1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic PH40

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Papa Smurf, Oct 25, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Papa Smurf

Papa Smurf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is my first time - so be gentle with me. I've never had a widescreen before !!!

:blush:

I've been thinking about getting a PH40 for a few weeks now (£1219 inc. 5 yr warranty from HiSpek). You probably all know its got component video inputs, prog scan, twin tuners etc ... However, I was unimpressed with the review of it in this month's HCC. Balming poor picture quality for its 3.5 star rating.

btw, what exactly do they mean by frequency response detail up to 4.8 MHz ???

Also, according to the Comet website, it only has a picture quality grading of C.

I've searched through this forum, and some people have had problems with it (Moire effects), and some haven't - were they 'lucky' ? ... or should I look at other models (FQ80) ???

2. old stoneface

old stoneface

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Just been reviewed in the Nov. issue of Home Entertainment;

Panasonic TX-32PH40 (5 Stars),
    "The Panasonic is a perfect example of getting what you pay for.Picture quality is outstanding,sound performance is good and it's feature packed.What more could you ask for?"

3. Papa Smurf

Papa Smurf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that, Old Stoneface. I'll check the review out asap. This is going to confuse me even more now ...

4. old stoneface

old stoneface

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    No problem,just got my new telly from Hispek,Toshiba 32ZD26P.This also has component inputs (NTSC only),might be worth adding to your list of TV's

5. Big_AL007

Big_AL007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. Papa Smurf

Papa Smurf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I don't understand the need for a separate box - I thought this model had a multi-window facility which could display pic-in-pic etc ...

btw, can the teletext store pages, so that I don't have to wait ages for a particular page to cycle round ?

7. Big_AL007

Big_AL007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was refering to a digital tuner, for digital terestial broadcasts.
    It has got picture in picture.

8. Papa Smurf

Papa Smurf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doh !!! - silly me, I should've guessed.

Anyway, I still have a few questions about this machine

1/ can the teletext store pages ?

2/ How much improvement is prog scan ??

3/ does the DDM make much difference ???

9. Big_AL007

Big_AL007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    !) Not sure as I dont use the analogue tuner much, but I guess it will as it seems quite advanced.

2) This varies on whether it is a good transfer in the first place.
    On a great DVD like Monsters inc etc you will see an improvement but not as much as on a run of the mill transfer. I would say that as it dont cost a extra to get prog scan its suberb. You must have a compatibel player also.
    This is also a very good TV in my opinion anyway, as good if not better than anything else you will spend £1043 on.

3)It makes a differnece but I can not quantify it for you sorry.
    Overall I am very happy with the set.

10. Papa Smurf

Papa Smurf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Big_Al007. Think I might go for it. Question is though, should I get a 5 yr warranty with it - are they worth the paper they're written on ???

11. Big_AL007

Big_AL007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I heard somewhere recently, maybe on Watchdog, that the average TV takes at least 7 years to go wrong !!! that is not to say that it will go wrong in 7 years only that is the average.
    Personally I dont think extended warranties are worth it, and anyway you can get cover all policies direct from the insurance companies a lot cheaper.

Anecdote :
    I was about to purchase a new washing machine when I got the usual bull form the sales arsesistant about warranties, she could see I was not biting so she told me that it was "very" likely that it would go wrong inside 5 years infact when I pushed her she said it would definately go wrong !! , at which point I told her I would have no reason to buy something that was going to go wrong and walked out.....

hope this helps.

AL

12. Mungo

Mungo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Papa Smurf, will you let us know what you think of the PH40 if you do go and buy it? I am having the same thoughts as you, What Hi Fi and Home Entertainment think its great, bu HCC gives it an absolute caning. When you spend that sort of money reading a really negative review (particularly on picture quality) is worrying, but maybe they got a duff one. The problem is that if we get a duff one we have the hasle of trying to prove its faulty etc, and you can't exactly put it in a bag and take it back so easily.

Trouble is it looks great, has massive features and component inputs. So maybe the risk is worth it.

13. fuzzy

fuzzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi

ive had a ph40 for a couple of months and the reviews (yes Ive read them all!) are confusing...my opinions on pic quality

rf analogue :(
    dvd:D
    rgb from digibox:D
    game cube:) but with 60hz enabled games and pal prog engaged :D :D

I havent got any r1 discs so dont know about prog scan with ntsc R1 dvd's. My next purchase will be a pal prog player when finances allow. If the improvement is anything like the game cube pic it should be good as I think the dvd pic at the moment is pretty good (SONY DVP NS700V). I must admit that I don't really rate the analogue rf input and therefore don't use it very much. I have not seen any moire but maybe that's only with ntsc. hope this helps you.

14. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    If you order from bennetts and they offer you an open box one for a bit less refuse it, it is probably the one i returned due to bad moire effects with prog. scan.

I paid £940 for it from there with 12 onths interest free and personally didnt think it was as good as my philps silver shadow, (same as cool blue and cool green models that were also out) I have had for 2 years.

even my wife said the picture was not as good, her description, "it looks like the tv cant draw the picture fast enough"
    she was talking about digital processing.

after setting it up with avia however the picture was pretty good, but they were the strangest settings I have ever had for a tv.

search the forum for the post on it, contrats was about 22% colour 65% etc.

but it didnt matter what you did the tv just could not resolve fine detail on the avia disc.

here is a picture of the moire effects

http://www.probably-here.co.uk/panny.JPG

that is about 1/4 of the screen, notice the lines on the right sweeping over in an arc accross the screen.

A few people seem to have had this problem while others have had no problems at all.

I called Panasonic and spoke to an engineer, he said that it depended on what tube and chassis was used on the set, and if the moire effects were there, they wold always be there.

one other thing, depending what chassis is used some models do not have a just mode, like sonys smart mode, toshibas super live and philips super zoom.
    This may not be a problem but you do have to watch it in 4:3 or 16:9 which put me off a bit.
    and the auto format is awful it switched about 30 times in one show :(

I am not trying to put you off as people have had great results but when spending a grand you should be aware of these problems.

Someone on here, cant remember who, who had the ph40 advised me to get the tosh, says alot really.

15. Mungo

Mungo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the subject of whether the extended warranty is worthwhile, it is worth remembering that John lewis do a 5 year warranty on all TVs. They also do a price match (I've got them to reduce things before so it really works) but not against online retailers.

So you have to add up:

1. 5year warranty free plus someone to actually moan at face to face; against

2. Lower price (unless you add in a 5 year warranty which can be £250 or so) plus potential for aggro if the thing is wrong when delivered or goes wrong later.

While I have been lucky and never had a TV go wrong when spending serious dough I like to have some peace of mind. Personally I would probably go to JL because you get that 5 year warranty, and the price match means I don't really have to worry about whether Comet etc do it for less, plus I can go and be Mr Angry in person if its broke.

16. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    Bennetts have a store with the PH40 at the same price as online.

so you can do a price match at JL.

17. Papa Smurf

Papa Smurf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all of your feedback folks. This weekend I went to Comet & Currys to try to check the PH40 out, and also to compare it with other makes - and this is what I thought of it :

The picture in both stores was via a boosted rf signal which is fed to all the tv's in the store, so the quality of the image wasn't brilliant. However, it stood right next to a Pixel+ Philips TV (9617 I think) which had a far superior and stable image - it looked so smooth but not as sharp as the PH40.

In the other shop it was in between a tosh ZP18Q and a sony DX100. Again, due to the rf signal the pictire quality wasn't great (similar to the tosh). The DX100 had a beautiful picture - but I guess this was due to the digital decoder.

I did notice that the top/bottom of the image was cropped. This was cured by selecting 16:9 mode - but then you have the thin black horizontal bars top & bottom (the tosh was already set to this mode). However, the DX100 was displaying the same picture using the full screen - without cropping the image. I did try all the options on the panny's remote, but couldn't get it to display like the sony.

Wasn't that impressed with the DDM processing - it hardly made any difference.

I asked one of the assistants to hook it up to a dvd player - which he did - but the picture was atrocious (black & white, tons of interference) - I didn't have time to see if it was due to the dvd player, PH40 or RGB cable.

I was impressed with the pic-in-pic facility (one of the reasons I'm considering this model), and its ability to store teletext pages, but I need to test this machine with a dvd before I make any decisions - I'll definitely try again next weekend.

18. Big_AL007

Big_AL007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The last TV I had was the DX100 and yes it is due to the digital decoder that the aspect ratio was correct, I would suggest that the other's were in analogue and so will not display widescreen broadcasts properly.
    The reason the dvd gave such a bad picture was due to the fact that it was set to the wrong output in the setup.
    Having owned both the DX100 and the PH40 I have to say I prefer the panny, I did not expect this as I thought the Sony was brilliant when I got it, especially the digital tuner.
    I will be selling the DX100 soon if anyones interested.

Cant comment on the philips.

As I think I have already stated, my reason for buying the panny was its PAL & NTSC prog scan capabilities which make it great for my dvd'd, untilI get a PJ that is :D

19. Mungo

Mungo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    gizlaroc

Is that the Bennetts on King St in Norwich (I haven't been back to Norwich for a while but may be up there over Xmas- there used to be a sort of out of town type superstore on the road that runs down to the Ferrry Boat Inn).

I have looked at the PH 40 a few times in verious stores, and in almost every instance the picture seems inferior to me than models around it. This cannot be a coincidence? I know they have dodgy aerials and feeds in these places but they should affect all TVs equally. Shame, I want PiP too and component video and progressive scan but I don't think there's another model on the market with all 3. Panasonic's digital processing consistently gets criticised, so I may wait and see what other makers bring out. I don't really like Sony as I have found much of their stuff overpriced for what you get.

20. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    it is the same place, but they have moved to Hall Road, next to the roundabout near the Hewitt school.

21. Mungo

Mungo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, thanks. I'll check it out when I'm up there next (then order from JL to get that 5 year warranty!!!0