1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Plasmas & HDMI?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Rasczak, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Does anyone know if Panasonic plans to add a HDMI module for any of their plasma range in the next 12 months or so? Having seen the Panasonic range in action this has come to the forefront on my shopping list but the lack of HDMI is a bit of a show-stopper. Anyone got any info?

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Hi,

Do you particularly need HDMI due to cable length, or would the standard DVI-HDCP card suffice?

Steve

3. whuuf

whuuf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    would the panny accept a signal from a hdmi dvd player via the dvi input. if it did i presume it would be video only?

4. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    yes thats right video only.
    also bear in mind the pw6 will down scale a dvd pic above 480p
    and that there are still problems with the dvi hdcp card from panasonic. youll need the hi def phd6 to realy benefit here or better still the 50ins model.
    but there is definately problems with the sd display.

in the states panasonic have models now with hdmi but only on there hi def panels of 1024x768 and not on the sd panels 852x458(whats the point if it down scales right)

so yes i think we will see the next lot of panys pw "7" will feature a hdmi input but i reckon it will only be on hi def models.

5. joys_R_us

joys_R_us

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    gandley,

the point with HDMI is that it can save you a analog-digital conversion no matter what the screen resolution is. That Panasonic doesn't offer (?) HDMI on SD models is probably due to the bean-counters. But otherwise it makes sense and it will be the standard connection in future.

That's the way Pana thinks and works :mad: . And thats one of the reasons why I ordered a Pio 434 !

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    The reason I want a HDMI socket is for 'future proofing' more than anything - obviously a plasma that costs so much needs to last for 3 or 4 years and in that time I will certainly be upgrading my DVD player (probably to one with HDMI).

As I understand it DVI carries the video signal only (no great problem) but, that apart, are there any other significant differences? I saw from a different post that Panasonic sell a HDMI-DVI cable so does this effectively give the same result as HDMI-HDMI only with no audio?

When are we likely to see the 7 series? How long have the 6 series been out?

7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    For simplicity's sake you can think of HDMI as DVI plus iLink - it's DVI format video that can easily be transferred pin-to-pin to a HDCP DVI socket.

(of course this is all in theory only until I can get actually get the player, and then the cable, to test!)

8. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Rasczak,

The reason I asked about cable length is that HDMI transmitters/receivers allow a much longer cable than the recommended DVI maximum of 7.5m. I'm guessing an HDMI-DVI cable would also be limited to 7.5m due to the DVI receiver limitations.

Liam,

I thought HDMI carried only stereo audio at the moment (although it should allow up to 8 channels in future), but doesn't allow multi-channel protected audio like iLink.

Steve

9. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Steve,

yes currently only 2 channel audio, but I think the main idea is to get it to carry multichannel audio at high sampling rates as and when. (It's never gonna replace the scart lead otherwise!!!)

Interestingly iLink can be used for high bandwidth audio (6 channels of 24bit @ 192Khz), or, Dolby Digital plus MPEG2 video!

10. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    yes i fully understand the digital connection thanks, but a analogue 720p signal will probably be better than a 480 hdmi one

Someone on avs forum has had a chance to compare so ill try and find the thread.
    so whats the point of a nice signal only to have it scaled down?

11. joys_R_us

joys_R_us

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The resolution is not everything. The bandwidth makes the picture look good and also the quality of the signals which suffers with every conversion. We have to get away of this pixel count thinking.

Re. comparison DVI vs. HDMI: one thing to be aware of is that DVI has compatibility issues whereas (hopefully) the HDMI is better in this respect. HDMI equipment has to finish compatibility tests to get the HDMI logo which makes sure that different pieces work together without tweaking . I understand that lots of people are experiencing problems with DVI for the a.m. reason.

12. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Does this apply to DVI-HDCP as well?

13. joys_R_us

joys_R_us

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: