1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Plasma Aspect Ratio Problems

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by PhilJW, Nov 12, 2003.

1. PhilJW

PhilJW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help? I've just entered the grown up world of plasma
    screens and upgraded from my old Philips 32" CRT and seem to be encountering a few problems. I've done a search but cant find the specific answers to my queries.

I now have a Panasonic TH-42PWD6 connected to my Yamaha RXV 630 receiver with component video cables. Both my Skybox and DVD player connect into the receiver, also with component video cables.

My first question is: is this the best way to connect everything up or can I get a better picture with different connections?

And secondly: what is up with all the aspect ratios? Theres is no
    automatic switching (which in my naivity I thought there would be) but I can live with that (just!), but there doesnt appear to be a ratio that corresponds to anamorphic widescreen. It has 16:9 (old style letterbox), Zoom (which just zooms in on the centre of screen) and 'Just' (which expands the edges of the picture but not the centre to force a 4:3 picture to fill the whole screen)!!

Any help much appreciated, especially if someone can explain why the automatic switching described in the manual cannot be switched on!

Thanks

2. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    You won't get w/s switching using component connection.
    16:9 is the correct setting for anamorphic material.
    Zoom is for non-anamorphic w/s material
    4:3 for 4:3
    'Just' is a horrible stretch mode and does not get used at all on my screen.

I have an older Panasonic (PW4) and although it has an auto mode, it doesn't work in the same way as the pin 8 scart control that you are used to.

3. PhilJW

PhilJW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks.

Just out of interest how is yours connected? Do you have a view as to whether scart is better than component?

4. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    My dvd player is connected direct to the screen using the component video connection. This allows me to use the player's progressive scan output.

My screen has no scart inputs so that is not an option.