Panasonic Plasma's more susceptible to Screen Burn?

sp00d

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just called a "reputable dealer" to enquire about viewing a few Plasma's at the weekend, and one of these was the Panasonic TH42PZ80. After asking what my main uses for the set were, the guy told me that I shouldn't go for a panasonic as I will be gaming a lot and they are more susceptible to screen burn due to not having "a screen burn filter or pixel moving technologies", and that I would be better going for an LG or an LCD.

Is this true? I expect some risk of screen burn with any plasma, but are Panasonic really worse for this?

Thanks.

Panasonic plasmas are some of the best for preventing screen burn!
A member of this forum who runs an AV shop said a while back (IIRC it was on another AV forum) that of all the plasmas he had on display the Panasonics were the best at resisting screen burn or retention.
I am now on my second Panny plasma in about 5 years and have never seen any retention on mine - although I don't use it for gaming.

Mark.

No - more likely he does not sell Panasonic, and wants to sell you makes that he can supply.

The panels might be different to the consumer TV's but I've had monster gaming sessions on mine (12 hours of constant COD4) with only a bit of retention that went after an hour of normal TV.

Go easy on the brightness and contrast and keep the gaming sessions down to a couple of hours for the first 200 or so hours and you won't have any problems.

No - more likely he does not sell Panasonic, and wants to sell you makes that he can supply.

In Curry's a couple of weeks ago a young couple were talking to the salesman about Plasmas.

The guy said he'd heard that Pioneer or Panasonic were the best to get.
The salesman replied that that was a total myth and without doubt the best Plasmas on the market were LG or Samsung.
I summoned up all my willpower and walked away.

I shouldn't go for a panasonic as I will be gaming a lot and they are more susceptible to screen burn due to not having "a screen burn filter or pixel moving technologies", and that I would be better going for an LG or an LCD.
latest LG plasmas seem susceptible to Image Retention (check out the PG6000 threads...). Never seen IR on my Panny.

Hi Guys,

Just called a "reputable dealer" to enquire about viewing a few Plasma's at the weekend, and one of these was the Panasonic TH42PZ80. After asking what my main uses for the set were, the guy told me that I shouldn't go for a panasonic as I will be gaming a lot and they are more susceptible to screen burn due to not having "a screen burn filter or pixel moving technologies", and that I would be better going for an LG or an LCD.

Is this true? I expect some risk of screen burn with any plasma, but are Panasonic really worse for this?

Thanks.

What he said was fairly true considering...

Panasonic px80 ( not sure about the pzs ) - has no orbiter, screen wash or other "Prevention technologies"

Samsung Plasmas - Have orbiter / whitewash etc

LG Plasmas - Have orbiter / whitewas etc

Pio Plasmas - Have orbiter...

Philips - not a clue ...

And when people say panasonics have no retention ...? Rubbish My Panasonic 42px80 has tonnes of image retention, even a tiny little menu produces a painfully obvious ghosted image on the screen. However gaming for hours often produces nothing.

Stop being so biast to Panasonic screens, whist they are good screens they arnt the best. And they have there downsides.

Retention
Sound
terrible Phosphor Lag (much worse than any LG or Samsung screens ive seen)
Lack of advanced image settings
Lack of swivel stand all come to mind.....

:smashin:

What he said was fairly true considering...

Panasonic px80 ( not sure about the pzs ) - has no orbiter, screen wash or other "Prevention technologies"

Samsung Plasmas - Have orbiter / whitewash etc

LG Plasmas - Have orbiter / whitewas etc

Pio Plasmas - Have orbiter...

Ever considered the Pana doesn't have it because... it doesn't need it?
From what I've seen, I understand why Samsung and LG have it in their sets....

And when people say panasonics have no retention ...? Rubbish My Panasonic 42px80 has tonnes of image retention, even a tiny little menu produces a painfully obvious ghosted image on the screen.

I also have a 42PX80 and haven't seen the slightest IR (even after my daughter leaves a static dvd menu for an hour...).
Maybe you should get your plasma out of dynamic settings?
:D

Retention
Sound
terrible Phosphor Lag (much worse than any LG or Samsung screens ive seen)
Lack of advanced image settings
Lack of swivel stand all come to mind.....

• No retention.
  • Sound is at least as good as on my old Toshiba rptv, for really great sound get a dedicated system (or a PZ85).
  • Phosphor lag? Again, get out of dynamic. :rolleyes:
  • Even without dynamic settings and using hdtvtest settings you get near perfect balance, so no need for hundreds of different settings. (Panasonic TH42PX80 Plasma Calibration & Benchmark Test)
  • Indeed, why bother with picture quality? The tv doesn't have a swivel stand, so it can't be as good as Samsung or LG. :rotfl:

Couldn't agree more my friend.

I have had 2 pana's now, and I've not bought these because I am a fanboy, I have bought them as they offer the best value for money in terms of the quality you get from them.

I have not seen any amount of image retention or burn on my screens, so as far as I am concerned, panasonic can continue making their TV's without the orbiter etc!

LG and Samsung have the reputation for screen burn and image retention for a reason. Even with their fancy features, they still cannot prevent it. Read into that what you will. I know where my money would be going.

To sum it all: If you browse through the hundreds of posts for 100s of threads, you will find that the most recommendations for a plasma are mostly Panasonic. Reason being they are the best value for money, trustworthy and never lets u down. Its not a marketing bullcr@p its a genuine user's comment

To sum it all: If you browse through the hundreds of posts for 100s of threads, you will find that the most recommendations for a plasma are mostly Panasonic. Reason being they are the best value for money, trustworthy and never lets u down. Its not a marketing bullcr@p its a genuine user's comment

I agree :thumbsup:

Ok, many thanks for the responses guys. Makes me feel a lot better :smashin:

I used to be the director of a Large brown goods repair centre.
We were service agents for All manufacturers and I bought a Panasonic (From a repair view ease of spares and agent backup)

IR I left mine connected to my PC desktop over night woke up to find a windows xp logo burnt onto the screen went to work very very cheesed off came home and it had gone. That was in the 1st week. If it wasnt for the purple snakes I would have said that the first tv I had ever bought was the best tv I had ever owned

I would never buy a sony

But I am thinking of replacing my 42px600 with a pioneer 5090 I had a pioneer 50" rear Projector that was almost as good as a CRT

Last edited:

I also have a 42PX80 and haven't seen the slightest IR (even after my daughter leaves a static dvd menu for an hour...).
Maybe you should get your plasma out of dynamic settings?

• No retention.
  • Sound is at least as good as on my old Toshiba rptv, for really great sound get a dedicated system (or a PZ85).
  • Phosphor lag? Again, get out of dynamic. :rolleyes:
  • Even without dynamic settings and using hdtvtest settings you get near perfect balance, so no need for hundreds of different settings. (Panasonic TH42PX80 Plasma Calibration & Benchmark Test)
  • Indeed, why bother with picture quality? The tv doesn't have a swivel stand, so it can't be as good as Samsung or LG. :rotfl:

Ive got a PX80 sat in my bedroom, and a pio 4280 sat my lounge, ive also had a pana pz70 ( faulty with black horizontal lines in background, 3 samung m86s .... another pio 428 which buzzed like crazy and had a group of dead pixels )

I also looked at the PG6000s the Q97s extensively, and have very good experience with the more recent samsung screens and the lg pg3000:

Image quality on the Panasonics is generally better for DVD and freeview due to the superb processing ( in comparison to lg and samsung ), in comparison to my 4280 they arnt even close.

Sound on the LG42PG6000 is miles better than what i have on my Panasonic screen, whilst samsung is worst of the lot - This is fairly irrelevant considering i have sound systems connected to both my TVs ....

Phosphor trails are *much* less notable on the LG and samung ( and my pio ) than on any panasonic plasma ive ever seen. ( my old pz70 ,my current px80, pz800s ive seen in shops all of them ... )

Black levels are comparable on the samsungs Lgs and the px80s, i find detail is lost in the blacks on my px80 not on my pioneer.

In terms of settings i spend alot of time changing settings on my panels based on oppinions here. Certainly not on dynamic, i like a crisp lifelike picture with good skintones.

For gaming i like a nice clear sharp picture with minimal phosphor lagging and not much input lag, here is the panasonic falls sharply on its face. When ive tested my 360 on the lgs and samsung plasmas using guitar hero type games and other time critical games, they have consistantly proved better than the panasonic screens ive seen. Also the LG screens give a much sharper image which is perfect for computer gaming, the panasonics always are too "soft", samsungs have so many settings they can be either - So here the PG6000 comes out on top.

In terms of reliability, my friend whom works at a well known retailer informs me the most common screens back are either the Unbranded rubbish, hitachi screens ( the ld6600s comes to mind ) and older LG panels, with a few samsung panasonic and rarely a pioneer. So with that in mind Panasonics seem to be fairly reliable in terms of televisions, LG seem to have increased quality control with the recent versions of panels.

Saying that panasonics don't need orbiter isn't the point, i was simply trying to say the guy on the phone didn't lie. He said exactly what was right. Plus imo Panasonic screens would do brilliantly with orbiter.

Im simply trying to say Panasonics are not the "best" at everything, whilst they are good. Nice and easy to use without 10 billion confusing settings, each screen is better for different things.... Keep an open mind, take in what people have to say, there experience with different screens. Im a quality whore, if i spend money on a screen it has to be within my expectations of it. I will carefully compare things for hours on end to make sure im getting exactly what i need, whilst user opinions are valid. Imo just take a look at the screens and see what you think yourself.:smashin:

I would never buy a sony

But I am thinking of replacing my 42px600 with a pioneer 5090 I had a pioneer 50" rear Projector that was almost as good as a CRT

Hi mattyg,

I replaced my sony 40w2000 lcd for a Pioneer 5090 3 weeks ago and I have to say it is the best tv I've owned by a long way - this includes top of the range Sony wide-screen crt models, one of which I still use in another room.

The first thing that strikes you on initial set up, is how unbelievably good the freeview pq is - it totally trounces my now departed Sony lcd and is as virtually noise free as my Sony 32" crt despite having almost two and a half times the screen area!.

Good quality dvds are replayed with an almost hd clarity - the processing is that good and hd material ....wow.

I've not been troubled by IR but I keep the orbiter on for all sources including connection to my pc - set at 1920 x 1080 res.- which I'm using now to send this comment. It has a screen washer which runs for an hour then sends the tv into standby, but I haven't needed it yet.

So mattyg, my advice is if you've got the dosh, go for the Pioneer - you won't be disappointed.

Cheers Mike.

Hi mattyg,

I replaced my sony 40w2000 lcd for a Pioneer 5090 3 weeks ago and I have to say it is the best tv I've owned by a long way - this includes top of the range Sony wide-screen crt models, one of which I still use in another room.

The first thing that strikes you on initial set up, is how unbelievably good the freeview pq is - it totally trounces my now departed Sony lcd and is as virtually noise free as my Sony 32" crt despite having almost two and a half times the screen area!.

Good quality dvds are replayed with an almost hd clarity - the processing is that good and hd material ....wow.

I've not been troubled by IR but I keep the orbiter on for all sources including connection to my pc - set at 1920 x 1080 res.- which I'm using now to send this comment. It has a screen washer which runs for an hour then sends the tv into standby, but I haven't needed it yet.

So mattyg, my advice is if you've got the dosh, go for the Pioneer - you won't be disappointed.

Cheers Mike.

i cannot agree more. Best flat panels ever built! :thumbsup:

You have to grab the last pieces of 42" pioneer plasma that pioneer ever built. Pioneer stopped manufacturing 42" plasma panels. Instead they have started with LCDs instead.

If there is one thing I don't like about my PX80, its the phosphor lag (green trails) which I find to be very noticeable when gaming.

********. He's spouting the usual crap about plasmas that has long since been solved. The only time I have seen burn-in on a screen was with a LCD. Seriously.

I also don't see anyone talking about dead pixels on a LCD screen that I see regularly either, or the poor response time you get on larger LCD screens that makes gaming a bit more...............surreal.

The only time I have seen burn-in on a screen was with a LCD. Seriously.

I trust you. Did you have an LG. Check the thread found on my signature, LG LCD did indeed have a screen burn-in :D

If there is one thing I don't like about my PX80, its the phosphor lag (green trails) which I find to be very noticeable when gaming.

I'm too old to be playing games (and don't have the time), so I don't have that problem.

The only downside on my Panasonic PX8 is that it does get some image retention, but the beauty is that you don't notice it, only when getting very close to the tv and the background is black... When viewing dark movies on 8/9 feet distance you don't even notice it :). I've heard that LG's and Samsung Plasma's get image retention too, but you see them on a bright backrground...

Phosphor trails, never seem them on mine actually... Didn't even know what it meant until I read it somewhere here on avforums.

The argument of: they don't have a swivel stand, well it can be annoying sometimes, but I guess the massive stand of the Panasonic tv looks pretty good. Besides, it has nothing to do with picture quality, as far as I have noticed ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom