1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic PG30 saga continues

Discussion in 'TVs' started by se_warner, May 18, 2001.

Tags:
  1. se_warner

se_warner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought that I'd start this thread as others about the PG30 are getting long.

My dealer has had an engineer from Panasonic (in Bracknell)look at my original PG30 plus the display one in the shop. The engineer informed him that both tv's needed setting up properly. Apparently the man had the back off the tv and tweeked the inside using some form of test pattern for the setup. He admitted that the geometry had needed correcting and the centre was out of focus. I am unsure about the shaddowy bands. I briefly saw my original set afterwards and I am not sure if he has fixed the latter problem.

What is interesting is that the engineer told my dealer that the way these sets are setup in the factory is that the picture is somehow scanned and the adjustments automatically done from that. Now this poses a question, is there a problem with Panasonic's QA as I am now aware of three of these sets with problems????

The engineer has offered to come to my house and setup my PG30 set for me and I am waiting his call. This may be the golden opportunity to get to the bottom of these problems!!

I will keep you updated.

Steve

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a PG30 and it's fine. The dealer set it up before shipping and I have to say it's spot on. Straight picture, no lines or shadows and an excellent picture. i'm sure it can be done if they know what they're doing when it's all set up. I was worried as I live on IOM and I bought it across in UK, but so far so good. I think (and hope)that they're decent tv's. So far on terrestial, DVD and Sky it's all good. Wish you luck.. lock him in till he gets it right!!

3. Frustin

Frustin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    who was your dealer?

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought it from Peter Tyson in Carlisle delivered to the Isle of Man by courier at £1270. www.petertyson.co.uk. Contact Gary Irving.

5. se_warner

se_warner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the tv from a company called Jumbo who have shops in the SE England but also sell via the Internet. To be fair to the dealer they have been good to date but I still await the outcome of the Panasonic engineer. Their url is http://www.jumboe.com

Steve

6. Nick Drew

Nick Drew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Somebody kindly mailed me Panasonics response on the NTSC moire patterning problem and I cut and paste the relevant section from Pannys response below:
    "Fanning lines: This is caused by pixel offset between NTSC mode and the dot
    pitch of the PAL shadow mask. Make sure that the geometry is set perfectly with
    a screen overlay pattern. This will minimise these effects in my experience, and
    I do have considerable experience along these lines. You or rather your supplier/dealer/engineer needs a signal generator that marks
    the edge of the visible screen. I use a Philips pattern generator that has this
    option. The white rectangle it generates should be a perfect fit on the screen.
    Usually it is not. Simply adjust the height, width, trapezium, east-west etc for
    a near perfect fit. If the picture is slightly rotated adjust this first from
    the user menus ( F button in the flap )."
    In other words it is a geometry problem!
    About time they got people on the production line to know what they are doing and take more care when setting up somthing that they charge a lot of money for. I have seen a few posts where people claim to have fixed moire patterning problems themselves by tweaking the geometry but I wonder if anyone can give me more advice regarding this.
    Engineer comments anyone - Mr D or General Skanky???

[ 19-05-2001: Message edited by: Nick Drew ]

7. se_warner

se_warner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had the Panasonic man here on Wednesday. Super guy who really knew what he was talking about (Nick he wrote your article above). Using a pattern generator you could see that the geometry was way out plus the centre was out of focus (same problems as found on the two tvs in my dealers). By taking the back off he fixed the focus and the geometry was fixed via the service menu. That's the good news.

The problems with the black shaddows and the NTSC moire problem could not be fixed (the moire problem is not the same as the engineer fixed in his solution above). The shaddows show up really badly if you put out a solid grey background using his generator. The engineer is now passing these problems back to the plant plus he is going to try and replicate and fix them in his labs.

This could now go one of two ways, either the plant fix the problems or they don't bother on the basis that no-one else has been reporting them. I could do with help on this in the way of more evidence. Is anybody else having these problems??? I have seen the shaddows on every pg30 that I have looked at. I like the tv so I would rather have it fixed than change it for a different model. Any information collected will be passed on to the engineer.

Thanks
    Steve

8. Brian Storm

Brian Storm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The engineer who visited you at Sandhurst is Gerald Gutteridge he has worked at Panasonic for about twenty years and is a technical lecturer/trainer and senior technician.
    He is always extremely helpful and in my experience knows more about Panasonic products than anyone in Europe! If the problem can be sorted he will sort it!

9. Colger

Colger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will be very interested to hear how you get on Stephen - I have been in contact with Gerald Gutteridge complaining about various problems with my 32PG50. He is aware that this is my 3rd Panasonic in 12 months - Ive had problems with 32PF10, 32PK20 and now the 32PG50. In between I had a couple of Sony 32FX60's - the second one lasted about 5 months before the tube went.
    Unfortunately I am in S.Devon and like many contacts on here, do not trust Service personnel as I have experience of a set being returned worse than when it was taken away 4 weeks previously.
    If only Gerald lived closer to me - perhaps he should persuade Panasonic to allow him a couple of weeks to travel the country setting these sets up to specification.

10. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    I too have had dealings with Gerald in the past and he has been the sole useful contact at Panasonic.

I suspect panasonic are using some sort of image analysis system to auto-calibrate the sets at the factory however I also suspect some of the most widely reported problems are down to tube construction tolerances being a bit sloppy ( I've replied to this in the moire thread) the auto-calibration contraption isn't a big deal as you can always improve the set-up as long as the set is mechanically sound. The fact that some of these issues couldn't be rectified by an experienced set-up engineer point to possible structural concerns with the tubes.