1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic plasma interference between signals

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by radiostar, May 8, 2002.

1. radiostar

radiostar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a friend who has a Panasonic 42PWD4 plasma. When he connects S-Video sources and composite at the same time, there is interference between the two.

He's spoken to Panasonic UK about this and they've said it can be a problem with the silver version (apparently supplied by a different division of panasonic to the black one) if you're not using the panasonic TV card.

It sounds to me like maybe they're just trying to sell more TV cards! SURELY you must be able to connect composite and s-video simultaneously, otherwise it's just a waste of an input port. Has anyone else experienced this, or know of a workaround?

radiostar.

2. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I read on the avs forum that s-vid and composite cannot both be used on this display.
    They could be wrong though

3. YYZ

YYZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes that's right. you can't use both the S Vid and the Composite at the same time, one of the reasons I opted for another display

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Hello all

Radiostar - not sure how you quantify 'interference' but usually if you have the BNC board fitted into the D4 panel then as soon as you hook up an S-Video source the Composite source is disconnected - the two inputs share some common circuitry so cannot be used simultaneously.

I don't usually find this an issue when putting together connectivity plans as most of our customers will have an AV amp with multiple S-Video switching and even Component video switching; so not having a Composite video input is not normally a show stopper.

It costs about £9.00 to get a simple little in-line barrel that lets you connect a Composite video signal into an S-Video input on your AV amp so dealing with a Composite source is pretty easy really.

I'm not sure what the TV Card you are referring too is - possibly its the external Tuner box PTA-TU300B; which is a great way to blow £500+ on a useless piece of kit in my opinion. The tuner box is basically an external switcher with an inbuilt tuner and Teletext board and it connects into the Component Video inputs on any of the Panasonic Consumer (Silver) or Commercial (Charcoal) displays.

Personally I would never use the external tuner as the money can be far better spent elsewhere in your system to get you more input switching and usually gain better sound or video quality into the bargain.

Best regards

Joe

5. Mario Nicholas

Mario Nicholas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    It isn't a problem when using an AV amp, but in an application where you install one fitted with speakers & connect a Samsung combined DVD/VCR to it...
    The VCR & tuner outputs composite only & the DVD outputs composite & SVideo, the Pana wont allow switching between them.
    Panasonic tech. suggest their tuner box to overcome this. (No surprise there)

I used a Tributaries composite to SVideo convertor cable (Much cheaper & tidier) to utilise the SVideo input of plasma & IMO the resultant picture was better + easier to use.

"A simple in-line barrel £9" where can I get these from?

6. chienmort

chienmort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe is wrong. The TUPTA 300 is a tuner, decoder, progressive scan converter and teletext decoder in one box.

It is designed to be used with the Panasonic Plasma screens to increase the versatilty.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Matrix

The S-Video couplers are from CPC or Keene.

Regards

Joe

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Chienmort

OK, What have I missed!

01. Its a Terrestrial TV tuner - not a big issue for most customers I find.

02. Its a Teletext board - unique function.

03. Its a SCART and AV switcher - a very expensive one and most of our customers already have an AV amp with S-Video (YC) and Component (YPbPr) switching so its a simple matter of adding in a SCART box for sub £100 and possibly an RGB to RGBHV converter for £120.00.

04. Its a deinterlacer - is that not already covered onboard every D4 and 4B panel and if I was going to add in an external deinterlacer I would want one that improved on the panels internal processor.

05. Its available second hand for a fraction of its purchase price - because most customers who purchase one quickly find its limitations and dump it in the garage or the loft.

06. It degrades the picture quality if you try and play your high quality progressive scan DVD player through it - as it uses up the Component video inputs you cant bypass it.

We have customers with very complex input switching requirements and so far have not had to supply a single one of these units.

Regards

Joe

9. chienmort

chienmort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe,
    I was not trying to be funny, just sying that to call the TUPTA300 a tuner is misleading.

No more flames?

10. Steve1138

Steve1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    noticed same on my Philips TV today

- VCR 2 to front composite
    and
    - LEXICON DC-1 processor "monitor output" to front S-video on TV

get screen interference until unplugging one of the two vid leads from front.

Steve

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Chienmort

Apologies, I was not flaming - I just wondered if you had come up with a good way to use the TU-PTA300B (I had the letters round the wrong way the last time) that justified its high cost.

Honestly it wasn't me that decided to call it a Tuner Box - see:
    Panasonic TAU Plasma brochure - Optional Accessories - Tuner Box
    Panasonic Dealer price list - Optional Accessories - Tuner Box
    www.panasonic.co.uk - TH-42PW4BSYS - Plasma + Tuner Box

I still say its not worth the money whatever it does - buy a TiVo instead at £299; its got plenty of connectivity options.

Regards

Joe

12. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Some plasma users buy the remote controlled Quattro scart switcher - if you aint got one of those new fangled fancy amps - to add in scart stuff then connect the one line to one of John's RGB to VGA box's -> plasma. Also some use/buy an S-video vcr for terrestrial input.
    From what I've read, and having spoke to actual plasma owners, Joe is right about the tuner box being a gold plated urinal pot best avoided.