1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic pixel mappimg

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by witters, Jan 30, 2004.

1. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Is this something that is designed to alleviate dead pixels by ignoring them? I had an Olympus camera that worked on a similar principal.

If so, I may look at a Panny 300 from Komplett as it's dead pixels that have been holding me back.

Any help appreciated.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Um, not sure where you've seen the phrase 'pixel mapping' but there's no feature on the 300 which would appear to be what you're describing, ie. having some 'spare' pixels to replace those in the main display area.

If you're concerned about dead pixels you may want to think of buying from somewhere that does 'dead pixel checks', such as the place I got mine from DiscountElectrical who give a 'free' screen as well.

3. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Nice one - thanks.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Just had a thought .. there is a phrase connected with projectors 'pixel mapping', usually '1:1 pixel mapping' which refers to getting an input signal the same resolution at the native size of the projector, this allows the on-board scaler to be bypassed as the signal can be displayed without re-sizing .. on board scalers are often inferior to those built into scaling DVD players and PCs.

5. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    I wondered if that might be it.

Is there a major difference between the 200 & 300? I have seen the 200 for £650 new.

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    AFAIK the main difference is the resolution ... depending on the size of screen you're thinking of using that may or may not be something of importance.

The 300 has a somewhat better contrast ratio, ie. slightly better blacks, and is a bit brighter, though since I've not compared the 2 I wouldn't want to say how noticeable either would be .. if you're going to have a completely blacked-out viewing room then you'd get the most benefit from whatever improvements the 300 offers, any ambient light at all and the better CR will rapidly vanish.

7. VirusKiller

VirusKiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    The 300 has "smoothscreen" technology to reduce the pixelation (chicken-wire) effect. The 200 does not. This may or may not be important to you depending on how far back you plan to sit. I've just got a 300 and am viewing at only 1.25x screen width :D with hardly a trace of pixel structure visible. I bought the 300 over the Sanyo Z1 for this feature.

Note, some people feel the smoothscreen leaves the image looking a bit soft. It depends on your preference. I wouldn't be able to live without it.

IMO, the 300 is fab! If you can afford one, go for it!