Panasonic projectors any good?

Kootuu

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi, currently in the process of researching some older projector models that meet my needs (throw ratio, lcd, etc). I've come across the Panasonic PT-AE3000 which reviewed excellently when it released but I just wondered if this would be a good choice as a used projector?

This would be my first projector and as a comparison, my budget for something new would be an Epson 5300. Having demoed that I wasn't massively happy with the grey blacks after using Plasma's for the last 10 years.

Is the AE3000 still a good projector if you can find one in a decent condition? I was also looking at the Epson TW3200 and Sanyo PLV-Z2000 but they seem to review slightly worse than the AE3000.

Thanks,
Chris

Since you're looking for inky blacks, and with the budget you have, maybe the best option might be to wait for a used JVC to show up in the Classifieds.

I owned a 3200 and although not the 3000, I did have a couple of older model Panasonic pjs, all were great, the Epson in particular, but I could never say the black levels on any of them were fantastic.

Hey, thanks for the input. I'm not necessarily looking for inky blacks as the room it's going in won't be a full on bat cave (i.e. dark walls, but light ceiling).

I can get the TW3200 for about £200 less than the AE3000 (although it does come with an unopened Panasonic bulb) but I've found it hard to see any comparisons between the two to help understand if that extra money is worth paying.

I've got a relatively short distance to the screen (about 2.5m) so I'm somewhat limited on projector choice as I notice rainbows on DLP's.

Chris

If you can be sure of it's history, my own preference would be for the Panny, particularly since it has a spare bulb.

The Epson is a fantastic machine for the price, and you could be lucky with yours, but mine was plagued by dust blobs to the point of being replaced under warranty, and then the replacement suffered the same problem.

Which ever one you do end up going for you can always buy something like an ND2 filter and stick it over the lens, that'll help with the blacks without hurting the brightness too much.

Yea I've been thinking about adding an ND2 filter at some point. The Panasonic has been owned by 2 people but only has about 1500 hrs on the original bulb so doesn't appear to have been run that much considering it's age.

Both the Panasonic and Epson use the same panel with the exception that Panasonic adds something called "smooth screen technology".

Comparing motion to both and the Panasonic even has the JVC's at this as they used to be one of the industry leaders.

Black detail, I feel they will be similar. Colour wise, the Panasonic should be better with the new bulb. Remember, LCD's do dilute there LCD panels after long usage, so if there both on there first lamp, then that's cool for the next lamp, however if either are on there third or forth, then you may wish to view them first to see what they are like.

Panasonic's also had a tendency for mis-uniformity on white screens. Whilst watching movies though, they were usual fine.

If it was my money. I would choose the Panasonic. It also has something called "Memory Zoom" very nice feature if you can use it, can make if difficult with placement if you wish to use it though.

Regards, Shane.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom