Panasonic plasma suddenly running hotter

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by Ontarier, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Ontarier

Ontarier
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic plasma suddenly running hotter

My 2011 TC-P65VT30 has been running noticeably hotter over the past month or so. Last night the circuit breaker tripped. Panasonic support referred me to a dealer who suggested cleaning the fans. Taking the back off was quite the adventure but the fans had just a little dust on them. I cleaned them and since then the TV has been sitting on the stand rather than wall-mounted. It seems to be running not as hot. Last night it was hot all along the top while now it's just at the top centre. The fans are located at either end of the TV but the most heat is felt in the middle. (The radiant heat is felt all over the screen from 6 inches away.) There are spots for two additional fans on either side of centre. Is it possible they left out two fans? Would it make sense to move the fans on the side to the available spots in the middle? Add two more fans? Any thoughts on why it would suddenly have gotten noticeably hotter and then pop a breaker?

The TV is plugged into a Power Bridge and connected to an AVR. The AVR is connected to a power amp. Last night all were on and active and the signal was being streamed from a PC. Everything was on the same circuit and it's been working like that for years.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,620
    You probably don't want to hear this but my gut feeling is if there is a normal picture and sound and no obvious fault symptoms of any kind your Tv is okay and something else caused your circuit breaker to trip...Plasma TVs do run hot, you've stated now that it's on the stand it's not as hot as before...that's probably due to the fact it's getting a better air circulation compared to being mounted on the wall.

3. Ontarier

Ontarier
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, JayCee. Happy to hear that my TV probably isn't broken. I would like to get it back on the wall, though. The Panny vids I've seen on YouTube all had 4 fans rather than 2 and I'm going to write to Panasonic and see if there is a possibility of adding two more. If I may ask you another question...what would you think of moving the fans to the middle of the TV? Last night I noticed the top of the TV was cool at either end but still quite warm in the middle. There are two "rough-ins" for fans in the center already. Not sure if the wires would stretch as far as the center but if you don't think it would likely cause problems I'll take the back off again and check the lengths of the wires. I read where one guy had cut the power to the fans due to fan noise and had no issue with overheating. So maybe moving them to the hot are would help in my case. Thanks again for having taken the time to answer.

4. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,620
    If the manufacturer thought that model required 4 fans they would have fitted them.

5. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,915
    They fit enough, rarely any more than that.

6. Curly99

Curly99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    @Ontarier

Thread has been moved to the Plasma TVs forum

Curly

7. Ontarier

Ontarier
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I think they'd fit as few as they thought they could get away with. I moved the two fans to the middle and wouldn't you know it; the middle was cool and the ends ran hot. Spoke to Panasonic's service people who said they were surprised there were only two fans, but I mentioned reading that the newer plasmas ran cooler so the company likely thought two fans were sufficient, not to mention more profitable. Waiting to hear from Panasonic about the advisability of adding the extra fans. I ordered a couple that I'll install unless they say the TV can't run four.

8. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,915
    I put extra fans on the back of my plasma at the beginning, 12V low noise fans run at 5V and you can't hear them.
    They help warm air come out the top vent holes.

9. Ontarier

Ontarier
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you so much. I feel better knowing it's been done. The holes are already there so I ordered 2 of the original fans. Did you just splice the new fan wires into the existing wiring or did you use connectors?

10. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,915
    Mine were external as there weren't any on originally - sticky fixers have lasted for over five years so far!

11. Inferno

Inferno
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,109
    Not being funny or anything but have you only just noticed or noticed a month ago and are just panicking?

My TV gets stupidly warm about 60+c and the fans have never kicked in yet, mine is wall mounted and I have never had to vacuume it out for dust.

I feel the heat if I walk past it from about 8 inches.

As Jaycee says it was probably something else that tripped your box especially if the picture is just normal.

12. V F

V F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    You have the advantage though, Inferno. Kuro's are designed to only run the fans at 75 - 80c plus? and the fact they weren't plagued by obsessive people wanted thinner and thinner bezels.

Since Panasonic's fans run all the time the TV is on.