1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Plasmas

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by chrisw, Aug 11, 2005.

1. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I've decided that a Panny Plasma is for me.

What I've not decided on is which one. The offer on the PW7 is very tempting from a price perspective, but is it 'future proof'?

I like the panel's as much as the tvs, but just can't seem to decide what the best route is.

I don't want a plasma that can't take HD from Sky next year - so what options do I have.

2. UKseless1

UKseless1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
  3. peterakastorm

peterakastorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The PWD7 could be futureproof, by adding a scaler, right?

4. peterakastorm

peterakastorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No one wanna answer that?

5. UKseless1

UKseless1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    peterakastorm

Answer is that a scaler will display hd images on a PWD7 (it will scale them to fit) but a scaler is about £600-£800 but it is apparently a device that can improve even the HD ready screens.

I'm sure someone with a lot more experience than I will be along shortly to put the correct technical jargon and explanation in place. Just be aware that they are quite expensive devices.

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    A scaler like the Lumagen DVI will give very good results on your standard definition tv and DVD, you can also then use it for HD when it arrives but you would have to scale to 720x576p/50 or you could just use it to convert the 50Hz to 60Hz.

The laumagen is £695 at the moment which is a great price, and combine this with £999 for a pw7 it starts to look very tempting.
    What price is the PW8 on its own?

7. peterakastorm

peterakastorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The PWD8 is around 1500£... but what about an iScan for example? That isn't as good as lumagen?

And will the PWD7 + a Lumagen scaler produce better pictures than a PWD8 on its own?

8. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    You need an iScan HD+, not sure on price and not spent alot of time with them, but sure others can comment on differences?

Yeah the pw7 and Lumagen will give a far better picture, unless Panasonic have added some serious processing on the 8 series that none of the owners have noticed yet!

9. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    The PWD7 with a Lumagen DVI or preferably an HDP will undoubtably produce a better picture than a PWD8 alone provided the Lumagen is set up properly. The degree of picture "tweakability" that the Lumagens offer is second to none though to get the best out of them you need the analysis equipment to work out what is going on, set it to perfection then watch stunning pictures.

10. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris...just go and get one of the 500 series, you know you want to lol

11. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    What is your budget?

av sales are doing the PHD7 screen for £1920! get that now and a scaler in a few months. Awesome combo.

12. peterakastorm

peterakastorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking about a PWD7? Because the budget isn't that big ;)

13. peterakastorm

peterakastorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So do I get it right?

I could go PWD7 now, wait a while (I'm from Denmark, and we won't see HDTV for another year or more), then get an iScan HD+, and then be able to display HDTV on my PWD7?

14. peterakastorm

peterakastorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or a Lumagen? Will either work for displaying HD sources?

15. strees

strees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually this interests me too. A £999 plasma which can then display HD sources at a later date is a no brainer ...

16. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Though the standard def plasma will display the high def material it won't be high def - there is no substitute for the extra pixels that come with the HD panel.

17. peterakastorm

peterakastorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know that...

But it's the capability I'm after... Will either one of them make HD sources viewable on the PWD7?

18. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Yes, the Lumagen will do it.

19. Snap

Snap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Why don't you order PHD7's in Germany?
    They cost 2400 euro here (1650 pounds)...

20. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    Thta is a good price, but there would be shipping of approx. €250, then import duty of 6% and vat on 17.5% of the total, I suppose you could knock off the 16% german tax though?

21. peterakastorm

peterakastorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, thats right... but it stil isn't HD ready? Where did you see it at 2400 euros?

22. peterakastorm

peterakastorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shipping for me is about 100€ because I live in Denmark. And EU countries don't pay tax, and import duties. The pay the tax of the coutry you buy the TV in.

23. Snap

Snap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It has optional HDMI and DVI input boards but only for 60 Hz video signals.
    ebay.de have two retailers who have the warehouses in Hannover.
    UK don't pay any tax or VAT for EU purchases.
    The shipment cost is around 100 euro to UK.
    for example:
    http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5797530577&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

I can't find now another one for 2300 euro...

24. gnikolaidis

gnikolaidis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are no import duties and additional VAT costs if you buy something from an EU country (UK friends wake up! your country is a member of the EU). Shipping costs are approximately euro 72 (that how much I got charged from ordering from www.technikdirekt.de).

25. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,195
    It's a good price but I still think that after you have included delivery, wall mount and currency conversion you will save less than £100 compared with AV-Sales.

I for one would prefer to buy from known, respected and local source than from an eBay dealer. I'm not saying the eBay dealer is bad I just know that if I PM AV-Sales with all manner of technical questions I will get prompt and imformative answers. Likewise if I was unlucky to receive a faulty item I know that AV-Sales will sort it out immediately without any cost to me. I'm not so confident I would get the same level of support from the eBay dealer.

Cheers,

Nigel

26. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    Yeah of course, I am thinking of all the stuff I buy from the states and Japan.

But even at £1650+£75 shipping it soon gets too close to make it worth while doing.

27. DFL

DFL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Alright. It's sinking in. I'm sorry to the veterans here for re-hashing, but here we go... If I get a PHD7 and a Scaler (which is an external Video Processor) -->
    The screen is XGA ie 1024 x 768. HDTV signal is not in XGA its in 720p/1080i horizonal lines (don't know vertical)

The screen will not allow native resolution 1024x768 @ 50 Hz which is the best pixel mapping configuration, but I can get close with the scaler and let the tv resize the image.

I can receive 720p/1080i @ 50 Hz ONLY via an analogue input.

I can receive 720p/1080 i via DVI (a digital input) BUT ONLY @ 60Hz. This is the port to receive Sky HD/ Blue Ray/ HD-DVD in and it is ready to allow an HDCP signal if i have a 60Hz source. I don't though because I live in PAL/Sky land. If I do feed it there I get nasty FRC and downsizing.

However SkyHS/Blue Ray/HD-DVD will be PAL which is 720p/1080i @ 50Hz and if I want to watch it on a PHD7 it will need to converted to 768p (60Hz) or 576p (50Hz). The alternative is to find a "MAGIC BOX" (I know I can't name it) which will allow me to take origninal source directly to TV.
    (Confused here - because I would still want to feed it into the external video processor eg. Lumagen HDP somewhere wouldn't I?)
    I digress, THe PHD7 boards currently mean if I want a digital source fed into the tv, it will need Frame Rate Conversion or be downscaled to 576p @ 50Hz.

I have read that Good analogue (Component in HT land is progressive YUV) is better than bad Digital (cheap DVD player outputting via DVI/HDMI)
    I've seen you guys say that RGBHv is best - but I don't really know what that is, I presume it s Red, Green, Blue Component in its truest sense, and this is THE board I should have for a PHD7.

Other considerations:
    Lip synching problems - get a lip synch correcter (JS tech?)
    NTL/Sky box via S-Video or Scart
    PC to Plasma (to be used sparingly) via HD15 (what's this?) or DVI
    Marantz DVD 4500 progressive scan only via analogue ie component but which?
    Have Marantz SR4300 AV receiver - sound sorted, but ?switches video signal
    If I want fun stuff - scart should be ample ?? eg. XBOX 360/PS3

In conclusion:
    The panel should have at minimum
    1. VGA input
    2. Component ie RGBHv not YUV
    3. SCART

4. Get DVI (HDCP) later & Get stripper later
    5. Get Lumagen HDP later ?? or NOW??

6. Need AV receiver (have Marantz SR4300) I think it does allow switching for DVD and TV switching, but do at lest have audio sorted for now.
    7. Should upgrade DVD to an upconverting one soon eg Pioneer 868, Denon 3910 or Marantz 9500 (this will happen before I can afford an HD-DVD/Blue Ray machine)
    8. Need to uprade AV Receiver to better switching or upscaling capabilities.

Guys, I know you said it was daunting but this is taking the P***. Then we have the issue of the PHD8 allowing 720p and 1080i at 50Hz via HDMI/DVI (probably not at native resolution) and better blacks. You would still use the scaler because you get to fiddle with gamma/grey scale etc.

Am I missing any issues? Will I find myself with a horrible lack of connections if I don't just bite the bullet and get the scaler straight away?
    I'm on the right track aren't I? Will I find Zen peace make my friends jealous, be future proofed, and have a kick ass Home Cinema? I sure hope so.
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: