1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic - Please help!!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Dream Weaver, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Dream Weaver

Dream Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I recently bought a Panny 28PL10, and after 3 weeks it seems to have a few problems.

It has the sound buzz thing, and also jagged edges when you change to 4:3 or 14:9. It also has a few vertical lines when watching footie.

However, now it has also started shaking - the picture that is :(

When the picture stops on a scene for a few seconds, you can see the whole picture moving from left to right - like it is wobbling :( And the background lights and shadows seem to flash on and off (i.e. they get brighter or dimmer).

Not sure what this is, but will it cost me anything to get Empire to send an engineer out? And has anyone ever contacted Empire for this? They were crap when I was waiting for the TV - not sure whether to trust them with repairs/replacements.

DW

2. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Hi,

I'm renting a 28PL10 and for the most I'm reasonably happy with it.

The two bars down each side sadly seem to be on every PL set (they were mentioned on the 32PL10 What Video review).

Not seen the jagged edges though on 4:3 or 14:9 modes. When the set zooms in to different modes the picture can look a little out of focus when not in 100hz mode.

Mine buzzes very slightly but its just the transformer and not the speakers (plus only noticable from the back of the set).

Now the shaking.......well I've noticed that static menus on Sky Digital are fine then just momentarily move from left to right ever so slighlty (split second) then return.

It seems to do this on the RGB input only but never does it with my Toshiba DVD player or Dreamcast in the same modes.

My Pioneer ITV digital box did the same.

I can't be bothered to get it looked at as I've come to the conclusion most products are far from perfect and its rented.

Most of the time the TV produces a very nice picture.

I hope this helps,

Damian:)

3. blackbull

blackbull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dream Weaver I would like to assure you that the problems you mention are not universal as I have had my PL10 for a month and have suffered none of the faults you describe. When you talk about the "jagged edges" when changing screen size is it a bowed effect or more of a saw tooth appearance because the former can be addressed via the service menu (I have noticed several threads on this topic simply do a search under "Panasonic service menus" or similar and you will find how to do this. This can be done by yourself without having to call out an engineer but obviously with a buzzing set Empire Direct will have to be your first port of call.

Good Luck

P.S. Damien Arstall what is this non 100hz mode you referred to?

4. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Blackbull. Sorry I meant flicker reduction on/off mode.

Thanks,

Damian:)

5. Dream Weaver

Dream Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks guys

Blackbull - the jagged edge is bowing. It bows out at the top, bottom and sides, and is very noticeable when using the PS2.

The picture also bends on ITV when in 16:9, which then goes for Panasonic Auto.

I have tried the service menu, and although you canchange the bowing slightly, you can never get it straight.

Just have to put up with the niggles I spose. :(

DW