1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

panasonic problems! any ideas?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mikeallen, Apr 23, 2003.

1. mikeallen

mikeallen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can anyone advise me on the following, rather annoying fault that has just developed on my player? i have a panasonic dvd-rv41 that i have had for about 18 months.last week i watched a movie and then started watching another straight after. about 10 mins into the second movie the picture froze and i could do nothing to the machine, either by using the remote or the controls on the set. every command, e.g stop,open,close. showed on the display when i pressed the appropriate buttons but nothing happened. i had to unplug the unit from the mains and give up. the following day i tired the unit and it worked perfectly. about a week later i was watching another movie and about an hour into this one, same problem, only this time the display momentarily showed an error code of H03. according to the instructions the H codes show a fault but it does not state the meanings of the various numbers, unless i contact an authorised service engineer.
    i am sure this is something to do with either condesation or dust inside the machine, but would appreciate any advice on how to overcome this problem without having to suffer the costs of an engineer
    many thanks
    mike allen

2. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well you could try compressed air and or a dvd lens cleaner if you think it is dusk. If it's out of warrenty you don't have to worry about opening it (and if its under warrenty and there are no seals just make sure and use a good sharp screwdriver ;)). Most players are simple enough to take the lid off. Then just give it a blast with the compressed air. I'd try the lens cleaner first though. Oh and make sure its unplugged if you are going to open it up ;)

To be honest it sounds more like overheating to me though. Is their anything stacked above or below it?

3. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    My RV41 died after about 20 months. Refused to play anything!
    Cleaned lens, checked for any obvious problems....no joy..:(

I wondered if overheating killed it, but it was only on top of a cool Panny VCR.

Trashed it and got a RA82..:D

4. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Overheatings a funny thing. I had an ondigital box on top of my old 709 and it was enough to cause no end of problems.