1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic PL1 (32") and moire?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Joe Pineapples, Nov 3, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +854
    i have read threads about problems with Panasonic tv's and the moire pattern when viewing an ntsc signal. Is this on certain models or the whole range?

thinking about the PL1.

cheers

dean

2. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its a problem on most if not all Panasonic flat widescreen models and the only suggestion so far is to slighty de-focus the tube. I've also heard some of the Loewe TV's have the same problem.

3. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +854
    Guess i'll have to take my multi-region DVD player down to the shop and look for myself, but not too sure what to look for. I've seen the effect on a pc monitor - usually against a light grey background, and also on tv with a vicious 1970's checked suit :) (same effect?)

Bearing all this in mind, any idea how it shows up on screen? - ie, is it all over the screen, all of the time, or does it only effect certain scenes at certain times?

cheers

dean

4. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had 2 panny tvs with this problem. One of the was the PL1. I noticed it most on a b/w film. I remember it was run silent run deep when it showd the submarine under the water. It was down each side of the screen. Horozontal lines starting at the top (quite narrow) then widening out toward the middle edge of the screen. VERY ANNOYING. My sister has an older panny tv, 4;3 model and it also suffers. hth

shaun

5. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its like a hugh finger print type line structure and on the panny's I've owned/own it runs down both left and right sides of the screen. I get round it by just setting my DVD player to PAL only so when watching NTSC material it outputs psuedo NTSC which is better known has PAL 60. This means I can watch the NTSC stuff without the problem but you do lose tint control.

6. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +854
    thanks for that tip mandlebrot, and the other replies guys - i usually have my pioneer 535 set to 'auto', but i'll try that on the other and see what i think of the picture then (for when i hopefully get the pana)

cheers

dean

7. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    when i had my pioneer 444 player set to pal I still got the moire effect. No matter what I had it on I got moire. so dodes my sister.#

shaun