1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Plasma GREEN screen burn???

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by tandk_1, Apr 3, 2003.

1. tandk_1

tandk_1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I watched the England match on my Panasonic Plasma last night and afterwards evrything had a GREEN TINT!!! (Gary Linkeker and Alan Hansen looked positively sea sick!) Obviously this has something to do with the GREEN pitch covering the majority of the screen for 90 minutes (although half time gave it a rest!)

I tried putting on the screensaver for a couple of minutes but it made no difference.

Please could someone tell me if that is normal and will go away again or have I done some sort of irreperable damage?

2. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +648
    Are you sure that your SCART lead isn't falling out.

As the signals within the SCART are Red, Green and Blue, if the connector is out in such a way that one of the signal is not making contact, then you are going to get a funny colour 'tint' to the picture.

I take it that the GREEN TINT you are seeing covers the WHOLE screen, and not just patches?.

My guess is either a connection problem, or something wrong with the input of the screen (or output of your other hardware).

3. tandk_1

tandk_1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am using Component Cables - I suppose it is feasible one of the wires has fallen out - I will check. But with 1 wire out wouldn't that mean there would be no picture?

It is also too much of a coincidence that the green tint occured after watching the football.

The green tint is even making the infamous Sky Red Button Icon look more like green!

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Save messing with cables slap in aDVD and see if it has the same Green tint. If so it might be the screen, or compcables. If its fine the check the Sky box output cable.

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    You would only get no signal if Y lead was disconnected. If the TV has been set to RGB in on the BNC's somehow then you'd get a nice green image...check in "set up" on plasma

Gordon

P.S. Almost 100% sure this is a configuration problem

6. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Via component, losing the RED signal will cause the image to go green.

(Screen burn takes hours to burn in and wouldn't happen evenly accross the whole screen from a footie match - good match tho:clap: )

7. tandk_1

tandk_1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all for your replies - I will try each of them and come back with good or bad news!

Liam - Yes it was a great game! Good to see England actually play well.

8. tandk_1

tandk_1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Slightly confused. The next time I switched the Plasma on again the colour had returned to normal!?!

Obviously I am concerned if this will happen again (I can't not watch big football matches!)

Anyone else had this strange GREEN experience?

Thanks

Tony

9. cskates

cskates
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You can continue to watch football :) If it were screen burn caused by the green pitch then the green pixels would be dimmer than the red and blue, giving a purple cast to the picture.

Could be a faulty wire or a connection in the plasma, try swapping leads first and check if it happens on s-video or composite as well, or only with the component input.

10. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi,

I don't have a plasma but I know about the green tint you mentioned.

Sometimes when I watch SKY (through RGB) people watching will always say "It's a bit green isn't it". Rather than explain, that the RGB scart lead is a bit loose I press the TV button on the SKY remote. This switches the the TV's RGB signal to composite. "Oh that's better picture" I hear.

I wish I had the energy to explain to them.

So it happens to me on a crt. I think it's a SKY RGB thing.