Panasonic Plasma or Sony 1080p LCD?

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by JonA4, Sep 11, 2007.

1. JonA4

JonA4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just found this forum and must say sorry for asking this question for the millionth time!!!!

I'm looking at changing my JVC AV32-WFT1 CRT TV to a 37" or 40" TV but I'm stuck to which way I should go.

Option 1
    Sony 40W2000 40" 1080p LCD

or

Option 2
    Panasonic TH37PX70 Plasma

We watch general TV as well as films off DVD and SKY, motor racing, football and most Discovery channels. We are not in to gaming.

I have found both of these units at very good prices, but I'm confused to what to go for. I like the idea of 1080p but will I only benefit if I'm using a HD-DVD player etc? Both TV's get very good reviews. PLEASE HELP!!!!! :lease:

Also I own a Marantz AV processor but only run the audio through it. Am I mad? What benefit will I get by running the Video through it or should I leave it well alone?
    :lease::lease:

Lastly, My KEF sub (from the 2005.2 set) has packed up as it was left on stand-by. Can anyone help me in getting it repaired?
    :lease::lease::lease:

Many thanks

2. jetinder

jetinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    The Sony LCD is a great looking tv, i'd say one of the best LCDs around but if you watch tennis or football you can still see blocky bits around them where as on the plasma you wont see them.

In the end its your money, get a few good DVDs you like take them to the shop and see how they look on both TVs and then decide which one you like.

3. SpaceMumps

SpaceMumps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I found that SD (standard definition) broadcasts didn't look as good on 1080p as on 720p. We compared Sony LCDs (inc W2000) side by side and the difference was quiet obvious. I guess its's due to the amount of upscaling done.. We went for a Panny plasma in the end as we prefered the plasma PQ. Why not get a 42" plasma anyway? :D

4. JonA4

JonA4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jetinder. Thanks for that help, I will try that. I have also found the fantastic podcast on this site answering most my TV questions. I guess a lot is to do with the thought that 1080p sounds good and that I "must have the best for less". But the Panasonic does look very good.:rolleyes:

Thanks too Spacemumps. We are quite close to the TV, less than 2 meters so I think it would be a bit OTT for us but we are thinking of moving house so you never know. We have seen the 42" version at Digitaldirect.co.uk for £819 inc p&p which sounds very good. But at the moment I think it's just a bit too big?

5. TranceFan

TranceFan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Sony looks good.... til you turn it on. Bad SD, motion blur, cloudy screen, cant be calibrated properly, avoid.

6. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    It's not just the res & the need to upscale SD higher to produce a 1080p picture, the blacks on that Sony can't match the Panasonic and just try looking at it from slightly off centre.

7. jetinder

jetinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    2 meters = 6.6 feet

You need to be 9-10 feet (3 meters) or more for a 42 inch.

For 37 inch you can get away with 6.6 feet.

You can get 37 inch plasmas such as the PX70
    :-
    http://www.soundandvisiononline.co.uk/moreinfo/index.asp?product_id=12735&referredby=STEAK-NEXTAG

These will give " big screen " feel to smaller rooms, the advantage of a 37 inch over 42 and 50 inch is the picture will look a bit sharper.

Its all down to the way human eyes work.

Look at 6 x 4 inch photo, then have the same one enlarged to A4 size.

The 6 x 4 will look sharper than the A4, same principle applies to tvs.

8. fdxd

fdxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sasmung 1080p 50" plasma. P96

9. tirmason

tirmason
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I second that.

10. JonA4

JonA4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    50" is W-A-Y too big!!!

11. SpaceMumps

SpaceMumps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    N-O W-A-Y! 50" is the way to go. And I'm 11 feet away from mine - it's fantastic. :D

You spot some dodgy SD brodcast faults occasionally but but most of the time the PQ is great. We're very pleased.

I understand some people like a smaller picture though, each to his own. We like the 'movie' experience and a bigger screen counteracts the black bands.

12. Zarch

Zarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    Jon,

i have a 37" PX70 and love it. My main sources are SKY-HD and my HTPC (for DVDs and downloaded files). Granted, its not brilliant as a pure PC desktop but in media centre environment is fine and all media clips & DVDs(upscaled via software) pay great. 1080 clips downscale perfectly, SD DVD's upscale great too.

SD is very good, i was worried coming from a decent Sony 32" 100hz CRT, but i was pleasently suprised.

Football is great, even more so in HD, the picture quality never ceases to amaze.

For the 700-750 quid you can get one for, its a no brainer for me.

I sit about 8 foot away which is ideal. Although i do wish i had the physical room for the 42", which is only £100 more now. But i don't!! lol.

The only downside i've got about the PX70 is the PC desktop at the moment, although i'm still messing with settings etc on the HTPC, so i wouldn't write that off completely. But as i said, the media centre side looks fine.

On the upside, SD, HD, football, DVDs, media clips (1080 and 720 resolutions) all look wonderful. Wish i'd done it sooner.

I can't comment on PS3, XBOX 360 etc, although i did install Tiger Woods PGA on the htpc and that looked pretty good too!! :)

I think i'll be keeping hold of the px70 for quite a while..... the 1080p market is still too formative for me, and expensive. :thumbsdow

13. JonA4

JonA4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen this 100hz thing mentioned a lot recently. Are plasma TVs 100hz?
    We are still ummin' and arghin' about what to go for. I like the spec of the Sony. 40", 1080p etc.

The Panasonic is just tipping the balance but the Sony 40W2000 has had a stunning review every where. Why should we keep away from it or LCD? Or should we?

I'm just off to see both sets in Currys. My purchase will be from John Lewis though as they have got a 5 year guarantee at the mo. (I think).

Keep you updated later..... :rolleyes:

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    The Sony reviews must have been in the Stevie Wonder fan club magazine, they are strictly for the easily pleased. And FGS a 42" is only just bigger than the 40LCD, you will regret not buying the biggest you can you know.

15. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,369
    TH37PX70PED for £660 here:-

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5493924#post5493924

I agree with MAW though, you should get a 42". Also have you considered the Samsung PS42Q97HDX? It's available for £750 (perhaps less if you look around) with a 3yr warranty and is supposed to be very good

Oh and if it helps, I viewed a 1080p LCD and a 1366x768 LCD side by side in my living room connected to SkyHD and I honestly couldn't tell the difference, there's a lot more to PQ than resolution I can tell you!

16. JonA4

JonA4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We are just about convinced to go for a 42" Panasonic TH42PX70-PED.
    The best price we have found is £799 including the stand from Richer Sounds in Birmingham.

Anyone had a better price?

:hiya::lease::hiya::lease::hiya:

17. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,369
  18. JonA4

JonA4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We're set on the Panasonic 37PX70 or is it the 42PX70????

Is there a particular way to set it up? I've read to give it 200 hours to settle in or something? On one of the podcasts on this site they said to take it off "dynamic" mode. Any other tips anyone?

19. JonA4

JonA4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well we finally made the purchase, Panasonic TH42PX70. We are only using it in SD quality and if I had to be honest, I'm a bit disappointed with the picture quality as yet. I've printed off the "set up" suggestions so I will have a good look through them. SKY HD is being ordered tonight.

Can anyone tell me if a scart (RGB) to component is the same, better or worse quality than scart (RGB) to scart (RGB)?

Cheers

20. JonA4

JonA4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now that I'm running Sky HD through it I'm VERY happy! It is a wonderful picture.

I just need to convince the wife that we need an upscaling DVD player. Fingers crossed!!!

:lease::clap::hiya::lease::clap::hiya::clap::hiya::lease::clap::hiya::lease::clap::hiya:

21. greggx101

greggx101
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Hows the SD PQ now ? got used to it ? or made it look better ? Im torn between this and a sony 40 lcd

22. JonA4

JonA4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I love the HD, it's wicked! I am used to SD now. We have moved the TV back another 10 inches and it has helped a lot.

The trouble with HD is that you end up watching all the crap films on Sky just because there in HD. Ha ha :rotfl:

23. BSNismo

BSNismo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,368
    agreed and all the nature programs although planet earth on bbc hd is breathtaking most of the time.

24. JonA4

JonA4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NE1 know when more HD channels are being introduced?

25. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Check out the SkyHD forum Jon. I don't think there are any new rumours though.

26. SeanBBY

SeanBBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With the addition o fhte 120Hz processors gone (almost) are the days of blurry LCD's.The 120Hz processor does a great job correcting that problem. My personal opinion is to go with the sony although the sd card slot on the new panasonics is a cool feature...But at the end of the day the Sont is a better TV !

27. Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Great advice Sean.:D

Two weeks too late, but what the heck!!:oops::rotfl: