Panasonic PH9 with ISCAN V30 v Fuji P42XHA58EB

Mogli

Hello all,

I am looking at the above options and am curious to know what you guys think? I understand both screens are well rated with the Fuji taking most peoples reccomendations. I am curious whether a dedicated scaler such as the Iscan v30 would make the PH9 a better option.

Would appreciate your views :)

Thanks,

Mog

choddo2006

Novice Member
I think this same question was asked in the scaler forum on avs. General consensus was that the AVM2 processing in the Fuji had advantages above the job an external scaler can do (in terms of controlling the discharge electronics directly) but also wasn't as good in some areas so it's very hard to predict and would probably be subjective too.

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
The VP30 (with ABT102, without is pretty pointless exercise) will in terms of raw processing do better with SD material than AVM-II will. It has as good, if not better diagonal processing, and does have better film detection. However for HD the VP30 does nothing impressive, the AVM-II willl far outperform it. You would need a Lumagen or a VP50 to improve, and with these better processors you get more adjustment tools over what the Fuji has - such as y/c adjustment, gamma adjustment, CUE correction etc.

However, this is purely in video processing terms. The Fujitsu physically, in terms of contrast, black levels, colour accuracy etc is the cleaner model. Based on the same panel, yes, but so is every DLP projector on the market yet the differences between models can be enormous. The Fuji seems cleaner and less colour errors, is better built and more reliable, and looks the nuts! You also get better control over the image imo. Big price difference appreciated, but it is the best panel on the market today. Fujitsu with a HD video processor is then the killer combination!!

gpa

Banned
Hello all,

I am looking at the above options and am curious to know what you guys think? I understand both screens are well rated with the Fuji taking most peoples recommendations. I am curious whether a dedicated scaler such as the Iscan v30 would make the PH9 a better option.

Would appreciate your views :)

Thanks,

Mog

I've been mulling over this for some time, The commercial pannys are mighty fine displays, my gut f feeling is that a PH8/9 with say a VP50 would take some beating and comes in at a similar cost to the 58 series on its own. I have not seen this combo, but would be interested in seeing the results, I am sure there is a retailer out there that could set up a test like this and report their findings, i can then go and spend some more money LOL.

In reality both options would give pretty stunning results for similar cost.

Mogli

Thanks guys your responses are much appreciated :thumbsup: . I think a demo may be the best option. My main concern is atm i only have one HD source (xbox 360) and i was concerned about the image quality from my other sources (DVD Arcam DV89 , PS2 and Sky+). Therefore i was thinking an external scaler would do a better job then the AVM in the Fuji. I definitely cannot stretch to a VP50 plus screen!

Hmmmm choices choices

choddo2006

Novice Member
If you only have the xbox360 then get the Panny (on which the xbox looks awesome @720p or [email protected]) and use a vp30&abt102 for its fantastic SD processing then upgrade to the vp50 later on when you have more cash ... then upgrade to a 1080p panel later on ;)

Mogli

All,

Thanks guys i think i am leaning towards the Fujitsu tbh, i just need some advice on the best connection methods for my multiple sources.

I currently have:

Arcam DV89: Component
Sky+: Flexible
XBOX 360: I assume component but i am intrigued by the VGA option?
PS2: Flexible

Now in terms of getting the best quality from each source what would you reccomend? I understand the Fuji has two component inputs, a VGA and Svideo. I had initially planned to use the component on the DVD and 360 to the panel. With the Sky+ utilising Svideo. I had heard the Fuji does an alright job with a Svideo connection and thought to use that. But then i hear about RGB to Component switchers offering improvement...along with RGB to VGA. Would it a better idea to use the VGA from the 360? Then use a RGB-component switcher and plug both the PS2 and SKY+ into that (is it possible to connect two sources?)?

Sorry guys lots of questions...but i am confused :confused: and need help!

If i do go for the Fuji i cant budget for a VP for a while just yet.

Cheers,

Hus

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
Before investing in a converter, consider if you will upgrade to either a VP or Sky HD anytime soon. Both would render a converter useless.

However, s-video is good, but something that uses the RGB scart output is better.

Mogli

Thanks again, i dont plan on investing in Sky HD just yet tbh, not till there are more channels available. Once there is more choice i will be more inclined to upgrade.

Would it be worth my while to get hold of sky hd box seperately...I am sure you can get them without a sky hd sub. I could then benefit from the HDMI feed? Or if necessary get a VGA cable for the 360 and free up a component connection.

I expect to purchase a VP at some point but not for about 6 months imo.

sdb123

Distinguished Member
Mogli, do you have or are you planning to get a separate amp at all? If so, you could use component switching on that. Failing that the 360 by VGA would probably be the way to go.

Mogli

i currently a Pioneer VSX2011 AMP (a good few years old now)...which iirc will only output what i feed in. As in I dont think it will output the SVIDEO etc via the component. Tis a shame as its a great piece of kit and sounds great.