• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic plasma GT50 60hz to 50hz

tvlover

Novice Member
Hi all, i want to purchase a 60" panasonic TV from the usa, and use it here in Israel. It supports only 60hz.

I've been doing some reading and I'm confused - is it possible to connect it via hdmi to my cable provider and with a 60hz to 50hz convertor - without losing picture quality?

Thanks in advance.

hodg100

Distinguished Member
tvlover said:
Hi all, i want to purchase a 60" panasonic TV from the usa, and use it here in Israel. It supports only 60hz.

I've been doing some reading and I'm confused - is it possible to connect it via hdmi to my cable provider and with a 60hz to 50hz convertor - without losing picture quality?

Thanks in advance.

The short answer is no, sorry. I'd give you a longer one but i'm posting from my p phone

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
i would disagree: There are plenty of folk who have watched and continue to watch 50Hz sources converted to 60Hz. You will find ticker tapes on news channels are not scrolling as smoothly as before. You may also find that sport is not as smooth as before. However, for many this is not important. I would try to see 50-60Hz motion in action before committing a large sum of money to it though.

going the other way and taking a 60Hz source down to 50Hz would be a much bigger mess.

hodg100

Distinguished Member
Hmm, ok, choppy to my eyes :)

I do think the OP would be best served by trying to get hold of a cheap Euro Panasonic though.

scottthehat

Distinguished Member
why buy from the us if you dont mind me asking and not europe.

leeboy22001

The only way to get good frame rate convertion is to use motion compensation ! Most are linear converters and won't be upto the job if you want smooth non jerky video :)... I know what i'm talking about as I'm a design engineer for company who develop and manufacture high quality video converters :)

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom