Panasonic PF vs Pioneer KURO?

P

Peabo

I'm very eager to pick up a 50" 1080p set to replace my aging PWD6, but I'm not sure whether I should wait for Panasonic's PF10 or just buy a Pioneer LX508D KURO. Will the PF10 just be based on the current 10G Viera technology, or will it be much better? As far as I know the KUROs are superior to the current Vieras and possibly also the PF9.

What are people's opinions on this?

Yes its a 10g panel.

Difficult one to answer but the Viera PZ's are not clever unless you put a pure 1080p signal in and the tv does no scalling.

Until Panasonic launch their answer to the Kuro next springish, there is nothing close to Pio right now. Saying that, once Panny lauch their fisrt gen response Pio will just about be ready to lauch the 9g second gen sets and so it goes on.

Think you will find the kuro will be stunning.

Just enjoy your 'cult' status pw6 for a little while longer...
I upgraded from a 6 pw series Panny to a ph9 and to be honest...the differences are not that great imo.

No way I'm getting rid of my beloved PWD6 though, it's just going in a different room :)

If the KURO is really that much better than Panasonic's 10G offerings then I might just go for that. I already waited a while for this, I just want to get the best 1080p set available at the moment.

Unless of course there is something new to expect from the 50PF10?

I think they'll start selling pioneer lx508d next week. As far as I know there are no reviews yet (not sure though)

The PF10 isn't out yet, but it will be the successor to the PF9 which is Panasonic's full HD panel. The PH10 has been out for a while and is the 720p variant.

The PF is a splendid panel, IMHO more natural and cinematic than any Pioneer I've yet seen, but I'm seeing a new 1080p pioneer week after next, so I'm willing to stand corrected. I have a soft spot for Panny commercial panels in any case, I like the minialist appearance, and the flexibility of inputs. I loved my wireless board in my 42, and it's ability to take 1080p on component from the 360. The PF is totally wow with a processor, a role to which it's perfectly suited, and the price is good now, it'll be way way cheaper than the Pio, not much more than you paid for the PW6 I daresay!! It's a tough call.

Ok, I shall wait until I've heard your opinion, MAW! Please let me know how it looks.

Are the 1080p panasonic panels bad with SD stuff like the vieras?

The processing is far cleaner on the PH/PF than the vieras, lord alone knows what they've done to vieras these days.

And would you happen to know anything about the PF10 that's coming out soon? Will it just be like a PH10 but 1080p?

I don't have one (I've just been coveting one for ages), but as I understand it in addition to the improved resolution the PF range has far better software, especially if you use it with an offboard processor.

Tim

The better software with processors is simply a pixel for pixel mode, saves 20 mins of pratting about. Point remote, press button, get on with setting up scaler/ panel calibration. The menus are exactly the same as other Panasonic panels otherwise, though it's obvious there is a more powerful processor in there. I'm not the worlds biggest fan of 1080p panels, there is no need in the case of little LCDs. Not to mention that putting that number of pixels on a screen is just irresponsible if not backed up with decent processing! 50" and larger, and at the 3m or less viewing distances some folks have, and it begins to make more sense. Using the pixel for pixel mode with say, skyHD results in those twittery bits of edge lines showing, which is why I reckon a processor is the way to go. Even HD DVD shows dodgy edges from time to time.

I don't have an external processor. I do have a viewing distance of under 3m though.

The better software with processors is simply a pixel for pixel mode, saves 20 mins of pratting about. Point remote, press button, get on with setting up scaler/ panel calibration. The menus are exactly the same as other Panasonic panels otherwise, though it's obvious there is a more powerful processor in there. I'm not the worlds biggest fan of 1080p panels, there is no need in the case of little LCDs. Not to mention that putting that number of pixels on a screen is just irresponsible if not backed up with decent processing! 50" and larger, and at the 3m or less viewing distances some folks have, and it begins to make more sense. Using the pixel for pixel mode with say, skyHD results in those twittery bits of edge lines showing, which is why I reckon a processor is the way to go. Even HD DVD shows dodgy edges from time to time.

I should have said pixel for pixel mode - I was reading the brochure last night. To be honest even with the PHD8 it is pretty easy to pixel match to a test pattern. The trick is to use the service menu rather than the user menu. All you have to do is centre the pattern on the screen, the height and width are bang on out of the box.

Have you compared the 60" Kuro to the 65" PF9? I've got a Radiance now so there shouldn't be an issue with de-interlacing artefacts. I'm just wondering whether to go for an end of line PF9, wait for a PF10 or look at the Pioneer 1080P panels in September.

While 768 lines are fine on the 50" panel, and from my seating position I can't see any pixels, the big advantage of the PF series over the PHD is that they can take native res at 60 and most importantly at 50Hz. I've read of one guy who appears to have 24P working at 48Hz with a VP50. Let's hope that Lumagen can do the same with both the Vision and Radiance series.

I 100% endorse your recommendation for a video processor especially with larger panels. Though still referred to as scalers modern VPs do a whole lot more than just de-interlacing and scaling. Greyscale calibration, colour management software, artefact reduction and improved compatibility are a few features that spring immediately to mind.

Tim

Do Pioneer Kuro Full HD eg. (PDP-LX608D & PDP-LX6080D) accept native resolution (1080p) at 50Hz?
Can anyone explain which is now king when using with a scaler Panny series 10 or Pioneer 8G Kuro?

Both accept 1080 at 50Hz, both can be pixel mapped. After that, IMHO there's not a lot in it with a processor, the picture is very similar. Pioneer's styling does it for some people, it's quite a bit more expensive, and if using a processor, a fair bit of this is on electronics you are not really using.

I don't have an external processor. I do have a viewing distance of under 3m though.

Why would you need a processor! :confused:
You've got a LX,mate.................don't need it. :)

Do Pioneer Kuro Full HD eg. (PDP-LX608D & PDP-LX6080D) accept native resolution (1080p) at 50Hz?
Can anyone explain which is now king when using with a scaler Panny series 10 or Pioneer 8G Kuro?

There are differences with Pioneer and Panasonic glass on a purely colour and greyscale basis. I think it will come down to taste and the job itself. The Pioneer handles bright rooms better, but I also reckon the Panasonic has the deeper contrast image overall which really shines when the lights are turned down and you are sitting down to a good movie. If you have a projector in the same room then I generally lean to the Pioneer, if the plasma is going to be the movie watching screen as well as general TV use then it has to be a Panasonic (or even better a Fuji) because I think it has the more filmic, CRT like almost, picture.

As I said tho, it also comes down to taste and the above is mine (and a lot of other industry professionals I must add). For some it's the Pioneer on all counts, preferring the brighter image that jumps out at you. Me, I prefer to be sucked in by a Panasonic.

For some it's the Pioneer on all counts, preferring the brighter image that jumps out at you.

Instinctively I tend to favour a bright picture.Does your observation apply only to the models being discussed or in general to Pioneer and Panasonic plasmas?

There are differences with Pioneer and Panasonic glass on a purely colour and greyscale basis. I think it will come down to taste and the job itself. The Pioneer handles bright rooms better, but I also reckon the Panasonic has the deeper contrast image overall which really shines when the lights are turned down and you are sitting down to a good movie. If you have a projector in the same room then I generally lean to the Pioneer, if the plasma is going to be the movie watching screen as well as general TV use then it has to be a Panasonic (or even better a Fuji) because I think it has the more filmic, CRT like almost, picture.

As I said tho, it also comes down to taste and the above is mine (and a lot of other industry professionals I must add). For some it's the Pioneer on all counts, preferring the brighter image that jumps out at you. Me, I prefer to be sucked in by a Panasonic.

I wondered why I didn't take to the Pio 428XD, over a Panny PZ70. I was watching Thunderball (Bond) - I tried Freeview feed, and a Satellite component feed. Tried a few other films/progs too.
Despite the blacks, the Pio didn't feel right - not natural or cinematic. Is this the actual hardware or picture processing?
Would Liam and MAW care to comment?

IMHO viewing a black and white film (Film4) - Sailor of the King, The Hitachi 42" T series plasma, did it for me : far more natural and cinematic than Pio or Panny: these sets made the material look poor, not the case with CRT or on the Hitachi.

Is their picture processing for standard def. weak to make HD or DVD source look all the better?:D

The Hitachi is fairly close to CRT (I still have a Super Trinitron set), if you can live with average blacks.

The more I search for my dream panel, the harder it gets!:rotfl:
Keep jumping between Panny, Pio, now Hitachi.
Even more confusing when performance varies from one dealer to the next. Thought the PZ70 was the one, now I'm not so sure!:rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom