Quantcast

Panasonic PE50 Questions

Ruby

Just got my Panasonic 42PE50B delivered yesterday and have some questions I'm hoping you guys can help me with.

1) With the out-of-the-box settings, I noticed a lot of noise in dark areas of the picture, especially in the black bars of 2.35:1 films. I was able to get rid of this noise by reducing the brightness. Is this normal for plasmas?

2) I was watching Mike Bassett - England Manager and noticed a slight rainbow like effect in some scenes with a light wall in the background. Is this normal for plasmas?

However, despite the above, I'm very happy with this plasma. The picture is very good and I'm happy with the blacks - they hold up very well during dark viewing conditions. Having owned a Pioneer 506XDE for a couple of days, I've got to say that in my opinion the Panasonic's black levels (in dark viewing conditions) are much better than the Pioneer's. The Panasonic's black levels are almost as good as a CRT set.

As recommended on this forum, I have lowered the picture settings for the 200 hour run-in period. By my calculations, 200 hours will mean almost 2 months for me. It's going to be a long wait.

chrisw

I just left mine on for a few days in zoom 3 mode - so there are no static images on screen. Brightness & contrast are both down to about 40% of their maximum and are slowly creeping up.

I'd make sure it's not on dynamic mode (mines on cinema) in any of the inputs and also buy a decent set of connections - it really really makes a difference.

Ruby

chrisw,

Did you notice any noise in the black bars of any 2.35:1 movie with the out-of-the-box settings?

chrisw

I immediately changed them on the advice of almost everyone here, so no. I found that after 20 hours the tv was looking much better than after an hour or so. Now I'm a few hundred hours into it, it looks fantastic... so I think it may be a case of getting it run in and then using a DVE or at least a THX disc to calibrate it a bit more.

Top Bottom