1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic PHD8 buzz: can 52-54db be normal?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by skeletons, Oct 27, 2005.

1. skeletons

skeletons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, I know people have gone through the buzzing thing many times before, but it normally comes down to "I can hear it,well I can't" argument.

Now I know...
    ..that all plasmas buzz
    ..that some buzz more than others
    ..that HDs tend to buzz more than SDs

So I tested the volume of the buzzing, at 2am, with no ambient noise, with all the windows and doors shut, placing a sound meter (which AV Sales kindly sent me) behind the set to the right and....

It read 52db.

Now, in my opinion, 52db is loud. Yes, I know it came from the back of the set, and I don't sit with my ear at the back, but the reason I took the reading is that I can hear it while watching TV (from the front) from 10 feet away when the volume isn't roaring.

AV Sales say they've tested another set they've got and it comes to the same reading. So

1) Does anyone else have the same 42" PHD8 and know that it makes less noise than this? Or is 52db really standard?
    2) Not a question, but if it is standard, then for anyone looking to buy a PHD8, you'll be facing that volume of high pitched buzzing. If you can't hear it then good for you but it's definitely worth finding one in the metal and listening to it before you throw £2k+ at it.

Picture's good, though...

Thanks,

Simon

2. blackeyepurple

blackeyepurple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have no db meter but I know my first PHD8 was a lot more noisy than the second one I received in swap-out for the contrast issue (still not resolved). So I can safely say they do vary....and by quite a margin....my second one is silent from a 7.5 feet away seated position with no other noise in the room. The first unit was audible over low volume from my surround system and was instantly noticable if you walked into a silent room....my father who's 56 and has knackered hearing also commented on it. If I place my ear round the back of the new set there is a faint hum/buzz which is slightly louder on the right hand side rear than the left. The first one also had a couple of dud pixels so i'm glad I got it swapped. You may be unlucky though and get a louder one. :eek:

3. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Simon I have a PHD8 which I'm still hearing in the quiet (not silent, QUIET) moments. I also have an SPL, so I'll wait for a point in the day when the kids aren't adding their 100dB and report back.

I'm starting to buy into the theory that it's as much user sensitivity to sound at that pitch as it is volume of set... But wish I didn't have to!

4. tjradiohead

tjradiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Dont dispair, i disagree with this comment!

My Phd is almost silent. As a musician i have rather sensitive hearing, and buzzing is only audible from the back of the set. I sit pretty close to my phd, about 7ft, and i cant hear the buzzing, only very very miniscule fan noise. And i mean VERY miniscule.

Do you have an xbox? i ask because the fans on my crystal xbox are FAR louder than any fan noise/buzzing coming from the set.

5. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    I was starting to think it was my sensitivity rather than the actual volume of the buzz, but my father came round today and remarked upon it instantly (although I did deliberately put the set on without signal to illustrate the noise). on the other hand, I can hear my DVD player's motor in the very quiet moments, so it might just be me.

I'm getting used to it now. My analogy about it being like the engines on the USS Enterprise is bearing fruit (more a question of noticing when it's not there than vice versa).

Also, tjradiohead, if you play in a band, this has probably shot your hearing anyway. Most people I know in bands are more deaf than me! ;) :D

6. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Right, the results are in from my PHD8 & Radioshack analog SPL.

Test conditions:
    Panel on, set to VGA input, but no signal being received.

SPL meter set to 60dB scale, C weighting, fast response. Battery test showed nearly full charge (greater than +5)

Results:
    The power-up woosh, tested from the right hand side of the screen registered -4.
    After this, in normal operation mode, I went all the way around the back of the screen and at no point did the needle rise above -10dB (other than when I knocked the case against the wall). IE I got no 'reading' off the panel at any point.

I guess that means my panel is less than 50dB in operation (correct me if I'm wrong).

Maybe that means I'm a sensitive soul!

Let me know if I can help further...

7. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well.

I have previously found buzzing with the Panny a definite problem.

See the latter part of thread: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257736 :lesson:

BTW. get it swapped.

I managed to get a PWD5 that was effectively silent after a lot of messing about. I don't think they are all the same.

Gerald. :)

8. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
  9. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Mine is silent unless i put my ear next to the right hand side back, and then its definatly not 50db!

10. skeletons

skeletons

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Theo,

You need to check the sound with the setting on the soundmeter set to A: the C setting only focuses on the lower frequencies.

Thanks for the info, though.