1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic plasma - visible area using YUV

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by TorAtle, Dec 9, 2002.

1. TorAtle

TorAtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just tried my new cheapo component cable for PS2, and wow :D What a big difference it makes compared to composite.

However the visible area is a lot smaller than the one from my Denon DVD-player. I've pretty much decided to go for the Audio Authority 1154 switchbox, but is this going to be an issue every time I go from one source to another?

Centering the picture and setting the correct width and height is a time consuming operation...and as we all know, time is money :p

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    OK,

Does your Denon DVD have progressive output? If so the issue you have is that the plasma is overscanning on the interlaced memory bank. It is possible in the service menu to adjust many paramters. One of which is positional and geometric sizing. This is doen for every input signal type. This would mean that your positional controls would stay at mid positions and you'd have it fixed in service menu. A calibration professional can do this for you or you can have a go yourself. MAKE SURE YOU DON'T TOUCH ANY OTHER SETTINGS if you decide to do it yourself.

Someone has already posted how to enter service menu on this forum. Panasonic, understandably, don;t want folk playing inside here so if you are going to tell this chap how to do it please email him or P.M him as the last time it got out Panasonic changed the method on the next release of the product....doh!

Gordon

3. TorAtle

TorAtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Gordon,

sorry should have said but I didn't know it was important. I'm pretty sure it isn't a progressive output. While I'm not proud of it, I bought the Denon combo (AVR,PWR,DVD-F100) mainly because of its small physical size. Since the screen is so thin it seemed like a dumb idea to have a lot of components sticking halv a metre out from the wall. In fact I didn't even know there were component outputs at the back at the time I bought it. Just plain luck. Sad but true.

So there's another reason for this phenomena then?

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    Yes, one of them may be "pixel cropping" meaning it is not showing you the entire active picture content area. Nothing you can do about that. Weird that it is so bad that you can see the difference so clearly. Ideally I'd like to see this to understand what's happening.

Gordon

5. TorAtle

TorAtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand there's some really cheap flights from Glasgow to Oslo these days :)

Would a couple of pictures help?