Panasonic PH42PV500 or TH42PE50?

B

billym

Looking for some advice, I'm new to this game and finally persuaded my wife to upgrade from our ageing sony 28" CRT.

From reviewing the web and various magazines the Panasonics seems to get the best reviews and aesthetically look the best. I've had a look at both the PV500 and PE50 and don't really notice that much difference in picture quality between the two for non HD inputs.

The PV500 looks the better unit of the two however I'm not sure I could justify the additional outlay as I'm unlikely to use the HD for Sky in the future; we just use Freeview at present as don't watch TV that much, mainly DVDs. Also, I've read some posts regarding problems with the PV500 which makes me a bit wary too.

So, a few questions I'd like your expert view on:

1. Are there any reported issues with the PE50?
2. Of the two Panasonics, what's the best value for money for me?
3. I'm in central scotland (access to Glasgow and Edinburgh), how would I go about getting the cheapest price with the cabinet stand (I'd prefer to match with JLP if possible and get the benefit of their 5 year guarantee)

Thanks in advance for your help.

You are in exactly the same position as me. I have been looking at both of these sets with their cabinet stands.

I don't see any logic to opt for an early generation HD ready plasma when it won't get used for that purpose. I couldn't spot any difference on normal TV and DVD, so will be opting for the PE50. I'll happily pocket the difference, and spend it in a years+ time when there is more HD choice, in both panels and material. :)

I looked at the two sets side by side, and as most people agree, an SD signal looks very similar on both (IMO the PE50 edged it slightly) but obviously when you see the Hi-def material being played the PV500 looks a world apart.

However, I just can't see the number of broadcasts being enough, the initial high costs of both the equipment and subscription and the newness of the technology all put me off. I think the equivalent set in a years time will be £1k cheaper and alround a better performer, and there'll actually be something to watch!

I'm with you chrisw saw them both side by side on Sunday, both wired identically with sky and dvd (non HD) - I could not see any difference. In fact to be really picky the PE50 was minimally better to my eyes on both sources. Didnt see HD, but by the time it is reasonably priced and there is enough content, I will probably look to change then - 3yrs?
Billy M -Dont take my word see for your self, I am now convinced on PE50 for 3yrs but before it was HD or nothing.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom