1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic PT-AE100 good and bad!!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Joe Fernand, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Hello all

I see there are now two similar threads about this exciting new product so rather than post to both I thought a new thread was in order.

The good news - our demo PT-AE100 has been dispatched and will be with us in Edinburgh on Tuesday.

The bad news - if the info I have is correct the selling price incl. VAT will be around £2,229.00.*

So that starts a whole new discussion I guess - is this still the 'Must have' projector that we have all been waiting for!

I'll throw the question open to the floor and report back to everyone on our first impression once the wee cardboard box arrives on Tuesday - and if Gordon reads this then better dust off your passport for the long journey from Glasgow to Edinburgh (its a Scottish thing but the short 40 miles drive is a very long way you know!)

Regards

Joe

2. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I sense some flames about to hit Panasonic very soon!

announced as £1800 by various magazines... listed as even cheaper on foreign websites (£1000-1500)... price announced... £2229!

its not even £1800 plus vat...

did some at Panasonic realise they'd underpriced it maybe?

3. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    It looks like us Brits are gonig to cough up Panasonics profit for the whole world for this Projector :mad:
    I suppose it still seams reasonable if you compare the price to other 16:9 projectors in the UK.
    :( it's now gone out of my price range, I guess I may still go for it.

Joe,

I looked forward to you review of the PT.

4. wolfe

wolfe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surely one of us could go to Japan, arrange to buy a few boxes....organise UPS or DHL....get them shipped back here....we could still pay around £1300 per unit.

I'll go :D

5. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Wolfe, we could allways draw straw's ;)

6. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    So why do we have to pay 50%+ more for the same projector available everywhere else for a very good price?:mad:

Panasonic have an opportunity here to sweep the market from the word go! I hate the price 'em high then drop in time game. At £1500 - £1800 it looked very good value. But at £2229 it's just money grabbing.

7. wolfe

wolfe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So...according to Pricejapan.com the lowest Japanese price for the projector in question is 154k yen...thats just under £900...thats retail in Japan. Assume a heavy discounter of such goods will work on say a 10% margin...(unlikely to be that low but thats OK for this observation)....that makes tha price from Panasonic about £800....what then happens in the UK is that Panasonic UK buy from Panasonic Japan at an "export" price....usually 10% less than domestic "wholesale" price....add some shipping costs...(you can get a lot of stuff in a 40foot container and ship it worldwide for £2000!) that gives you a landed cost of approximately £900...add vat and customs duty...gives you maybe £1050 in your warehouse...add your 30% markup to your retailer...say £1350 ....dealer markup.....say 30% makes it about £1750+vat....£2050....spice the price to attract some business...£1999 retail in your store. The real killer is the 30% lift that Panasonic UK put on the projector. In Japan the retailer will buy from the manufacturer. In the UK we have built a culture of having a "middle man"....if Panasonic UK make any money over a year the excess goes to Japan....hence the high price of goods of this nature in the UK....you can buy the exact same identical item on the streets of Tokyo for approximately half what you will pay in a store here...only when we have a true "global" market without the extra margins being added at every turn will we get the kind of pricing structure that, by rights, we should have. The only way around this is to buy at source...or as close as you can get. Has anyone seen if Panasonic UK have an exclusion clause in their warranty support that specifically excludes goods not purchased in the UK? If they haven't then the only risk involved in buying from Japan is in the shipping...which can be insured...on the AVS forum the guy who bought one of these thru pricejapan says that the Remote and the projector are labelled in English...the power supply is dual 110/240 volt....its only the understandable reluctance of the UK consumer to buck the system that prolongs the perception that this is truly "Treasure Island" that we are living on!

8. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Cheers Wolfe.
    Now I'm really sad.:D

I think the real poblem is that when something goes wrong we are faced with a (wrong) battle against UK repair agents that claim you bought it abroad, tough, mentality.
    Else we would all buy cheaper and teach the over pricing bunch a lesson or two.

What 'Exactly!' is the law on imports.

Something that once cleared up, would most definately force price fixing out of the window.

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Wolfe

My buy price is higher than your estimates and I don't get a 30% margin! Historically we work mostly in the corporate world and have learned to live on smaller margins that high street retailers - who do have bigger costs I guess.

Panasonic UK is more complicated than you assume - there are in fact three separate companies - Consumer, Broadcast and Business systems; they all set there pricing independently! and they all buy independently. Panasonic is not unique in doing this.

As far as warranties goes we will have to wait and see - generally you may get a Pan European warranty but I'm not sure if you will get a world wide warranty that would cover kit from Japan.

The on-line reseller in Japan that you mentioned has caused quite a storm on the AVS Forum - in fact the owners of the forum have banned them from posting - until they come to some agreements on advertising. The owners of the AVS Forum are also an AV Reseller and recently lost a big sale and ended up out of pocket with a projector in stock and no owner for it.

I'll keep on pushing for the inside story on the pricing on this product and try to find out why it looks like it is going to be so expensive in the UK.

Regards

Joe

10. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Pannaonic are going to get very dirty over this if their pice is £2300. Talk about good public relations. Shot in the foot...

If it was priced at £1800 it would do well, £2300 their are in cloud cookoo land..:mad:

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The sad truth is, is that its not Japanese ripping of British people, its britsh people ripping off british people.

Panasonic Japan rely on Panasonic UK to set the price for the UK. They are not familiar with the UK market, and employ British people to set the price in UK. The Japanese are just interested in mass production and shifting product.

Now, all big UK companies are stuffed full of middle management. Our universities dont turn out engineers anymore (what would be the point - all the engineering industries gone), they turn out people with art degrees like history and media studies. These people feel too good to be packing shelves in the supermarket (where they belong) so they move into management. And then they pay themselves more and more, and employ more of their own kind, whilst reducing the salaries of the poor sods who do real work and laying them off.

The result is the prices need to be higher in the UK to pay for these Parasites. And what's more they feel justified. They take note of boards like this where idiots talk up the price.

BTW. I doubt that this projector will cost more than £1500 (street price). This is a new year and prices are falling. Panasonic has never premium priced against Sony (HS1 is the competition). Also, the spec of this projector aint nothing special.

12. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Comrade Indio has a very good point regarding the effect of our 'free' market research - I suppose it's because this is such a friendly & considerate forum we forget sometimes that the corporate dudes are reading this too - "hmm..these guys think that £1500 is a steal lets slap another £600 on it & see what they think..." and so on...what we need is some form of coding system where we can refer to bargainous products without letting the manufacturers/stockists know what we are thinking..and generally be negative towards prices 'no mater what', that way they'll never know for sure & we actually start paying what we'd like to be paying..

Up the revolution!

Berth;)

13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    El indio

You say this projector will never sell for more than £1500 'street price' that would mean me taking a substantial hit on the purchase price of the unit that is arriving this week - possibly once volume discounts are discussed the price will come down a bit.

Also we need to see what level of warranty is now included - there has been a big shift of late to include two or three year on-site swap out warranties in the price of a projector and that adds to the purchase price.

I wonder why we have ended up with this flawed system you talk about - if it was as easy and simple as you indicate why does Panasonic Japan bother to have Panasonic Europe and Panasonic Consumer UK, Panasonic Broadcast and Professional UK and Panasonic Business Systems UK.

I for one will be pushing to keep the price of this projector closer to the 'target' price pf £1500 that we were been told about when it was first announced.

Best regards

Joe

PS Possibly you could name the idiots on the forum just so we know who we are dealing with!

14. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,015
    I got a message on my answerphone from my local panasonic dealer on Friday evening (after I'd enquired about this projector but they didn't know when they'd get any)

He said that they were getting on in on Tuesday, and that it was on the books at £1500. So hopefully that means inc VAT (as he was talking to a retail customer)

I'll find out on Tuesday.

15. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The new warranty laws came in January, so the projector would carry a two year rtb warranty anyway. The electronics industry is geared up towards swap out warranties, which is why nearly all monitors come with a three year swap out warranty (even the ones costing £99exVAT). The only way the 3-year warranty could really effect the price (ignoring the fact that we pay 30% more than Japan anyway) is if the projector was unreliable and likely to break down during those years - in which case the chances of it breaking in the 4th year would be very high indeed.

I think you can bet on that. Remember that ruling that came in saying that retailers could no longer use the trick of quoting ex.VAT prices to non-commercial customers.

So question is what will Empire Direct, QED, etc charge. I'll go for £1399

16. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic aren't going to listen to the poeple they are going to shaft (ie us), but they may listen to the dealers, or even HCC. Maybe you guys can put in a group complaint to Panasonic about this sudden price rise!

Richard, where is this wonderfully co-operative Panasonic Centre you are dealing with? I have been wounded severely by my local Panasonic Centre so may be, if it's not to far away, I could give them call!

17. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Hello all

Well someone somewhere has obviously seen the light - I got a call about 30 minutes ago to say the price on the PT-AE100 looks to have been set at £1,499.00 ex vat (£1,761.32).

The price from ourselves will include a two year return to manufacturer warranty - I'm not sure if this will be the case with product sold through Panasonic Consumer Division - I was not aware of the new laws as outlined by el indio. Those going to a Panasonic Centre will need to confirm what warranty they are offered through that retailer.

Our demo unit will arrive tomorrow morning - we may even be the first dealer in the UK to have the product!

I wont see the projector until Wednesday so expect some initial feedback on Thursday - I'll be in touch with everyone who wrote about a demo in the next day or so.

Best regards

Joe

PS Now I'll need to haggle for a credit note on my order for the demo unit!

PPS There are only 40 of these projectors currently available for the whole of the UK. Dont stand still!

18. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Joe,

£1,761.32, not as bad as we thought then, I hope the call was from Panasonic ;)
    I wonder what your price is going to be then :eek:
    Could you please inform us on Panasonic's policy on their projectors having dead (open) pixels.

19. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Joe, do you do 0% credit?;)
    Cheers.

20. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    TimH

Yes the call was from Panasonic! though remember I don't deal with Panasonic Consumer division.

Pricing - I cant see us discounting this unit for a while; unless I can buy lots at one time my margin is pretty tight.

General Skanky
    I'm afraid we are a bit in the dark ages at the minute - we are only just looking into getting set-up for credit card sales.

I better add o% interest to the list of things to do I guess.

Regards

Joe

21. The Boogerman

The Boogerman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Joe, thanks for keeping us informed of developments. I guess its too early for having any idea of a proper release date?

22. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Audiovision in Brighouse, West Yorkshire told me last week that it would be available in around a month.

I guess that's the end of February.

Jonny

23. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe,
    Why dont you buy direct from Japan? If you could get a bulk price of say 800 quid for 6 or so units(pay your import duty and vat)-and you sell for 1500 quid(nice little earner...)-your gonna sell the 6 in the first couple of weeks?
    Doug

24. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Doug,

I think that authorised retailers can only buy from the official channel. If they do grey imports, they risk losing their licence.

Anyway, maybe it's me, but I'm not at all excited with this projector. It is clearly designed for NTSC widescreen playback, with a progressive DVD player. Any 4:3 material will look horrible. I wouldn't bet on its performance with 576i material either.

Now, the Panasonic PT-LC75 does look interesting. XGA, 1200 lumens, 400:1 CR, short throw... Any word on that, Joe?

Regards.

25. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,015
    I just got off the phone with my local panasonic dealer. He got one in this morning, and its £1499.99 inc VAT. Going to pick it up tonight for a test. (he doesn't have demo facilities, so he'll charge my credit card and give me 7 days to audition it)

Now I just need a screen sharpish!

26. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Richard, which nice Panasonic dealer is this?

£1499.99 inc vat... coool!

grubert... not sure about the 4:3 option, yes, there wont be as much resolution in comparision to a true 4:3 lcd when the panasonic is in proper (side?)boxed 4:3 mode.
    it does, however, have a just mode for stretching 4:3 material. if this is the same as my Panasonic TV (likely) then its actually very good in comparision to other makes.

27. brad123

brad123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Hello everyone. I've been following this thread since it started. I was looking at upgrading my 32 inch phillips to a 43 inch Tosh but Im thinking of going for this projector instead, especially after seeing a friends compaq onto his wall last weekend. Any chance one of you guys can post a quick review tonight after you've set it up and had a play. Maybe you could give us a set time and well log on to see your review.

Once again hi guys.

28. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    £1499, what a bargain. you could spend this much on a tiny 32" Panasonic instead.

Meat,

You still waiting for Easter ;)

29. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Hello All

OK, so after many phone calls and no end of prodding the price I now have is £1,499.00 inc. VAT.( I don't know where or why the pricing merry go round started with this product but there has been a serious amount of discussions going on behind the scenes)

There are only 40 of these projectors in the country and I guess all of them will have been snapped up as demo stock by dealers - it will be the end of Feb before the next shipment arrives.

I was only in the office for a few minutes today - we were hit by the storms yesterday so spent the day counting broken roof tiles, moving fallen branches and getting the generator set up in case we had a second night without power. (the joys of living in the country!)

First thing to say about the PT-AE100 is its 'tiny' and as for first impressions of its picture then definitely a bargain if you want big pictures for movie nights.

Will have more time tomorrow to spend viewing the image and will report back.

Regards

Joe

Grubert - we are getting a PT-LC55 tomorrow; don't know if we can keep it yet or have to wait on our own dem stock arriving next month.

Douglas Quaid - its a thought. Haven't gone down that avenue before and as per Grubert's post the boys in the suits would probably descend and rip up our dealership agreement.

30. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Grubert

I am sympathetic to this comment. I can't see why PAL users should downscale / reduce resolution in order to project a large image. The opposite is what we should be doing! It just doesn't make sense to me. We have 576i (and 576p by various means), why destroy it? NTSC doesn't, in fact they go to great length to match the panel to the NTSC resolution for optimum quality just like this Panny.

Are we saying we are being sold a NTSC device in a PAL country?:mad: