1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic PG50/30 geometry, how to sort it

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by mandlebrot, May 16, 2002.

1. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I have a Panasonic 32inch PG30 (Nicam ver of PG50) and have some geometry problems. The top of the picture has a slight curve downwards from left to right and the bottom right corner of the picture bends down. I know how to get into the service menu and have played with most of the setting none of which seem to have an effect on the above problems.

Can the problems I have be corrected or is it just a case of all widescreens have these problems and can't be sorted?

I know from reading this forum that most people seem to have geometry problems but just wondered if these can be put right.

I have also noticed that the picture seems to get bigger in places where a bright graphic appears on screen but think this is a common power supply stabilization error that most TV's suffer from. This is most noticable when showing 4X3 and 14X9 material when I can see the edges have a wibble to them. I am not expecting to sort this last problem out but thought I'd mention it anyway.

Thks

2. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    You will need to access the service menu for the geo fixes. If you do this make sure ANY changes you make are written down so if you wonk out the screen you will know what to revert to. And goodness sake DON'T adjust anything you don't know of - not patronising here but people have killed sets with that one extra tweak, or I wonder what that does!
    I had a 36pg50 and it is easy to just do geo stuff. So do this:

Bass to max
    treble to min
    hold down "index"
    press "-" (minus) on the front of the set.
    this will get you into the service menu.(it will default to 16:9 mode makes things a bit tricky for 4:3 geometry but it is possible)
    coloured fastext buttons on the remote navigate left to right they are: back/forward/adjust up/adjust down : last two might be reversed but you get the idea.
    "STR" saves new value: if you modify a setting and don't press this then the value will go back to its previous value when you move out of it.
    "N" gets you out of the service menu.
    settings are :
    H-pos (horizontal position)
    V-pos (vertical position)
    H-amp (horizontal amplitude)
    V-amp (vertical amplitude)
    EW-amp1(EW-amplitude coarse pincushion looks like)
    EW-amp2(EW-amplitude finer/corners looks like)
    Trapez1(Trapezium comp_ suck it and see!)
    Trapez2(finer of the above suck it and see!)
    V-lin (vertical linearity)
    V-sym (vertical symmetry used with above to sort... vertical linearity !)

[ripped from MR D post.]

3. qfk123

qfk123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    i have a panny 32pl4, the tv is perfect apart from the picture being pushed in slightly from the top, i have access the the service menu and have tried adjusting the settings ,but nothing seems to get rid of the problem( and yes i wrote down all the original settings)

best way to describe the problem is think of the screen being a piece of rubber and someone has pressed their finger slightly into the screen from about 1/3 from top and from middle. so the picture is slightly curved inward.

Any help from a expert Panny person

4. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    sounds like pincushion or trapezoid needs a play with.

5. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    encaser

Has I said I know how to get into service menu and have played with some of the settings (the ones I knew). I don't have some of the options you describe but have others that may or not be equivelents. I list all my options below, maybe you or someone else can tell me which option is the one I need to change.

I have:-

H-Pos = Horizantal Position
    V-Pos = Vertical Position
    H-Amp = Horizontal Ampitude
    V-Amp = Vertical Ampitude
    Parabola
    Trapezoid
    Horizontal Parallel
    Vertical Linearity
    Top Corner
    Bottom Corner
    V-S-Correct = Vertical Symmetry Correction
    Center Correction
    DAF - Phase
    Highlight
    Lowlight
    Sub-Brightness
    SPL. Gain = Splitter Gain (Tuner)

Now I guess the dangerous one's would be the DAF Phase & SPL. Gain, I can also guess that Highlight, Lowlight & Sub-Brightness are all about brightness/contrast so don't think I need to bother with those. I know that Parabola is to sort curves on the left/right and think Trapezoid is for sorting angles/slopes on left/right if my memory serves me correctly. I also tried some of the others but none I've tried seem to effect top/bottom curves or bends.

Any more ideas?

6. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can any one give any more help on this?

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the bending downards is 'straight' (i.e. diagonal slopoing lines on the top and bottom) it sounds like this particular problem needs a tilt correction. If your TV has a tilt correction function (aka rotation), then you will usually find it in the user menu. Certainly, from the parameters you have listed, I don't see anything which looks like it could correct this problem. Have you looked in the normal user menu for a tilt function? I am not familiar with this set however. But certainly, if there isn't one in the user menu, then if you called an engineer out, they will be able to adjust this for you via the yoke at the back of the CRT.

If by "bending down" you mean that you have curved horizontal lines, e.g. that slope downwards at the end, then this cannot be rectified by the service menu. Horizontal geometry problems such as these require engineer work inside the set unfortunately.

You might find the following links useful - although they are for Sony TVs primarily, I have found parallels with other sets.

http://www.kv32tweak.freeuk.com/servicemenu/index.html

The bits you want are Deflection and Ext Deflection which you need to select from the menu on the right. The good thing about this site is it shows you pictures for most of the functions.

Seriously though, and I hope this doesn't sound patronising, but if you're unsure what you are doing, it really is best to call in an engineer - it only takes the adjustment of one wrong item to screw your set (sometimes permanently). I read somewhere about one guy that turned on the 100Hz option on a 50Hz set by accident ("I wonder what this does") and the TV was written off as a result :eek: I also know a friend of a friend that managed to reset the entire service menu on his 36" Hitachi.

Anyway, good luck :)

8. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Squirrel God

It looks like I need Horizontal Trapezium for 1 of the problems, but don't have that in my menu. That would still leave the other problem of the curved horizontal at the top.

I don't want to get an engineer out even though the TV is in warranty because the engineers that the retailer sends out don't seem any good, the one's that have been out in the past didn't even know out to get in the service menu.

Hows that to inspire confidence, makes me scared to let them anywhere near my TV!

9. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have only ever seen that in Sony service menus (although I'm sure there must be other makes that have it too).

10. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    There's one called East-West Trapezium on Philips tellys (I'm assuming it applies the same kind of adjustment).