Panasonic Plasma keep or dump?

Just waiting delivery guys.

E9409C19-C32E-4B56-9C71-E3CEE27D2FAE.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Have you checked that the bolt threads for the new TV are the same size as your old one ? The bolts for my Panasonic OLED were different to my old Panasonic plasma, presumably due to the weight difference (M6 and M8 respectively, IIRC).

Have you checked that the bolt threads for the new TV are the same size as your old one ? The bolts for my Panasonic OLED were different to my old Panasonic plasma, presumably due to the weight difference (M6 and M8 respectively, IIRC).

Not yet, I'll check that once the set arrives, worst comes to the worst I'll nip down to the local Aladdin's cave, I mean hardware shop.

Seriously the shop is about the size of a bus shelter with every single thing you could ever think of hardware wise for stock:D

Tell you something that old Panny is a seriously heavy bit of kit.

image.jpg

Thats it installed guys still got to tidy up the cables etc and mess about with settings but picture quality is absolutely amazing.

This is the godfather 2 on the ATV 4k second generation.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

looks better than before

looks better than before
Thanks for the recommendation @tvdavid I'm absolutely delighted with the TV.

Just need a new AV unit now and maybe a sound bar fitted to directly under the TV to hide the double socket and the cable socket under the TV otherwise I'll have to drop the bracket down about 2" the TV is slightly off level it's about 4mm high on the left hand side no doubt the wife will spot that:D

Definitely a two man job fitting these TVs especially if they're being wall mounted, luckily enough my daughter's partner gave me a hand to install it.

I've removed the Panasonic recorder for the moment.

Anyone know which HDMI input is best for the ATV 4k ?

Thanks

Tony

Your bracket and TV did look a bit wonky - I thought it was the angle of the photos making it look higher on the left-hand side at first, but presumably not ! That would drive me mad :D

The height you have it at currently looks quite a bit higher than is ideal and you've got plenty of room to lower it. I would take the opportunity to relocate it to a more comfortable viewing height and get it level :)

The bracket is actually level there’s a small on board level on the wall part of the bracket but your right it does need lowered and levelled.

Hi guys, I have altered the height of the TV now and levelled it properly it’s still slightly high on the right hand side but it’s barely noticeable now, I put a spacer on the bar holding the TV bracket so that should settle in a few days and hopefully the TV will be level it’s only about 2mm high if that and we can live with it if it stays at the position.

The cable at the bottom of the TV is a temporary LAN cable, I installed a new cable in channel in the the wall behind the TV, the entry point is below the IKEA unit and the exit point is behind the TV.

I installed ducting in the wall when we did the room up about seven years ago so I’ve various cables in there most of which we don’t need now.

I’ve ordered a crimping tool and some RJ45 plugs so I’ll be able to get rid of the exposed LAN cable tomorrow.

I’m currently researching sound bars but that’s a whole other kettle of fish, quite fancy the Sonos Beam or ARC but those use the TV as a hub and I’m not so keen on that implementation, I have a Yahama MusicCast set up which works great so I might go down the Yamaha sound bar road so that I can hook the turntable up to the sound bar without having to have a separate amplifier but the Yamaha stuff is pretty old now but we‘ll see, I’m open to suggestions though.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 2008 Plasma Panasonic 50" I have really enjoyed and in the same consideration mode. I'm going back and forth between the LG C1 OLED and the Samsung QN90A (QLED) and leaning toward the QLED now due to the burn in issues, and reflectivity of the OLED screen. As much as I don't want to lose the black blacks, I'm concerned about what I've read and heard re: the OLED and LG. Right now, for example, the TENNIS channel has been on since 11am, pausing for commercial breaks, leaving the screen on ... and the LOGO hasn't moved. The light from the window that's 45 degrees off from the screen isn't causing a lot of glare, but it sometimes does. Otherwise we watch at night. The Samsung just may be the compromise as they are within $100 of each other "Black Friday" sales. I just can't seem to get enough info either way to make the definitive answer.

I have a 2008 Plasma Panasonic 50" I have really enjoyed and in the same consideration mode. I'm going back and forth between the LG C1 OLED and the Samsung QN90A (QLED) and leaning toward the QLED now due to the burn in issues, and reflectivity of the OLED screen. As much as I don't want to lose the black blacks, I'm concerned about what I've read and heard re: the OLED and LG. Right now, for example, the TENNIS channel has been on since 11am, pausing for commercial breaks, leaving the screen on ... and the LOGO hasn't moved. The light from the window that's 45 degrees off from the screen isn't causing a lot of glare, but it sometimes does. Otherwise we watch at night. The Samsung just may be the compromise as they are within $100 of each other "Black Friday" sales. I just can't seem to get enough info either way to make the definitive answer.
Sports that can be notorious for long run times are a danger to OLED longevity in the long term. Not in the short term, as unlike Plasma single sessions lasting a long time are generally not a problem.

With OLED the effect is cumulative, so if for example you watch tennis often with static logos or tickers it could cause a problem in a few years time. Tennis being generally a summer sport is less of a threat probably than someone who watches their baseball team for hours every weekend.

Generally though logos themselves are not as much of an issue as they used to be, especially with LGs where you can use the auto-logo-luminance adjustment to dim them.

The real danger is with news channels, sports channels with the rolling tickers, static images etc. Not sure what channel you're watching but if its similar to ESPN then you get rolling tickers on the screen even when you're watching a game.

The argument of glare on OLEDs is over-stated imo. They cope well with reflections, they just aren't fantastic like some of the higher end LCD TVs are. You shouldn't need to have fantastic anti glare unless you know you watch a lot in very bright conditions, and that you aren't willing to control light coming into the room.

That Philips 65" OLED @ £1200 is an absolute steal the picture quality os outstanding the old Plasma, whilst an excellent TV, doesn't even come close the blacks are inky black and deep and the ambilight thing is the icing on top of a rather lovely cake.

Hi guys, thought I'd update this thread.

I hooked up my Panasonic Blu-ray player to the TV's HDMI 1 port to watch some stuff I have on the player's HDD and also check out the picture on the TV with a couple of BR discs that I have and the picture quality really is superb however I have my ATV 4k 2nd generation connected to the HDMI 2 port and was watching a movie from my iTunes purchases and noticed the Dolby Atmos thing constantly starting and stopping with a black screen whilst the movie was playing so I removed the HDMI cable from HDMI 1 and the Dolby/black screen thing stopped and we were able to watch the movie properly.

I'm guessing this is the infamous Dolby Atmos bug in the TV?

I only have the ATV hooked up to the TV so have never had this issue previously and when I hooked up the Panasonic recorder stuff played from that with no issues at all it was only when I switched sources to watch the movie on the ATV that this issue appeared.

I'm still amazed at the picture quality of the TV with the feeds we watch but on occasion I have noticed a bit of motion blur when watching a stream from some catch up Apps notably Chanel four's catch up service.

I rarely watch sport so that doesn't really bother me to be honest, the stream we were watching was the new Miriam Margoyles round Scotland series which is excellent but I noticed the motion blur when the two presenters were in a motor home driving and the shot was a close up of the two of them in the front seat of the van with the camera obviously on the windscreen looking directly at the two of them and as they moved their heads about the motion blur was quite obvious.

I'm also seeing some quite warm looking colours at times in some movies we know quite well but I have been playing around with the TV settings so possibly that's the issue or the movies/feeds are just poor recordings/streams.

I'm still absolutely delighted with the TV and happy that I bought it to replace the Panasonic Plasma.

Thanks

Tony

I'm also seeing some quite warm looking colours at times in some movies we know quite well but I have been playing around with the TV settings so possibly that's the issue or the movies/feeds are just poor recordings/streams.
Have you experimented with the TV's colour temperature settings ? These will vary from Cool to Warm. The Cinema picture modes (and some others) often default to the warmer settings (many TVs have Warm1, 2 and even 3) so you could could try dropping it down one step at a time until you find a level you're happy with.

Have you experimented with the TV's colour temperature settings ? These will vary from Cool to Warm. The Cinema picture modes (and some others) often default to the warmer settings (many TVs have Warm1, 2 and even 3) so you could could try dropping it down one step at a time until you find a level you're happy with.

Hi @mikej, no I've not touched any of those settings I just set up the TV with the recommended 'medium' settings all the way through however I have been changing some of the picture modes, interestingly I thought that 'monitor' mode looked good for watching movies but I've since changed everything back to my A1 personal settings which are basically all the medium settings per above.

At the moment I'm just using the TV's speakers for sound which doesn't sound too bad to be honest, I've tried the TV connected via an optical cable to my Yamaha stereo receiver and out through my speakers and the sound isn't much different or better to be honest, definitely think I need a centre speaker but that would mean buying and AV amp or I could buy a Soundbar and keep the stereo receiver and speakers but I'm not sure what to do but I would like decent sound for TV listening/movies etc.

Thanks

Tony

I'm guessing this is the infamous Dolby Atmos bug in the TV?
This bug:

?

Try turning off match frame rate in the apple settings.

Also, contact Philips to mention you have the bug, hopefully they will fix it. Should be doable since it didn't seem a problem with prior firmware.

Apart from that, glad you are happy with the TV!

This bug:

?

Try turning off match frame rate in the apple settings.

Also, contact Philips to mention you have the bug, hopefully they will fix it. Should be doable since it didn't seem a problem with prior firmware.

Apart from that, glad you are happy with the TV!

Aye I think it's that, funnily enough I downloaded and installed the newest firmware last week and I also set up the ATV using this article below at the same time.

I only have the ATV connected to the TV now, it's connected into HDMI 2 which is the 2.1 port I believe?

Apple TV 4K recommended settings​

GroupSettingValue
VideoFormat4K SDR 60 Hz (USA)
4K SDR 50 Hz (Europe)
HDMI outputYCbCr (use RGB only if you know how to set up your TV)
Chroma4:4:4
Match ContentMatch Dynamic RangeOn (OLED & high-end LED LCD TVs)
Off (all other LED LCD TVs)
Match Frame RateOn
AudioAudio FormatAuto
Reduce Loud SoundsOff
Audio ModeAuto

One of the workarounds mentioned in that thread is to turn Match Frame Rate off, since it seems to be related to sending the 24fps film frame rate to the TV. You can try that and wait for a fix from Philips.

Be sure to contact them, so they know you have the issue.

@tony cosgrove a very nice set up you have there - great to see the pictures - and the 706 is indeed a bargain. My dad has just purchased one and we wall mounted it last week. Now need to play around with the picture settings. If you don't mind me asking, what settings did you settle on? Thanks, Mark

@tony cosgrove a very nice set up you have there - great to see the pictures - and the 706 is indeed a bargain. My dad has just purchased one and we wall mounted it last week. Now need to play around with the picture settings. If you don't mind me asking, what settings did you settle on? Thanks, Mark

Thanks Mark, re the settings I just used the TV recommended settings ie medium all the way.

Tony

Thought I'd update this thread again guys.

I've just bought and installed a new AV unit, I think it looks pretty good for not a lot of cash £189 from Amazon, Clifton 08 is the unit, had to cut a bit of the back away to install the amp and get to the inputs etc but you can't see the back of the unit where the amp is so neat enough.

I've decided that I'm just going to stick with the TV speakers and stereo for music I was going to go down the AV receiver road and buy a centre speaker and use the Elac's too.

I did look at buying a Yamaha musiccast sub and using that with the Elac's but apparently the musiccast sub doesn't integrate with wired speakers so you have to buy two or four Yamaha musiccast speakers or connect the sub wired to the Yamaha's sub out so that would have meant a whole lot of faffing about for not a lot of gain, also
I'd have had to sell my Elac's and bought the Yamaha speakers and with the best will I the world I doubt there would have been any advantage to doing all of that.

I love the TV BTW the picture quality is fantastic and it's perfect for our TV watching needs.

Thanks Tony.

tempImageag0mRs.png
tempImageQcZiCa.png
tempImageSfckdw.png

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom