1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Plasma Question

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by bhemmings, Jan 19, 2003.

1. bhemmings

bhemmings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, another newbie I'm afraid:blush:

I've just come back from a dealer who gave me some information regarding the range of Panny plasma's (the brand I'm thinking of purchasing).

I was told the following and I was just looking for clarification of what I was told....

Basically, Mr Salesman told me that the TH37PWD4 gave a better picture quality than the replacement version due out next month (TH37PWD5???). Can anybody confirm whether this is true or not (Joe??).

I was told that the manufacturing has been tweaked to keep costs down... Can't see a manufacturer bringing out a supposed 'new' model with a poorer picture - but that's what I was told.

Any further information on clarifying this would be great.

I am looking for an approximate screen size of 36/37" - not 42".
    I will be using Sky+ and a DVD source so I do not need a tuner.

Any other recommendations or clarifications on models to road test would also be appreciated.

I have done a search but couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance.

Bill:confused:

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think the 5 model is already out maybe its just the 42 and 50inch out already. there are a few threads on adressing the new v old model. some people say the new one flickers abit more
    maybe you could demo both to decide, as for the tuner box dont bother sky use a rgb to s-vvideo or vga or component and dvd s-video or component,
    i have the toshiba whick is a clone of the panny 4 model and very happy with it
    hope this helps

3. Harryson

Harryson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bill,
    The '4' series has already been replace by the '5' series, so you are being offered something out of someones stock room. In which case I would want a serious discount.
    There are technical differences between them, some better, some not - but I couldn't see them!!
    In terms of the 37'', you have two colour choices: 'D5' is Charcoal while the '5B' is silver. So you are talking about a Charcoal one then. You shouldn't pay more than £3k for the latest 5 series, either colour of this screen now (stand extra).
    Hope this helps.
    Harry.

4. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I viewed the series 4 pan 42" early in the year and was just about to purchase when the series 5 appeared.
    When I finally viewed it I was disappointed.
    Panasonic have responded to one customer regarding the picture quality and stated that a very low level of flicker may now be seen. This has happened in our endevours to increase the colour depth of the pixels. It should not be visible to most people.
    I unfortunately am one of those individuals. Most people think it is better than before and that they do not notice the flicker, my opinion is that it is sharper focused than most I have seen.
    The series 5 37" discounted price is around £3,000 to £3,200.
    If possible try to view using the source you will watch most.
    Good luck, I am still looking.

5. Bonzaimaster

Bonzaimaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was also very concerned about the flicker on the series 5 as I am quite susceptible to it.

However I managed to get a 37” series 4 for £2295 from John Lewis in Reading (with an RCA terminal card and including a 5 year guarantee). I installed it all last Friday and I’m very impressed indeed. I get a rock steady display with excellent reproduction of colours. I also managed to get hold of the discrete Pronto codes for practically all the features (including aspect ratios) so I’m very happy with the setup.

6. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Well done.
    If I can find a 37" series 4 in JL for a similar price I will buy !
    If I can manage the impossible and find one I may be back to ask for the pronto codes.