1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Plasma cutting out

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by bentimmis, Aug 12, 2003.

1. bentimmis

bentimmis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 37" Panasonic plasma gives an excellent picture, but, for no apparent reason, has simply cut out now 3 times without any warning. Once it's done this, I can't re-start the screen for up to 15-20 minutes, until the thing has cooled down. I assume it's a problem with the power supply, and Panasonic have kindly agreed to inspect it back in their Bracknell facility (so how do I get it back there...?). If any wise person has any ideas, I'd of course be very grateful.

Cheers!

Ben Timmis

2. nickt

nickt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ben,
    My 42" panel is going in to Panasonic on Friday. They have arranged deinstallation, collection and a loan panel while it is away. Quite who would pay for all this in your case will probably depend on your warranty, but I was impressed by the fact that I have arranged this all directly rather than via the dealer who sold me it (who have been less than helpful about everything else in the past). I only emailed Panasonic last week, so response has been great so far. My panel is under 12 months old, but if yours is not much older then it is worth a call to them. It is expensive kit, and I think they will be sympathetic.

Nick

3. bentimmis

bentimmis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick - I'm very grateful for your message, could you please let me know the 'phone number to call Panasonic, and (if you can) tell me who the helpful person was who you spoke to. I can't imagine i'll ever get the thing back myself in 1 piece (and I threw out the box months ago...)

Cheers.

Ben

4. nickt

nickt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ben,

I emailed them but you can call them too
    08705 357357 or customer.care@panasonic.co.uk

You shouldn't need the box - they will collect in a flight case.

I'll PM you the name of the person I spoke to.

Cheers,

Nick

5. bentimmis

bentimmis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks - messages all received.

Ben

6. bluebear

bluebear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nickt,

Whats wrong with your Panasonic ?

Regards,

Bluebear.
    :)

7. nickt

nickt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It objected to being struck by lightning! The strike killed (in order from the ariel)
    Pace DTV box
    Sony DVD (using RGB pass-through)
    JS RGB-VGA box
    Panny plasma VGA input (the rest of it works fine)

I had a whole host of other stuff fryed too - VCRs, phone, PC

Perhaps I need a surge protector - no, it can only happen once - right?

--Nick

8. bluebear

bluebear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nickt,

Im VERY sorry to hear about that !!
    Thats very bad luck M8, I was only thinking the other day about earthing my roof aerial pole.

I have a belling Lee surge protector on my Panny, but I don't think that would stop lightning !!!

Hope you get it sorted, it may be worth getting a brand new replacement on the house insurance.

Regards,

Bluebear.
    :)

9. nickt

nickt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bluebear,

Thanks! Everything else has been replaced on the new-for-old cover, but for some reason Direct Line want to have a go at repairing a 3K plasma. Can't imaging why :)

Anyway, all it has cost me so far is the £50 excess. They may still write it off - depends if the repair is economical, but given that the picture is perfect with S-video, I'm guessing it won't be hard to repair.

Cheers,

Nick

10. bluebear

bluebear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nickt,

Be very careful about getting your Panny repaired, as any electronic device that has been exposed to very high voltage spikes can fail at a later date.
    An example of this is static electricity, this can stress an electronic device such as a IC or transistor and it will work for a time and then fail after a period of time.

So ensure you get a very long warranty cover with the repair (6 - 12 months) to make sure other components don't also fail.

Good to hear that the problem with your Panny is not caused by the plasma failing itself.

Regards,

Bluebear.
    ;)

11. nickt

nickt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bluebear,

That is very interesting - I didn't know that! Thanks. I will check on the warranty of the repair.

Nick

12. Orbitalzone

Orbitalzone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Yes that's a very good point. Personally I'd mention it to the insurers and get them to put in writing that they'll repair the plasma if it fails in the near future. Lightning can cause sod faults that only appear after longer time use.

Of course 6 months later if it goes wrong, the insurance company won't be very interested I doubt

13. lscolman

lscolman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Nick,
    My Panny 4 has just come back from Panasonic. It had intermittent problems receiving remote commands. Panasonic could find nothing wrong with it. Also on two occasions came up with a white screen, and needed to be switched off and on again. After looking around several threads, this appears to be a common problem.

Hope they didn't leave you the Panasonic plasma that I had on loan for 6 weeks. It's a PW1, and the screen is all scratched. It's not a patch on the PWD4 model.

Cheers,
    Lee

14. nickt

nickt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lee,

The loaner machine is a silver TH-42PW4 - with a scratched screen! Then again, much better than looking at the backplate of my Unicol wall bracket for a month.

--Nick