1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Plasma Tuner

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by gach, Aug 27, 2003.

1. gach

gach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm thinking about buying the new Panasonic PW6. So I went to a friend who had the PW5 and the PT600 tuner. I never liked the tuner since it would switch off all he other connections while connected to the plasma. And yanking the cable off didn't ssem like a very comfortable way of releasing the lock.

To my pleasant surpise, there is another very handy way of doing this: go to a official Panasonic service center, there you can get your PT600 modified, so that when you switch the tuner off (you have to do it on the tuner itself) it releases all the other connections. So no more fiddling around with the cables. The only restriction is that you can't use the other inputs while the tuner is running, but this is acceptable to me.

And suddenly the tuner looks a lot more appealing ;-)

greets
    \gach

2. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    So whilst you switch the tuner off you can access the VGA port?

This would be very useful I agree.

Do you have a contact at a Panasonic Service Centre that
    can do this, as I suspect I'll get a "are you from Mars" type look if I ask them about it.

Neil.

3. gach

gach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yep,

that's what I saw.

but since I live in Switzerland, I don't really know how it's handled in UK. However, I wanted to verify this with an official service center here in switzerland and I got the same response: there is an official modification - if you modify it through a pana service center you don't lose your warranty (if that's still a point) - AND all the newly delivered tuner are already modified (at least here in Switzerland). The service rep didn't sound surpised, so I'd suggest asking a service agent in the UK.

For the PW6 all you need is the tuner board (the PW5 board doesn't work) and the modified tuner, and you can still use all your other inputs.

4. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Can any of the panny dealers confirm this with their contacts?

Neil.