1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Plasma Screen Brightness

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by oymd, Oct 13, 2005.

1. oymd

oymd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Aloha to all....

I need some urgent info....

My father in law bought a TH-50PHW6 a few weeks ago...and its gorgeus. My only gripe with it is when viewing standard TV broadcast, especially when not so great quality...the picture suffers....

The other thing I dont like is the BRIGHTNESS...I intend to follow suit and get me a panny also...but my budget can only allow me a 42", and since HD is ages away where I live...I guess I should be okay with a EDTV for now...so I have a few questions:

1- What's the brightness on the panny screens...its not listed anywhere?? what's the brightness on the TH-50PHW6 & TH-42PWD7 specifically?

2- Reason for question 1: My mind is set on a TH-42PWD7, and I want to know if it will be BRIGHTER than the TH-50PHW6, especially that its smaller?

3- I mainly watch DVDs and regular satellite broadcasting, NO HDTV is available where i live...SO....WILL i NOTICE ANY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE 42PWD7 MODEL AND THE 42PHW7 IN PICTURE QUALITY. WILL THERE BE ANY DIFFERENCE WITH THESE 2 SOURCES between 853 x 480 & 1024 x 768 while watching DVDs or Satellite TV??

Thanks guys....GREAT GREAT forum by the way!!

2. oymd

oymd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    And what's with these specs from Samsung and LG:

Contrast of 10000:1 and brightness of 1000 cd/m2!!!

Are these specs realistic or just bull??

3. dickst3

dickst3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    What, its too bright? :eek: They're adjustable.

I have the PWD7 and the PQ is great on Sky and DVD. There is alot of variation between Sky channels and different broadcasts but still great. I watched England on BBC (via Sky) last night and the PQ was great :thumbsup:

4. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think Panasonic claimed 750cd/m2 for the 42PWD7 and 550cd/m2 for the 50PHD6 - I'm not certain though, the important thing is the 42PWD is actually noticably brighter than the 50.

Whether it's bright enough for you, I don't know. Panasonic plasmas just aren't very bright, especially if you don't drive them at max (necessary to prevent crushing detail and burn in).

The new LG 42" SD plasma (42PX4D) is easily the brightest :cool: plasma I've seen, by the way - if you've got a lot of light to contend with, it would be a great alternative.

5. oymd

oymd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    wow...that's a 200cd/m2 difference...are u sure..that sure is a big difference. As for the LG u suggest (42PX4D), is it a good panel...as in colors contrast, design, noise etc...I was under the impression that the Korean Manuf are way way behind Panasonic in Plasma screens??

6. oymd

oymd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    No No..lol......I meant that I was not happy with the 50" BRIGHTNESS level...I felt it is NOT BRIGHT ENOUGH even at level 30.

At what distance are u sitting from your screen....in meters please....and r u comfortable with it...or u wish u got a 50 instead??

7. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    I have a phd8 and pw7 and find with both that brightness needs to be no more than +2 ans contrast around -3 or -4....that is about pefect to my eyes. We sit between 9' and 14' away and don't feel 42" is too small.......but I suspect a 50" would be fine too......Mrs Mep however has a differing opinion of this :)

8. dickst3

dickst3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    4 meters and the 42" is perfect :smashin:

9. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: