Panasonic Plasma ARC Help!!

Cool-hand

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Can anyone please clarify what settings I should have switched on, on my Panny TX P46G20 to get the audio return channel (ARC) to work with an LG sound bar please!?

Quite literally pulling my hair out now!!

Steve

Does your LG soundbar (you ommited to give it's model no) have ARC?

Oops sorry, yes it has ARC. It's the LG NB4530A

I've tried a couple of spare hdmi leads I have kicking around but no luck, however they work 1 way, Ie; a picture is pushed throu from the DVD player to the TV via the sound bar.

I have ordered a new 1.4 spec hdmi lead now (even thou a Belkin 3D lead from a local store didn't cut it either) which makes me think its a settings issue!!!?

Thanks

Steve

Thought I should mention that the TV sound can still be turned up or down with the TV remote when connected via ARC hdmi or Optical. Not sure if the TV speakers are supposed to mute themselves when ARC is working correctly, (optical works fine so it is currently in service) but I would prefer to use ARC and then have access to the LG osd!

when i enable ARC on my panny the sound on the plasma is disabled and the volume is adjusted on the soundbar.

Hi w3

Can you confirm how/what settings you use please? Bearing in mind my set is 3/4 yrs old now.

I have gone to;

SETUP >> LINK SETTINGS >> then... VIERA Link "on" and HDMI content Detection "Auto".

Do I need to do anything else (am I missing something)?

The soundbar just switches to ARC on the R/C. (Don't know if any further settings on the soundbar need to be setup as I can't access the osd until I have ARC (yes, chicken & the egg)!?

Ta

what hdmi are you using on the back of the set - from memory ARC is HDMI 2

yep on 2 fella!

I must be getting olde as technology just turns me off now! :-(

:(

Ok - so whats connected to the IN on the soundbar? and i assume you have gone 'OUT' > HDMI2 ?

also seen on the net that the supplied cable is not ARC compatible which is redic when you think its a feature of the unit.

i see you have ordered a new HDMI so it does seem this could be the issue

QUOTE/

There were only two points that stopped me giving this full marks.

- lack of cables. No Optical cable supplied. The supplied HDMI cable is not high speed ( i.e. is not 1.4 and does not support ARC )
- LG has a neat feature that will switch on all HDMI connected devices at once when one device is switched on. i.e. when I switch on my TV, the soundbar switches on as well. A small negative is, that this does not happen instantaneously.

Overall this was a good buy, LG has been my favourite brand for a while now and in this case did not dissappoint.

END QUOTE/

Do you have an 'apps' button or does your TV pre-date that? As well as going into settings to switch ARC on on my newer set you then have to go to apps and viera link and select hi-fi speakers rather than TV.

Thought I should mention that the TV sound can still be turned up or down with the TV remote when connected via ARC hdmi or Optical. Not sure if the TV speakers are supposed to mute themselves when ARC is working correctly, (optical works fine so it is currently in service) but I would prefer to use ARC and then have access to the LG osd!

Read page 91 of your TVs user manual and make sure the LG is connected to the HDMI2 input on the Tv.

Thanks all... Sadly still a no go!

I am fully aware of hdmi port 2 being the arc channel but that's not happening! I wasn't aware of the speaker selection in the Viera Link menu!! (I have the old version that has a Viera Link button not an APPS button) I switched this from "TV" to "Home Cinema" and got the " Starting Up... Please Wait" box but nowt has happened or changed. Also tried restarting everything but that wasn't happening either!

Page 91 of my user manual is a spec page, there's only 92 pages In my manual. Ha!

w3 you are correct. I have my Panny DVD player in the 'IN' and the 'OUT' is connected directly to my tv hdmi port 2.

Steve

I have also just noticed that the Viera Link control is set to "player". Does this need changing?
It doesn't have any other options for change just "player" only??

Ok so no sky box to plug in just freeview?

Can you borrow a second hdmi from a friend or family member to try it today?

Hey, thanks all! I had a rummage around and found another hdmi lead and Bingo! It's all working well now! The LG soundbar has proven to be very good indeed for the ridiculous price of £280!! And I have a pretty respectable background of owning some highend kit!

Many thanks

Steve

Hi P

No this wasn't the case (although I can't speak for the newer Panny's), mine is 3/4 yrs old now. I needed to switched the Viera Link sound output to 'Home Cinema' which I hadn't done but with that still not working I finally swapped out the hdmi lead, for the 3rd time AND that finally did it. After speaking to SSAV the leads themselves are configured slightly different between hdmi v1.2 v1.3 v1.3a & v1.4. (and that is critical for your AV pleasure)!

All good now. Enjoying the Winter Olympics :)

Steve
NB. Oddly enough the LG soundbar required no configuring whatsoever! brilliant bit of kit, truly plug 'n play.

Just an FYI for anyone that stumbles on this thread for similar reasons to my starting the thread. . . I just discovered that the LCD digital display on the front of the soundbar can be dimmed or turned off by pressing the sleep button on the remote control! (without activating the sleep mode). V handy!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom