Panasonic Plasma TV Line-Up for 2012

Discussion in 'CES Consumer Electronics Show 2013' started by hodg100, Jan 10, 2012.

1. hodg100

hodg100
    Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,453
    To put it politely, Panasonic didn't make much of the actual products they'll have on sale in 2012 but at least the North American press release has been made available. Remember these details are for the US market so there will be differences, particularly with screen sizes, to the EU/UK TVs but at least it will give you some idea of what to expect. Phil and Steve will be catching up with Panasonic UK later on so we'll be able to provide more details then.

The advent of Smart VIERA HDTV centers on five main points: Networking, Easy Operation, Picture Quality, Eco and Design elements. With 17 new models, ranging in screen sizes from 42-inches to 65 inches, Panasonic expanded its 3D line-up for 2012.

Also new for 2012 is a cloud-based architecture to increase the VIERA Connect IPTV platform to an unlimited number of apps. New to select VIERA TVs is the inclusion of a browser as well as the addition of “3D Real Sound” with 8-Train Speakers. In addition, Panasonic continues its commitment to the environment by improving the panel luminance efficiency, as well as producing mercury and lead free panels. To further improve the in-home 3D viewing experience, Panasonic introduced its latest generation of lightweight 3D glasses. Weighing only 27grams, the latest generation 3D glasses utilize Bluetooth technology and feature a rechargeable battery.

Panasonic is dedicated to bringing new picture improving technologies to HDTVs and the 2012 line-up builds upon that philosophy. The 2012 VIERA HDTVs produce black levels that have consistently been recognized as among the best in the industry and super fast response time.

The new design maximizes the natural qualities of glass and metal to 'visually express the superb performance of the display and billions of colors'. The 2012 models employ NeoPlasma Black 2500 to provide a crisp image even when the content shows very fast motion. The 2012 panel further reduces reflections and creates sharper pictures with higher contrast in brighter environments. In addition, a new panel structure and pre-discharge control technology contribute to an increased native contrast level. Additionally, all the 3D models include DLNA connections for easy link-up to other DLNA equipped products.

Panasonic’s company wide commitment to sustainability and producing products that are ecologically sound is evidenced in the 100,000 hour life span of the Plasma Display panel and the lack of lead or mercury in the panels. Improved power efficiency has been addressed with, among other technology advances, new and improved phosphor mixtures and more efficient electronics.

“Panasonic is proud to be recognized by numerous critics for its superior picture quality and for its continuing commitment to the highest technology standards possible. Never ones to stand on our laurels, the 2012 series of VIERA Plasma HDTVs fine tunes the 3D picture quality to one that rivals what is seen in the theater. Furthermore, we have expanded and enhanced the VIERA connect internet functionality by employing cloud technology, enabling users to access an infinite number of apps,” said Henry Hauser, Vice President, Panasonic Marketing, the Merchandising Group “Panasonic is continually striving to surpass the previous year’s commercial and critical success, as well as listening to what consumers are saying. That is precisely why Panasonic’s 2012 Plasma models will once again prove to be the industry leader. Panasonic is also very proud to have been named one of the top ten global green brands of 2011.”

The six VIERA Plasma series, VT50, GT50, ST50, UT50, XT50, U50, feature self illuminating panels with ultimate black levels, NeoPlasma technologies(VT/GT/ST) providing a black filter with a higher efficiency panel that generates the best balance of black and white under brighter environments. The new Louver filter and new high performance panel result in improved external light shading, improved clarity and improved light transmittance. The 2012 models employ the NeoPlasma Black 2500 (VT/GT/ST/UT), a 6,220,800 pixel cells FULL local dimming, 24,576 steps of gradation technology (VT/GT) (previously only available in professional monitors), a new custom driver LSI and a fast switching phosphor panel on all of Panasonic’s 1080p 3D models.

Panasonic also continues its relationship with THX with six Full HD 3D Plasma HDTVs, certified in both 2D and 3D

VT50 Series

[​IMG]

The VT50 series is the FULL HD 3D Plasma flagship series and is available in two screen sizes- the TC-P65VT50, 65-inch class (64.7 inches measured diagonally) and the TC-P55VT50, 55-inch class (55.1 inches measured diagonally). These two top of the line TVs offers a revolutionary level of picture quality. FULL HD 3D; 1080p FULL HD resolution; Infinite Black Ultra Panel, Deep Black hues are achieved thanks to new and advanced pre-discharge technology; VIERA Connect with Web browser, and built-in Wi-Fi; 2500 FFD (Focused Field Drive); Fast Switching Phosphors; 2D → 3D conversion; 24,576 steps of gradation technology ;THX in both 2D and 3D modes; ISFccc Calibration Mode with Advanced Calibration. Calibrators adjust the detailed picture setting with the calibration software(CALMAN™ )provided by SpectraCal Inc.

Social Networking TV function to allow users to access social network sites while simultaneously watching TV; Multitasking feature to switch between apps ; 3D Real Sound with 8-Train Speakers; a new Louver Filter; a VIERA Touch Pad Controller; Bluetooth; DLNA; VIERA Link, a technology that utilizes HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) and allows a consumer to operate all VIERA Link compatible A/V components using only the TV’s remote control; Media Player, allows one to view digital photos and HD video recorded on a SD Memory Card and USB Memory Stick; four HDMI connections and three USB ports. The VT50 series continues the design evolution as seen in last year’s VT30 series with a stunning one sheet of glass design. The Flat and lustrous, this single pane of glass is totally obstruction-free. It expresses a minimalist sense of beauty by stripping away all unnecessary elements with a newly designed gradation metal pedestal.

GT50 Series

[​IMG]

The GT50 series includes four screen sizes – the TC-P50GT50, 50-inch class (49.9 inches measured diagonally); TC-P55GT50, 55-inch class (55.1 inches measured diagonally); TC-P60GT50, 60-inch class (60.1 inches measured diagonally); TC-P65GT50, 65-inch class (64.7 inches measured diagonally). The series features FULL HD 3D; Infinite Black Pro Panel; VIERA Connect with Web browser and built-in Wi-Fi; 1080p FULL HD resolution; 2500 FFD (Focused Field Drive); Fast Switching Phosphors; 2D → 3D conversion; THX in both the 2D and 3D modes; 24,576 steps of gradation technology; Social Networking TV function; Multitasking; 3D Real Sound with 8 train speakers; Media Player; Bluetooth; DLNA; VIERA Link; four HDMI connections and three USB ports. Additionally the GT50 models incorporate the glass & metal design – Stylish Metal Frame with a gradation metal pedestal.

ST50 Series

The TC-P50ST50, 50-inch class (49.9 inches measured diagonally); the TC-P55ST50, 55-inch class (55.1 inches measured diagonally); the TC-P60ST30, 60-inch class (60.1 inches measured diagonally) and the TC-P65ST50, 65 inch class (64.7 inches measured diagonally) comprise the ST 50 series of FULL HD 3D VIERA HDTVs. The ST30 models include Infinite Black Pro Panel; VIERA Connect with Web browser and built-in Wi-Fi; 1080p FULL HD resolution; 2500 FFD (Focused Field Drive); Fast Switching Phosphors; 2D → 3D conversion; Social Networking TV function; 3D Real Sound with 8-Train Speakers; Media Player; Bluetooth; DLNA; VIERA Link, three HDMI connections and two USB ports.

UT50 Series

There are four screen sizes in the UT50 series – the TC-P42UT50, 42 inch class (41.6 inches measured diagonally); TC-P50UT50, 50 inch class (49.9 inches measured diagonally); TC-P55UT50, 55 inch class (55.1 inches measured diagonally); TC-P60UT50, 60 inch class (60.1 inches measured diagonally). All offer FULL HD 3D; 1080p FULL HD resolution; VIERA Connect (Wi-Fi ready); 2500 FFD (Focused Field Drive); Fast Switching Phosphors; 2D → 3D conversion; Social Networking TV function; Media Player; Bluetooth; DLNA; VIERA Link; two HDMI connections and two USB ports.

XT50 Series

The XT50 series provides the consumer with an affordable 3D solution with Online Movies feature, a service that provides select Panasonic's IPTV functionality by adding five of the most popular movies to the TV's internet functionality. The TC-P42XT50, 42 inch class (41.6 inches measured diagonally) and the TC-P50XT50, 50 inch class (49.9 inches measured diagonally) produce 720p resolution and features Online Movies, a service that provides select Panasonic's IPTV functionality by adding five of the most popular movies to the TV's internet functionality; 2D → 3D conversion; 600Hz Sub-field Drive; Bluetooth; Media Player; DLNA; VIERA Link; two HDMI and two USB connections.

U50 Series

The TC-P50U50, 50 inch class (49.9 inches measured diagonally) is the lone non-3D in this year’s HDTV Plasma model line-up. The model features 1080p FULL HD resolution; Fast Switching Phosphors, Media Player; 600Hz Sub-Field Drive ;Game Mode ;two HDMI connections and one USB port.

Attached Files:

2. den

den

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Have to say they do look and sound pretty impressive

3. Butters

Butters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Bet they come with a best ever price too........

4. Hades

Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,184
    I just wish the UK would get 60" like the USA do, 55 is too small and 65 too big.

5. airmyx

airmyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Anyone want to take an early guess at what the inevitable, deal-breaking quirk will be with them this year?

6. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    I'd like to see bigger screen sizes on the lower ranges in Europe, too. I'd like a 60" PDP but don't necessarily want to spend VT-series amounts of money on one.

7. panman40

panman40
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,244
    Agreed

8. bighfishing

bighfishing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    will this years models have cooling fans?

9. vism

vism

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,188
    Feeling soooo optimistic at the moment but I wonder how long it'll be before it turns to disappointment.

What will be this years bugs and will Panasonic Europe go with their usual screw the Europeans, subsidise the yanks pricing policy.

Then again, based on how good the Sammos look (lets hope they perform), Panny are gonna get creamed if they don't price the big screens properly this year.

10. vism

vism

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,188
    Good point, forgot to ask that.

Please, no fans Panny.......pleeeez

11. vism

vism

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,188
    Been looking around shopping sites in the US, the 65 Inch VT30 is going for £1580 right now.
    Even when you add a theoretical 20% VAT, it's still only £1900 and they also get the GT and ST in 65 too (even cheaper).

STOP RIPPING US OFF!

12. tele1962

tele1962
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,867
    Mark, Phil or Steve will you be interviewing anyone from Panasonic this year?

13. leedebs

leedebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    +1 if both Samsung & LG can produce pdp without fans why can't Panasonic?
    Oh wait a minute they can..........but only in their lower range models:(

14. hodg100

hodg100
    Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,453
    Yes Barry, should be a video interview up soon(ish):)

15. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +870
    Make sure you ask them about power consumption, and I don't want them to get all excited that they are nice and green, I would prefer a decent picture!!

My VT30 is dull as ditchwater, so will be swapping at the first opportunity.

Mind you that 55" Samsung OLED looks quite exciting, but at what price??

16. golden phoenix

golden phoenix
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,668
    i hope the avforums team ask the pertinent questions relating to the issues british consumers had with the VT30 which is well documented on this forums. and have they been resolved in the 2012 models please!!!!

17. Raitzi

Raitzi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Hopefully the "50Hz bug" is gone forever.

18. glen8

glen8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Rising Blacks, Green Patches, 50hz issue, Image Retention?

Just like CES 2011, they look awesome but were a let down. Think the best plasma they made was still the PZ70

19. TONYELISE

TONYELISE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +760
    I thought panasonic were ditching the neo pdp design this year?

20. Tartan Man

Tartan Man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well said. The problems on last years Pannys i.e. green blob,etc and more to the point, Panasonic in complete denial and giving good customers the silent treatment is making me shy away from buying one of their range this year. I'm starting to look at Samsung,LG,etc.
    I know you'll never get the perfect tv or indeed perfect customer service but I think the way Panasonic as a company has treated some of it's customers who have experienced genuine faults is poor to say the least. Feeble excuses and burying their head in the sand deters potential buyers like myself.

21. golden phoenix

golden phoenix
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,668
    i really love the bezeless look of the VT50 its a design i was hoping panasonic were going to go for this year!

so lets stay optimistic...i hope they havent concentrated on applications and forgot about picture quality..

fingers crossed! im in sensory overload at the mo trying to read loads of articles at once!!!!:clap::clap::clap:

Mark i'll send the caffeine and red bull over...keep up the good work!!!!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  22. NW3

NW3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'd be surprised...the UK retailers are having a shocking time with "TV's" at the moment and there's nothing I have seen so far to make me think your average punter will be rushing out to buy them.

Sales boomed in 2010 with the combination of Full HD sets becoming relatively affordable and the World Cup. Joe Average doesn't replace his TV every two years unless it's a must have purchase....and there's nothing must have TV's about the current sets compared to those on the market two years ago.

At least that's what a very good friend of mine who is quite senior at a major UK retailer told me..........

23. netvlada

netvlada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    If this year i heard a smallest complain or problem on pana i will go to first shop to buy samsung tv.

24. NW3

NW3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Just go and buy a Samsung now then as there will always be complaints....

25. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,538
    Such a shame

26. hodg100

hodg100
    Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,453
    Don't be surprised to see no non-3D's next time Steven.

27. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    And then complain about the Samsung faults.

There is no fault free TV I'm afraid. Hasn't been many in the last 10 years I have been upgrading

28. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469

Agree, there will always be faults now with expectations above the costs of the sets. There are some faults though that shouldnt be there IMO. The green splodge issue has ruined my GT30, I never really see the 50hz bug, been very happy up til now.

29. davidcrofter

davidcrofter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +960
    Remember the Olympics this year and the BBC could be pushing it's 3D Coverage of that as well as Euro 2012 fever this year for some ... so I don't think the retailers will struggle this year.

30. Suave

Suave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +790
    Hi,

It's not really a bezeless design really unlike the LG & Samsung models - it just appears that way when the TV is switched off due to the one sheet of glass design - when it is on, one will see a 1.3" thick (I think!) black border around the viewing area which is real shame.

Suave!