1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic PS1 - Easy one hopefully

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by pclarke, Jul 27, 2003.

1. pclarke

pclarke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have just purchsed the Panasonic 28PS1 from JL (price match) and I am very pleased with it. I have been down the 100hz route before and the pictures just cannot compete with this Panasonic IMO. Geometry is very good, no inpurities obvious and no vertical banding :cool:

HOWEVER, is there any way of having two picture settings, one for analoge pictures and another for RGB. The brightness level on RGB needs to be turned down, but looks fine on normal TV. Therefore, when watching DVDs I need to keep changing the picture settings. Minor but still annoying. Service Menu perhaps???

I hope someone has the answer.

THANKS

2. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I don't own one of these sets, so I can't be certain, but it's highly unlikely that your tv will allow for different settings for different inputs.

I have components connected to my tv through RGB, S-video and composite, so I know exactly what you mean. I have optimised my settings for RGB, and find that these settings aren't ideal for the other inputs. I have to tweak my settings a little whenever I watch anything other than RGB, but luckily about 80% of my viewing is RGB (dvd and a digibox).

The only (non plasma) tv that I know of that allows for different settings for each input is the JVC HV32D25.

Sorry I can't be of much help.

Bob.

3. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +835
    the Panasonic PD30 also does it apparently

4. ganda

ganda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey m8, how much did you pay for this tele and whats JL?

5. Jimmi

Jimmi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    You sure about this ?, coz every Panasonic CRT I've seen is extremely bad in the vertical bending/banding department.

6. pclarke

pclarke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The geometry on the TV is good. There is a slight bend to top right but very slight. Used the THX included with T2. Sound is ok but intend to get home cinema seperates soon ;) No purity problems, put a white screen on and no patches!!!

Got the TV from JL in Peterbough for £390. Excellent service and a thoroughly enjoyable buying experience.

Thought about splashing out more but I don't think the money would have bought me a better picture. I just can't get used to 100hz, I tried but failed. Every TV will have a fault or ten, but you just have to find one you can live with.

Thanks for all the responses.

Any suggestions for the surround sound amp and speakers?

7. pclarke

pclarke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JL = John Lewis by the way:zonked:

8. Jimmi

Jimmi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Well I looked at the PS1 today and it did appear to have reasonable geometry. Strangely enough though the PS12 (which should be a better model) had poorer regulation and geometry.

Does the PS1 have geomagnetic correction (tilt control) ?.
    I couldn't find it on the menu but found it on the PS12, so I don't know if the PS1 has it. :confused:

The PS range also doesn't appear to have anyway of dealing with off screen subtitles (IE no option to gradually move the screen upwards), which seems od for a TV set of this price. :confused:

9. pclarke

pclarke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The TV does have a tilt control. Can only select it using the F key on the TV.

I also looked at the PS12 and was very disappointed. The TV does not have a way to nudge the picture up or down but a small price to pay for what is a very good picture.

I also looked at the Philips 6506 and JVC R25. The JVC has no tilt control (28") while the geometry on the Philips is pants.

Happy shopping:)

10. ganda

ganda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pclarke m8

i want to buy the same tele as you from jl

pls tellme the price match details and how i can order, if its online, web addy pls

no jl store near me

emil is - luki786@hotmail.com

thanks m8

11. pclarke

pclarke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ganda,

I price matched with techtonics.com. Phone your nearest JL store, mine was Peterborough. They were a bit shocked at the price but obliged all the same.

They all price match techtronics as they have a shop in Peterborough. Takes a few days for the letter from the under sales dept to come through. I then phoned the JL store back with my credit card and 'bobs your uncle'. TV delivered to me by a professional two man band in a shiny JL truck. :smashin:

5 Year guaranteeto boot :p

12. morettat

morettat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    pclarke - even though you got JL to price match Techtronics, did they still give you the Freeview box?

I just got JL Watford to price match them, but they said they wouldn't give me the box!

13. ellie666

ellie666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    we bought the ps1 from JL Watford (NO price match) for £439 and got a free panasonic freeview box. special deal about 2 weeks ago...
    unfortunately not on their website, but at that price just take a small van or large hatchback and drive, you'll still be better off. i checked "what video" magazine and couldn't get close to that price

14. Jamp

Jamp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not just give Techtronics the support they deserve for giving the best price? Is their service pants or something? Please tell me if so, I'm about to buy a PS1 from them! Unless you folks think I'd be better off with a Thomson 28WH203S - can't find anywhere that sells that though, just seen rave review in What Video.
    Any thoughts?

Cheers.

15. pclarke

pclarke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think there is anything wrong with Techtronics. I went to JL as I got the PS1 for £378 including a five year warrenty and a free digi box. The service at JL has been top notch too.

No contest really!!!

16. onzey

onzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jamp

If you are still looking for a Thomson 28WH203S I don't think you will find one. The What Video review (p59 September 03) should read 28WH201S which is the correct model number. If you have the magazine check also the top of page 12 which mentions the 201S (you have probably sussed all this by now as your post was back in August). These sets are in the latest Argos catalogue.

I am still considering the Thomson but have also started looking into the Panasonic TX28PS1. Did you buy a TV in the end and are you happy with it?

onzey

17. pclarke

pclarke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Onzey,

I went through 3 Panasonic PS1, all with the same fault. The convergence to the left of the screen is awful. This means you often get a red line seperating light and dark colours. I searched high and low to find one that didn't but was eventually told by comet that this is a cheap tv, you can't expect it to be perfect. The fault was fundamental and I would not recommend the TV on these grounds. Sound was crap too. Get what you pay for.

Check carefully and good luck

Pclarke

18. onzey

onzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for reply pclarke.

I believe you bought your PS1 (all three?) from John Lewis and I may well be buying from them. Did you have any problems returning the set(s) and getting a refund? Also, when you say the fault was fundamental do you mean it will be impossible to get one without the fault you mention?

onzey

19. pclarke

pclarke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Onzey,

I looked at the Panasonic in lots of shops and could not find one that didn't have these problems. I everntually went for a SonyFX68 and although the picture is good, the flicker IMO is unacceptable for a 100hz tv. JL sent an engineer around today and he agreed - looks like this tv is going back too.

Not sure what to get next - getting ****** off with the whole thing to be honest.

JL have been very good and would recommend them. Good luck but check the panasonic first as the engineer today agreed that they are not that good.

Have fun.

Pclarke

20. morettat

morettat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Funnily enough, I'm now on my third PS1 from John Lewis as well.

First one - tube OK but scratches on cabinet.

Second one - no scratches but tube had severe problems.

Third one - tube OK like the first one. Not perfect but I suppose that's the price you pay for getting a Panasonic 28" Widescreen for £378.

I'd been testing the tubes with a THX Optimiser on a DVD. There are still a few problems on the PS1 I've kept, but funnily enough I played the test for the first time on my 6 year old 32" Panasonic Widescreen. The picture and geometry is absolutely perfect! Although the tube is not flat and it cost around £1,400 at the time.

21. onzey

onzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replies.

I think I am getting put off the idea of buying a TV altogether. Looks like it's too much agro. I bought a camcorder (Panasonic) towards the end of last year and had over 4 months of hassle with that. I don't want to go through a lot of nonsense now buying a TV.

I wonder what happens to all these PS1's that are sent back? Do they get passed on to other sellers as seconds?

In case I do take a chance on the PS1 could you guys tell me which branches of JL you purchased from please? You seem to have a got a slightly better deal so I could get my branch to phone them. Many thanks.

onzey

22. pclarke

pclarke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got mine from JL peterborough - excellent service, price matched Techtronics.com

morettat, do you have any convergence errors on your tv? I first noticed them using the THX disc (the screen with all the lines etc). On one side the lines were perfectly white and on the other they had yellow/red outlines. Also noticed it with scrolling horizontal text.

Geometry was not that good either, especially on the third tv. If you got a good one - congratulations!

23. morettat

morettat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No - haven't seen any colour problems.

There's a slight crinkling in the vertical lines in the middle - very slight on this TV, horrendous on the other one.

As has been said elsewhere, all 'cheap' TVs have problems, and I know Panasonic is amongst the best.

What Hi-Fi have the 28PS1 as their recommended TV for Home Cinema systems costing less than £1,500.

24. jie^

jie^

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've followed the discussion on TX28PS1 for some time now and i've seen good and bad things. I've just bought one for 4500 SEK (346 GBP) and i am quite happy with it. however, i have not test it with DVD yet so i can not yet tell it's full performance. what problems should i look for?

Does anyone know how to get into service menu?

25. pclarke

pclarke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check for convergence errors and geometry problems. The first is particularly bad on this TV. I did not notice it for a week at first but then it was there and I found it unacceptable - as you do.

Use the THX optimiser as a starter to check it out. I got into the service menu but you can only correct simple geometry problems and not convergence errors. Cant remember how to now but do a search on the forum and you will find out how.

I don't think this TV is 100% compatible with Sony DVD players as on all three tvs, the top 1cm was wavey (is that a word??). Not present on my current Sony set. If you do experience this problem, you can use the service menu to crop it off the screen.

I hope yours is ok. If you get a good one (if they exist) then I think the set is good value for money. GOOD LUCK

pclarke

26. jie^

jie^

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am testing the set now and i am very happy with the picture quality.

I notice some slight errors when watching TV broadcasts, but that may be the signal quality... can you describe / define what "convergence error" is... it way be the slight errors i see on some tv channels. etc strong red colors have a purple shadow or so that you can see when close to the tv.

DVD quality is very good. I have tested with Amélie DVD which is very colorful and nice. And with Band of Brothers dvd which is not so colorful but intence / fast moving scenes. I could not detect any problems with either of the DVDs picture; in fact, i can compare the picture with my fathers new £1000 32" Finlux tv, which has a philips tube like the some of the 9xxx series but equipped with more enhanced picture tech.

Sound output on the tv is good for a TV of this price, it has fairly good bass and good clearity. However it is not enough for a movie nerd - homecinema freak, but it'll do until you purchase real home cinema system speakers and such.

It may or may not be that the shop i bought the tv from had a batch of these tv's that were not so faulty. This TV i am gonna keep for a long time, if it not decides to commit seppuku or fall of the table or be struck by lightning or any other things that might kill it.