1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic plasmas only have a 15,000 hour life?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by TheBoingoBandit, Aug 18, 2004.

1. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I was reading a review of the Samsung 63 inch plasma and I came across this quote...

"Samsung claims a 1000:1 contrast ratio. I don’t have a way of measuring this, but it does seem reasonable in comparison to other sets I have seen and their reported stats. About the highest I have seen claimed is 3000:1 by Panasonic, and their sets do seems to have great contrast. Industry conjecture is that Panasonic achieves this by driving their phosphors harder, which gains extra contrast but at the cost of screen life. A typical plasma TV has a life expectancy of 30,000 hours, but a Panasonic supposedly has one of 15,000 hours."

Full review: http://www.revolutionhometheater.com/equip/samsung/index.html

Is this true as I've never heard of Panasonics having half the life of other plasmas?

If so, that's pretty poor.

2. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    That's not right: I'm sure that panny quote normal hours use (I'm sure it's quoted in some earlier threads). Strange thing to put "industry conjecture" regarding one set in a review of another set.

I'm sure that one of the panny experts will be along shortly to blow that "conjecture" out of the water.

3. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Boingo,

The review is a load of rubbish! Plasmas dont work for x hours then at x +1 stop working (unless they develop a fault!). Over their life the light output gradually decreases. The point at which it is half of what it was when new is normally regarded as the "life time" of the panel. The time that it takes to reach this point alters according to how the panel is calibrated. If it is running with contrast set at loony levels (which many are out of the box) then life is significantly reduced. One of the major selling points of ISF calibration is that it greatly increases the expected life of a display.

Piers
    Home Cinema Engineering
    www.homecinemaengineering.com

4. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I do know about how plasmas wear out, but generally companies say that theirs have an average life time of 30,000 before 50% of brightness is reached. (Although Samsung claim 50,000 on their current models.)

I just felt that it was strange Panasonic would only be able to achieve their excellent contrast ratio by having a much shorter life so I wanted to check this as I've never heard this mentioned before.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    TheBoingoBandit

Panasonic include the following in the Series 6 Product guide:

'Panasonic plasma display panels boast a long service life of approximately 60,000 hours*

*the time it takes the panel brightness to reach half its initial brightness'.

The review you've read is possibly based on info from much earlier 2nd or 3rd Series Panasonic Displays and as Piers points out these figures are no exact science as the half life figure will vary from unit to unit depending on how they are configured and calibrated.

Best regards

Joe

6. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Reviewer talking rubbish
    samsung contrast 3000:1
    samsung Brightness: 1000 cd/m2
    panny contrast 4000:1
    the reviewer don't know diff between brightness and contrast!
    both expected to last approx 100,000 hours till 50%