Panasonic Plasma 37"or 42"

neilneil

Novice Member
Hi,
I'm thinking of buying a Panasonic plasma but can't decide between the 37 and 42" versions. Given that they will both have the same processing engines, will the extra resolution of the 42" make any real difference? Especially since the 42" is bigger anyway.
I think that the 37 is probably better for the size of the room but it has such an odd pixel size. If I connect a media PC to this screen would the 42" be better with more PC like resolutions.

37"=1024x720 with SVGA and (XGA compressed)
42"=1024x768 with XGA and (SXGA compressed)

Cheers

-Neil

CHFels

The difference in size probably more than outweighs the extra 48 lines vertical, leaving the smaller plasma looking slightly sharper. It's hard to judge just by the vertical resolution of the panel, since (a) you'll generally want to input hi-def at 720p, to either panel; and (b) most of the time, the plasma will be scaling vertically anyway, to provide overscan :(. In my personal experience the difference just means you shouldn't buy the 42" over the 37" unless your room is large enough to let you sit far enough away, i.e. 2.8 meters or so.

CHFels

neilneil

Novice Member
Thanks CHFels that all makes sense to me. Thinking it through I should have calculated the dots per inch in vertical resolution to see which was sharper. :rolleyes:

So here we go...

A 37" screen is 32.25 inches wide by 18.14 High
A 42" screen is 36.6" wide by 20.59 high.

So a 37" screen gives 720/18.14=39.69 dots per inch verticaly.
And a 42 inch screen gives 768/20.59=37.30 DPI

So the 37" appears sharper. :smashin:

-Neil

Forget resolutions and spec sheets and actually LOOK at both displaying SD and HD from your normal viewing distance and then decide

Bob

neilneil

Novice Member
Forget resolutions and spec sheets and actually LOOK at both displaying SD and HD from your normal viewing distance and then decide

Bob
I agree that there is a whole lot more to generating a good picture than just resolution. However, since all the other parts were equal between the sets, I was interested in what difference the greater resolution on a larger size screen would show. Also whether it was better to go for a more PC like resolution.

Cheers

-Neil

booth1976

I plugged my PS3 into my parents Hitachi 42 inch plasma and sat just less than two metres away. It looked fantastic :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom