1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Plasma TH-50PHW5BX best connection?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by esta56, Sep 15, 2003.

1. esta56

esta56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Having recently purchased this Plasma (which I find stunning) and connected my DVD using component but via my Pioneer amp, I would now like to connect my Telewest Digital box (Pace D-i2000T) as well.

The Telewest has SCART out (I assume RGB) and so I would like to try and find out the best way to connect to Plasma without spending as much as an iScan Ultra (I eventually want to connect the Plasma and PJ via a good scaler be it dedicated one or HTPC). The options I believe I have are:

1) Get a SCART to S-Video lead and connect to the Pioneer and then output component from the amp (which I am already doing with the DVD so I would just switch between the two video inputs on the amp).

2) Get a JS Tecnology SCART to VGA converter and connect to the Pasma PC Input (running the Telewest Audio out to the amp).

So which of the above is the best answer (assuming either will work) and are there any other recommendations on how to connect?

2. Geeseman

Geeseman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From what I know the unit accepts RGB at 15khz (video) so all you need is a RGB to RCA connector so you can use the input on the plasma. There should be no need to convert to S-video

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    Esta56

Use a JS Technology RGB2YUV converter and pass the YUV via your AV Amp - makes for a simpler life if you can switch everything with one handset.

The JS Technology RGB2VGA converter is slightly sharper (though were talking very small differences here) but keep in mind pretty much every scaler/processor on the market wants YUV, S-Video or Composite on its input side not RGB so the RGB2YUV is the better long term plan.

Best regards

Joe

PS And decent video cables are a must have!

4. esta56

esta56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks guys for your advice. I think the one cable into the back of the Panasonic is the most attractive.

Joe I'll be E-Mailing you shortly.

Richard