1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic PT-AE100 dead pixels? and lamps

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Bluecgi, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Bluecgi

Bluecgi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, I have been hearing many folks talking about dead pixels on the PT-AE100 around the av forums, I was wondering does this occur to this projector rarely or quite often (when it's brand new)? does it happen with other projectors too?

is this occurance be regarded as a defect in the machine, such that you should take it back to you seller and get it fixed/exchanged for free under warranty??

I am also wondering if after a year or so of use when the projector bulb/lamp is no longer working, can I buy a new lamp and install it myself, or do I need professionals to do that for me?
    is it easy to do?

thanks

2. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,044
    You probably won't be able to return a projector with a few dead pixels under warranty, depends on the mood of the service guys.

Even 10 or more wouldn't necessarily be enough.

Best thing to do (and one reason for buying from a dealer IMO) is to view the projector before you cough up. Then you can refuse even if it only has one dead pixel.

I think you can replace the lamp yourself - the manual goes through the procedure step by step - but it also recommends that you get it done by a technician, in case the old lamp explodes.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,675
    Yes. Most manufacturers of LCD devices have a policy regarding bad pixels which varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. I don't know what Panasonic's is. Some are very explicitly defined, others are vague.

The good news is that pixels rarely if ever fail during use; they fail during manufacture. So, the trick is to get a projector which is good when new; it will then most likely stay that way.

Buy from somewhere that you can view before you buy. Be prepared to pay a little more for this, or pay less (eg from a e-box shifter) and be prepared to live with the consequences.

4. Bluecgi

Bluecgi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the info, are the dead pixels very obvious when you look at the screen when it's turned on? or do you have to look hard to spot them?

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,675
    Pixels can "die" in two ways. They can die dark, or bright.

A bright pixel is easy to spot. Display a black or nearly black image (or mute the picture of the projector has such a feature, or even disconnect the input). Look for bright pinpricks, which may be green, red or blue. A bright pinprick is a bad, bright, pixel. Green ones are more noticable in real use than the other two.

A dark pixel is harder to spot and will matter much less in typical use. Manufacturer's tolerance for failed dark pixels is usually higher (ie more are acceptable) than for bright - precisely because they are much harder to see.

If you display a pure white image, and if, say, a green pixel has failed dark, there will be a pinprick of magenta against the white which will be barely visible, if at all.

To find failed dark pixels - you need to display three images - a pure red one, a pure green one, and a pure blue one. In each case, look for black pinpricks to indicate a failed dark pixel of the relevant colour.

Actually it is possible for pixels to fail in a partial state but this is rare. Again, hard to spot.

How noticable? It depends on:

- where in the picture - central will be more noticable than towards the edge

- native resolution of the device - more pixels means smaller pixels which means smaller pinpricks which are less visible.

- colour - a green failed bright is worst

- bright or dark - bright are relatively easy to spot, dark failures aren't.

- groupings - a couple of pixels at different corners of the screen will be less noticeable than two together

FWIW, my Sony VW10 has a single failed green pixel towards the top right of my picture. The VW10 has a high native resolution (1 million pixels) so the green spot is a millionth of the screen area in size. You don't see it in normal use. Even if you know where to look.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe (or anybody else that sell projectors)

As this is a common problem, do you visually check the projectors you sell for dead pixels, or is the case that the sheer number of sales means that this is impossible.

I am finding it hard to find anyone near me who sells the PT-AE100 so I am going to have to rely on mail-order or the internet retailers.

So one who would check a unit 1st fro dead pixels before sending it out would get my oder above one who wouldn't!

7. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,044
    If you buy in person, you should be able to get a viewing before agreeing the purchase. So you can check yourself.

In another thread, Joe Fernand mentions that he does a pre-delivery inspection for around £25 to check that there are no dead pixels. Might be worth a look.

8. Hoglet

Hoglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Andrew,

I posted this in one of the other threads. Gloucester is not that far away from you.

BTW, You're also welcome to come over to Bristol sometime if you want to take a look at my AE100. You might want to wait for me to sort out a proper screen though.

--- Dave

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for the invite Dave! I may get little frightened if I venture up to the BIG city from here in sleepy Taunton! I’d have to use the Motorway!

Seriously though, I was banking on my local Panny Centre for a demo & maybe even a purchase, but they were so rude & condescending (I guess ‘cos I knew more than they did!), that I gave up on them. I know that not all Panny Centres are the same so I am going to give Shop@Panasonic Exeter a go next, as it is a little closer to me than Gloucester, but I haven’t ruled out Hutchinsons!

Richard:- I will endeavour to “try before I buy”. I just thought that if dealers are willing to check before buying that it may save me a journey!

10. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,044
    My local shop@panasonic in Brighton let me buy on a seven day return, agreed in advance so I could demo at home. That would allow you to try it out and precheck for dead pixels. I'm surprised at the apparant differences in attitude between panasonic shops which should all be in the same dealer network.

11. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    If you are worried about dead pixels, I recommend that you buy from Joe "Media Factory"

http://www.tmfsolutions.co.uk/homecinema_projectors_panasonic.htm

He has the unit for £1,400, but if you want peace of mind to have a dead pixel free projector wiithout the ability to demo one yourself, he will take delivery of a unit and double check it for dead pixels. There is a £25 PDI fee to cover time and additional courier costs.

Seems to be the safest bet to me.

Punce

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  13. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No questions are silly mate. This forum provides valuable information to all.

We are not like the AVSFORUM, we help people of all levels of knowledge, that's why I love this forum so much. We need experts like Gordon and the rest, we need people like me who knows a little but not that much and we need the new recruits who know very little but ask questions that we will all benefit from.

Anyone know if this baby is getting reviewed anywhere?

Regards

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry that I upset you Stewart! I put the word silly in quotes to emphasize the fact that some people (our friends across the water fro one) may find our questions daft, including my own questions, yet these guys still find the time to answer them! No offence was intended!

I have been posting here for some 18 months now, both receiving & giving advice, so I know how we operate. It is sometimes the nature of these short typed messages that make them curt or abrupt, but no offence is intended!