1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic plasma and scaler

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Anglolux, May 10, 2002.

1. Anglolux

Anglolux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm buying a W4D panny plasma today. Been told that for the best picture from all sources I should get an Extron scaler.

Am told it will be an even better picture than progressive scan.

Being a bit of a duffer, I want to run this past you guys (Joe?) before I shell out £2K on a scaler!!!

BTW, for today and TODAY only, they will price match the Discount TV price of £3399.99. Authorised Panasonic main dealers, so totally above board.:eek:

2. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    Before you consider a scaler do use your plasma for a while and see how you get on with its own internal scaler.

There are some threads developing over of the AVS boards on this issue right now and going for a scaler is not always the logical choice that it may at first appear to be.

Mark

3. ajb

ajb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

"BTW, for today and TODAY only, they will price match the Discount TV price of £3399.99. Authorised Panasonic main dealers, so totally above board."

Who is "they" in this case??

Regards
    Andrew

4. Anglolux

Anglolux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "they" is a branch of Audio-T.

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Anglo...."even better picture than progressive scan..."

The Panasonic plasma is a progressive display device. It already de-interlaces adn scales all sources being fed in to it. It is "progressive scan". The Extron scaler does exactly the same job as the electronics in the plasma...only hopefully to a higher degree of performance. Both are "progressive scan" it's just which one does best job of it....

The Panasonic you are looking at will give a superior image if used with a good external video processor. It's worth finding out whether the chosen scaler has aspect ratio control to make the displayed image the correct shape and also whether it will downscale PAL signals to the same resolution as the Panasonic plasma, as not all will. Using progressive YPrPb in to the BNC sockets on it will give you limited aspect ratio control on the plasma and using progressive RGBHV in to the VGA or BNC's will also not give you all the aspect ratio control. Just a little thing you should check on.

Basically I agree with the Mark that you should biew the two operating as you intend to use it and then decide.

Gordon

6. Steve1138

Steve1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    when I was doing my LOEWE / iScan test this week we also tried the iScan into a 4D 42" Panny.

I thought it looked OK, although I found the cell structure a bit noticable from where I was watching which was too close)

It WAS better with the iScan as opposed to feeding regular RGB by SCART to the display directly.
    Of course, you don't have all the line related issues that you have witha interlaced TV, but there were some issues with the standard picture which the iScan made improvements on.

Actually when we switched back to the LOEWE ARTICOS again with the iScan, we were only sitting about 5 feet away and it was great. As there's no line structure you could actually watch from that distance.
    The LOEWE was in front of the Panny, and you could see that the Panny 42" screen was "smaller" in the field of view than the up close LOEWE (i could still make out the plasma cells from there, too)...
    ..soooo, the Loewe would give you a 'bigger' (and better ?) picture if you can sit that close to it.
    May not be good in terms of room layout though / sound system..
    but for a small room - maybe preferable.

(if you can solve the geometry swicthing issue with the Loewe / VGA input. Sorry - should ahve mentioned taht again earlier on)

Steve

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    Anglolux

Going with an external scaler from day one is not a necessity in my books.

Get you panel home and installed into your own system, configure and calibrate your system to get the best results you can and then decide if there are areas you need to improve upon. (You may want to get a cost from Gordon for a full system calibration if your local dealer cannot provide this service).

Many of the video processors on the market have grown up alongside the CRT projector and Corporate Presentation market - Extron in particular is a good product in the Presentation market but would probably not feature too high in a poll of Home Theatre video processors State side - where there is a pretty big market for external processors to mate with your Home Theatre CRT projector.

Only very few processors are starting to appear that, as Gordon suggests, are Plasma friendly.
    See - http://www.focusinfo.com/products/quadscan_eliteHD/quadscan_elite.htm -

Around £1,000.00 for what is probably the first really Plasma friendly processor available in the UK - Gordon can hopefully jump in here with any other Plasma friendly recommendations.

I would be looking to get a home loan of any processor I was considering, after I had calibrated my system and identified areas of weakness, and try it in my system before actually shelling out on what may be an expensive door stop.

Best regards

Joe

8. MoonsSpawn

MoonsSpawn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would a video processor help cure the flicker and picture noise problems associated with the Panny 42" and Sky Digital?

DVD picturers via component are rock solid, but with Sky I get a distinct flickering and a certain amount of noise when using John Simms RGB to Plasma converter and the PC input.

Any thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

Moons.

9. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Moonspawn, try joining/looking on avsforum.com (in case you don't know). It's a US forum with far more plasma owners - UK as well - on who'll have suggestions - John Simm floats on there also and always tries to help.

10. MoonsSpawn

MoonsSpawn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Encaser :D

11. MoonsSpawn

MoonsSpawn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm,
    had a look on the AVS Forum, and the opinions seem to be deeply divided. Some thoroughly reccomend they're use while others are more dubious as to their overall merits.

I guess the only real solution is to actually try one. Anyone know of any UK company that operates a try before you buy scheme a la Joe's post?

Moons.