Panasonic plasma vs Sony wireless headphones - help!

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by Roosterbooster, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Roosterbooster

Roosterbooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have been happily using a set of Sony DP-IF5100 cordless headphones with my rear-projection tv for about three years. They are great and give DTS and 5.1 rated sound. However that has now changed. I made the jump to HD tv - got a 50" Panasonic TH-50PZ80B plasma screen. Beautiful picture, unfortunately it inteferes with the cordless headphones with static interference every time the screen goes light, dark is fine but as the picture lightens the interference rises and if it suddenly jumps to white then the headphones give a deafening screech. The soundtrack is still there under the noise but basically the cans are unusable now.

It seems obvious that the new TV is giving off electromagnetic radiation that the old rear-projection one didn't. Any ideas how to combat it? I am toying with the idea of placing a sheet of tin-foil over the headphones base unit to shield it from the TV. Or will I just have to get new headphones?

2. Timmie

Timmie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42

I'll start by saying I'm no expert on this... But I would guess your going to need to do some experimentation and the first thing I'd try is to get the base unit as far as possible from the TV and see if that helps. If it does then you may need to get a long cable to hook up your audio into the base unit. If the base unit is near the TV then I can understand why it would interfere. Good luck!

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Are the headphones using IR comms? V popular at sony unfortunately plasma and LCD screens produce IR interferance try moving the base/receiver

4. Roosterbooster

Roosterbooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The base unit is sitting under the tv in cabinet with a couple of layers of MDF or whatever between them. It's connected to the blu-ray player (a PS3) by a short digital optical cable and can't stretch any further, if I get a longer cable there's not really anywhere else for the base unit to go unless it sits in the middle of the floor. Oh well, since I only use it for watching discs it can always go back in the cabinet when I'm finished. Do all wireless headphones have this problem now?