1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic plasma inputs

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by NeilS, Nov 16, 2001.

Tags:
  1. NeilS

NeilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi all,

I have a Panasonic plasma TH42PWD4 being delivered next week and have a query about the inputs...

I know it has component video but have been told that it is also possible to feed it directly with plain vanilla RGB. As I have a philips ITVDigital box with no svideo output I really need to use its RGB output.

Is this possible, if so How? I have seen RGB to svideo converters but I am keen to avoid this if at all possible.

Cheers,

Neil

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,787
    Never tried straight RGB with composite sync to a plasma. Not sure it would work. However John Sim at www.rgbtosvideo.co.uk (or .com) not sure which, also does a RGB composite sync to VGA convertor for just this purpose. I have used one and it works very well.

Gordon

3. brattle

brattle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    QED make a one way Scart to component lead, the AV19 I think. I believe it's for exactly this type of thing.

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,787
    A scart to component lead is likely to just be the RGB parts of the scart pins wired up to three phono plugs. Some DVD players can be set to output YPrPb (Y=G, Pr=R, Pb=B...wiring wise that is) from their scart sockets (Arcam's come to mind). This sort of cable would be no use with an OnDig/SkyBox and a plasma.

It's extremely unlikely that a QED scart lead will incorporate the electronics necessary to convert RGB to YPrPb.

The John Sim box takes the composite sync and splits it to horizontal and vertical syncs, giving the signal the correct timings for the plasma to recognise and sync to the signal, I believe.

I could be wrong....

Gordon

5. brattle

brattle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Neil said in his post that his Plasma will take an RGB signal (I presume this must be through the component inputs). Therefore, if the AV19 lead outputs RGB from the digibox, I'm guessing it will display it :confused:.

Quote from the QED Brochure:

AV19 - Scart to 6 x RCA Phonos - Component RGB + Stereo Audio Out + Sync

- For use where RGB + sync component video and stereo signals need to be transmitted from a Scart equipped AV source to an RCA phono equipped high-end TV or video projector. This cable is directional.

So it has Three leads for RGB and a sync lead, plus two stereo leads for the amp if the Digibox doesn't have its own phonos out.

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,787
    Hi Brattle,

There are many different types of ways of sending RGB info. RGsB, RGBcombined sync, RGBcomposite sync, RGBHVsyncs. Syncs can be either negative or positive......and on top of all that RGB can carry many different resolutions.

So it's important to confirm that the device you are sending an RGB type signal to can accept the type of RGB signal you want to send it......

The Plasma in question has RGB inputs through its "PC" input (hd15) or through its 5BNC sockets (switchable to accept component or RGB)

From theQED brochure spec you posted they are being slightly ambiguous. RGB is a component signal as is s-video as is Component (YPrPb). Component, as used by DVD players, is YsPrPb where the little "s" signifies that the sync signal is carried on the "Y" part. So this lead wouldn't use the sync part.

The above sync or no sync thing is what I intend to check on the Loewe TV thing from the other thread.

Richard Ansell and I had replied to a poster about these issues a few weeks back. With Richards permission I will try to collate all this info to a concise document to put on my site. I'll also send it to Spectre for use here.

Gordon

7. brattle

brattle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gordon, I can see I'm probably getting out of my depth here. I think you'd better listen to him, Neil ;).

BTW I look forward to reading that article if you get it done :).

8. AshF

AshF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,787
    Thanks ASH.

There, someone hao done it! That's alwaays the best way of finding out if it works.

Gordon

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, Ash is spot-on.....
    interestingly, the panasonic will also accept its sync signal via the s-video connection (you still select 'composite' as the sync source in the menu)

One annoying feature is that if you connect an s-video lead to the tv, the composite input is bypassed.

11. NeilS

NeilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Cheers guys you've been most helpful.

Neil