1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic pt-ae 700 vs Sanyo plv-z2

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by suhail, Jan 14, 2005.

1. suhail

suhail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello!

Having decided to treat myself to a 'cinema' at home and having gone through the mind-numbing choice-making between DLP and LCD projectors I have finally whittled it down to either the PT 700 which has rave reviews and the Z2 which seems to have had rave reviews. On paper both have very similar tech specs.

I've seen the PLV 700 in action and am convinced about it.

But! The Z2 is 550 euros cheaper (tempting!!) but sadly not on demonstration anywhere. The salesmen here tend to push the later models. I've looked out for comparitive reports and have found none.

What's important to me is picture quality and a variety of connection possibilities ( pc,mac,games,VCRs,DVDplayers). I'm going to stick with this purchase for at least 3 years before I upgrade, so at this price it has to be the right one.

Opinions and advice appreciated greatly and needed badly!

2. DarrenH

DarrenH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi

I bought a Z2 'blind' after demoing the screenplay 4805 and the Panasonic 700. The demos helped me choose between LCD and DLP. I cannot give you a really objective view on the Z2 vs the 700 as I did not see them side-by-side, however, I am really pleased with the Z2. It is easy to set-up, excellent PQ (Which will obviously depend on the source you use) and a great deal cheaper than the 700 although using the same resolution LCDs but slightly lower specs on contrast and brightness.

If you saw them side by side, I guess you may see a difference, but you would be hard pushed to say which one is better for PQ otherwise. I paid £800 from nexnix, which was £400 + cheaper than any 700 I could find on the web.

Very pleased with it and love the lens cover flap! :clap:

3. suhail

suhail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks DarrenH for the advice...

Apparently the only real difference between the two is the contrast levels. I wonder whether its worth spending all those Euros for the AE700, not having seen the Z2 demo. A well done light-tight 'cinema' room might just do the trick and then I could go for normal contrasts (Z2)...or am I heading in totally the wrong direction here?
    The more I delve into the choice the scarier it gets as new issues keep popping up. Vertical banding is the latest scare. How bad is it on the Z2?
    As a source I plan to use my regular dvd player for most films. I dont have a DVI or HMDI socket on the back and for HD films I would use my PC, ditto for flight sims. Have you tried a variety of sources?
    What made you go for the Z2? that too blind? perhaps your technique of choosing would help me get through this tangle...
    Still hunting around for a Z2 demo.
    The problem is also that the interesting prices are all on the internet and since it's all sent by the post or courier I'm petrified of recieving a well deformed cardboard box which tinkles when shaken. After sales service is only a telephone number and sometimes it just rings and rings...But that's life and one has to pray hard.

4. therealijn

therealijn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fear not Suhail. :lesson: I bought a Z2 just before christmas from Nex Nix for £870 including pixel check and delivery. The PJ comes with a 3 year manufacturers gaurantee which is validated by the receipt you will receive (around 3 weeks after purchase in my case) from Nex Nix. Also, I don't know if you know but most credit cards give free insurance (up to about £1000 value) should your machine be mangled during shipment. Check with your card issuer on that. I had to buy blind as I couldn't find a demo anywhere near me. I can't fault the machine and I'm chuffed to bits with it. The only time I notice any VB/chickenwire effects is watching football when the camera pans quickly across the pitch and you occasionally see some lines (I think this is the chickenwire effect you read about). I may see it (and I'm taking about a split second here) once or twice during a match. I have never noticed it watching a movie, even fast action ones. Please don't get wound up by it as on a scale of 0 to 10 it scores a 0.0001 on irritation factor.
    If you can get a deal similar to mine and you definitely don't want to spend a kings ransome on your first projector, the Z2 is excellent value in my book. Remember, if you snooze, you lose.
    Good Luck. :thumbsup:

5. DarrenH

DarrenH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I do not notice any VB on my unit which is projecting onto a 2m wide screen. Personally, I would recommend it! Buy it, enjoy it, and don't worry about the small increase in pq (If you could notice it) for an extra £400. Buy a new DVD player instead! :clap:

6. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any reason why the AE700 over the Sanyo Z3? The Z3 has some menu options for vertical banding and is supposedly a step up from the Z2. It's also got a nice system for getting rid of dust blobs and can stand shoulder to shoulder with the AE700. Also, the Hitachi TX100 sounds like a little belter for £999 (search google for TX100 site:.uk for prices) - according to cine4home.de, it's superior in many ways to the Z2, Panasonic AE500 and even appeared to better the Sony HS20 in some departments. It's also very bright, so if you want a 3m wide image, this projector will do that for you - the screen door woud be quite visible, but if you're a wee bit short sighted like me, it's great! As always, it's swings and roundabouts.

It's a tough decision, one I'm going through myself. If any of the shops I'd called today had the TX100 in stock, I would have bought one... but now I'm back into "sitting on the fence" mode... waiting until the next rush of blood to the head.

7. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241

Why not use the PC for dvd playback? with it's ability to do 1:1 pixel maping the DVI connection from your PJ to your graphics card and post processing via software, It will knock the socks off a sub £1000 dvd player :)