1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic PHD8 - Does it need a scaler?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by MattMcSpirit, Sep 16, 2005.

1. MattMcSpirit

MattMcSpirit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi guys,

Im pretty new to the old Plasma market, and having just graduated, i cant afford one just yet anyhow. However, the point of my post...

Next year sometime, id be hoping to buy a 42" (ish) Plasma, and up until recently, ive been reading the boards, and reviews, and have shortlisted the PV500 and the 436XDE as pretty darn good for what id be looking for. I know each has their followers, and without demo-ing either, i cant say which id prefer, perhaps the XDE due to it being newer.

However, i have recently been enlighted to the idea of a Panel, namely the PHD8. Im aware that this is a hi definition version of the PWD8, is that correct? Does this PHD8 need any sort of scaler to look its best, or will it do it, providing you buy the correct terminal boards, without a scaler?

Also, would this kind of panel suit my needs?

Im not interested in Sky HD, as im pretty happy with freeview, though i would buy the best PVR box i could afford at the time and upgrade from my current matsui offering. Speakers would also be taken care of, so the lack of built in speakers would not be an issue. I suppose having the XDE or the PV500 over a panel would mean if i didnt want to fire everything up, i.e. amp, speakers, i could quickly watch and listen to freeview (say for 10 mins before work or something).

Id hope, by the time i could afford the plasma, to get an amp with Hi-def switching, not necessarily any kind of up conversion (and hopefully no loss of quality!), so that i could just have the 1 cable going to the panel. The Yamaha 4600 seems pretty good for what it is, although i know a few people on here have had problems.

Would the screen be able to keep up with fast paced games through the Hi-Def methods of PS3 and XBOX 360? Im interested in both of these. DVD is the final piece of kit that i would use.

Ive not played a console on a plasma for a few years, and as i have a Tosh 36ZP38, which im really happy with, have not had to put up with motion blurring or any degradation due to high speed, but would this occur on any of the plasma's discussed?

Id really appreciate anyones input,

Cheers,

Matt

2. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Excellent question..as I am also looking at the PHD8 and how to get the best piccy from dvd and sky.. the whole scaler issue seems to escape me and the cost looks horrendous.. so hopefully someone will point us in the right direction :)

Matt

3. MattMcSpirit

MattMcSpirit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Fingers crossed mate!

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,523
    Hello both

The TH-42PWD8BK and TH-42PHD8BK share the same chassis and basic video architecture; after that they operate quite differently and the PHD models have historically out performed the PWD models.

The TH-42PHD8BK has Input options for most Consumer Devices and you can definitely use one without an external Video Processor - though adding a (configured and calibrated) Video Processor certainly allows you to eek out more performance from the pixel array.

The difference with/without the Video Processor is not subtle though it can be costly (£1K+) so isn't for everyone.

Best regards

Joe

5. MattMcSpirit

MattMcSpirit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Joe,

Thanks for the reply. So in your opinion, is the PHD8 a better quality picture for things like console gaming, or DVD, over the 436XDE and PV500, or would you say it would require that extra video processor (is that the same as a scaler?) to ensure optimum quality improvement over the other 2 plasmas?

How are today's plasmas in terms of fast moving games and DVD's? Do they struggle, or are they edging near the ability of CRT's to handle that kind of stuff?

Matt

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Well, when we've all seen the PHD8 and the 436XDE we might be in a better position to say! The PHD7 was noticeably 'better' when correctly connected, than a 435XDE, and Pioneer have gone to great lengths to redress the balance. Generally 'panel only' plasmas have always outperformed the equivalent TV model, which tend to come encumbered with all sorts of stuff you don't need that gets in the way. They also offer a smoother upgrade path, you can add the scaler later.

Today's plasma displays, with DVD and gaming are at least as good as the best CRT. Their weakest point is likely to be low bandwidth broadcast TV.

7. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    MAW - this sort of begs the question on what's going to happen to broadcast bitrates in the future...