1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Plasma

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Tim Ashdown, Sep 27, 2001.

1. Tim Ashdown

Tim Ashdown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    The new Panasonic 42pw4 is being advertised at <a href="http://www.qed-uk.com" target="_blank">www.qed-uk.com</a> for £4657 including VAT. £5043 with the tuner. This seems an absolute bargain considering the high street price I believe is £7999. It reminds me of when qed first did the Tosh 36" at £1367. I was well impressed with the pw3 but has anybody yet had any experience with this one (Gordon, are you out there), surely it can only get better! I've almost got enough put away for this one and I'm really tempted. I know its new but if anyone can help, it would be much appreciated. Do you reckon John Lewis would price match this one. Thanks in advance.

2. MattB

MattB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Wow - I'm surprised to see the PW4 on sale over here so soon and at such an attractive price. As recently as 10 days ago Panasonic were still denying it would be avaiilable in the UK. Have you enquired to see if they have any stock?

Recent posts on AVS forum say that the first batch in the US were a bit of a disaster with many having to be replaced due to buzzing noises.

The PW4 is an evolution of the PW3 and probably uses the same glass. Main differences are extra zoom modes on the RGB (PC) input, 576p support and an upgrade slot for DVI.

Now I have some serious thinking to do - buy the PW4 which I'm sure will be excellent or wait until spring to see what the new Pioneer wide XGA resolution 43" display is like...

Cheers,

3. Tim Ashdown

Tim Ashdown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Cheers for the reply Matt. DVI upgrade sounds interesting. I'm glad to see that I wasn't the only one that thought this price was a bit out of the ordinary. I don't know if it is in stock, probably not, but from the hundreds of previous posts of people that bought the Tosh 36" from Qed, it seems that if you pre-order then even if the price goes up when its available, they still honour the original price. I would first try a high street retailer such as John Lewis, as I've heard they match the net prices and give a 5yr guarantee. Pioneer 43", whats so good about it. When you think you've made up your mind, out comes something else. I know there are hundreds of plasma owners now, but I'm not a millionaire, its a lot of money for me and I think plasma is still in its infancy. I'm sure the Panasonic will be great but I want to get the right one.

4. sirjohnofbalham

sirjohnofbalham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Re John Lewis price matching - they have stated that this will shortly apply only to high street prices and that internet price matching will soon cease. I saw this in the latest JL trading statement.