Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Panasonic PHD/PWD8 on a budget...

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by qwiksilver, Sep 20, 2005.

1. qwiksilver

qwiksilver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My head is spinning. Within two weeks I have become a plasma expert and yet still don’t know what to do. I have just sent back a 42” plasma because it wasn’t HDTV as first suspected (852x480).

It appears that everyone in the industry loves the new Panasonic PWD8 & PHD8 models, but once you’ve costing in the AV boards looks expensive. With a budget of £1,500 and open to the idea of buying from Germany what is the way forward?

So far I’m thinking either:
    • Sharp Aquos LC37GA6E (1366x768) HDTV
    • Panasonic PHD8 (1024x768) HDTV
    • Panasonic PWD8 (852x480) EDTV

Questions:
    • Product for product which is better (don’t want a big Plasma Vs LCD battle here)?
    • On a £1,500 budget is the PHD8 or PWD8 feasible (keeping in mind I have Sky+, DVD & surround sound already)?
    • Could it be worth saving money by getting the old PHD7 or PWD7 models?
    • If the PHD (HD) is too expensive, would it be worth settling on the non-HD PWD or get something else which has HDTV (e.g. Sharp Aquos). Keep in mind I am really buying this for Sky HD and the new PlayStation 3 with 720p & 1080i outputs.

I am very open minded and would love any advice anyone is willing to through my way.

Thanks in advanced.

2. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    LCD v Plasma seems to be a question of taste / technology preference. I prefer plasmas so can't comment on the Sharp

What sort of distance are you likely to be viewing the screen. I read someone saying that from over 15' away many people could not tell the PWD from the PHD, so this may be a saving grace.

I think the PWD should come in for about the sort of money you're looking for.

3. qwiksilver

qwiksilver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    About 10ft away.. although can be within 5ft when playing games.

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    For £1500 you could get the PW8 with the boards needed, bracket or stand and delivered.

Have a look at the special offers section of this forum.

5. Sparky101

Sparky101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Why don't you just wait 6-12 months until Sky HD and the PS3 are actually with us and then shop around? You're looking at plasmas which have only just come out/aren't even out yet and wanting to buy them on a tight budget. Wait 6 months, save up some more money and then see what your options are.

6. qwiksilver

qwiksilver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replys guys

Gizlaroc: I will check out the offers section.

Sparky101: I'm so sure you're right but I'm itching badly right now for this, plus have just bought Sky+ full package with a Prem+ season ticket. This is what I want it for, dispite my long term view of HD and PS3.

7. qwiksilver

qwiksilver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0