Panasonic Plasma Th-42pwd4

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by toonarmy, Aug 3, 2002.

1. toonarmy

toonarmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I was reading the operating instructions of my new Plasma when I noticed a section about a 3D Y/C Filter for NTSC input signals.
    Could anybody tell me what this does and is it best to set it to on or off as the manual doesn't explain anything about it.
    Cheers

2. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    From Panasonic Web site:

3D-Y/C Digital Comb Filter
    Displays bright colors and action scenes with incredible clarity by minimizing the "color rainbow effect" in closely spaced patterns, compensating for the motion that occurs between fields.

From somewhere else:

Motion-Adaptive 3D Y/C Comb Filter - Comb filters separate the luminance (black and white picture information) from the chroma (color picture information), a necessary stage in the video signal processing of any color TV. In order to provide more precise separations, 3D-Y/C comb filters store both fields of a complete video frame before they begin their processing. Until now, even the best comb filters did not provide full 3D-Y/C performance when the TV picture had fast motion because of the 1/60 of a second time difference between the two picture fields. The result was 2D-Y/C-grade performance whenever there was significant motion. Even programming with bright colors and fast action is displayed with a new level of clarity.

3. toonarmy

toonarmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I think that means I should keep it switched on????

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,042
    Comb filter is used to seperate colour and black and white information in a composite video signal. It has no effect on s-video, component. So, if you use the composite video input then keep it on. If not it doesn't matter.

Gordon

5. toonarmy

toonarmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the info Gordon at the moment I'm using s-video for my DVD until my component cables arrive from Postman Pat.

Toonarmy