1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic PD50 Faults/Problems Please

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by myersfan73, Sep 5, 2005.

Tags:
  1. myersfan73

myersfan73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +254
    I've asked for info on The Panasonic 36-PD50 before, but have recieved no info! So i'll take a leaf out of another forum members book. Any Information at all on this tv? :thumbsup:

2. Neiliboy

Neiliboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My only info on this is if you get a good one you're a very lucky man!

I've returned two pd50's and taking delivery of my Tosh 32zp46 tomorrow.

Neil

3. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    It seems that the PD50 is so similar to the PD30 that the same problems apply.

Please see the sticky at the top of this section.

4. myersfan73

myersfan73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +254
    Can you be more specific ?

5. Neiliboy

Neiliboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Ok I've had my Panny now (32") for about a month. The only current real issue I have is with my Sony Freeview box.

This for some odd reason gives faint flickery lines on bright backgrounds, such as white or the E4 bluey background. This is only common to the Sony box and there is no such problems from other connected gear.

Had some disscusions from Sony today and they say the fault may be down to aerial alignment as the Tuner in this box is very sensitive. Apparently just a few degrees out can cause problems. I've yet to check any of this out.

Another issue I have is with lighting. Some scenes seem to get saturated with light.

Ex. The Sun beaming into a building or peoples faces, same with man made lighting.

I don't think this is as bad when new but still something I feel needs sorting. Perhaps service menu adjustment.

Some say RGB is not good but I can tell you it has much better saturated and vibrant colours over S-Video. Perhaps it does seem a little sparse of detail in dark scenes of which S-video fairs better but you take your choice.

Personally though I have not had enough time to set it up 100% so read from it what you can. The set *may* become even better.

Otherwise I've not experienced any other problems. The set seems to *bed* in after a few weeks and starts to look better (a bit drab straight out of the box).

I know some people have experienced disasters with their sets but I have not.
    Neiliboy in particular has not been lucky with his refurbs so it may be best to steer clear from these.

All in all if your interested buy one from a retailer (shop) so you can return the unit without hassle should there be a problem. Hopefully using this route you will also stand a better chance of getting a good one, just my thought, not proven!

7. myersfan73

myersfan73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +254
    What about R1 dvd playback do you have issues with it, color glow at the bottom of the screen ?

8. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Nope never noticed anything serious with DVD all looks fine. Just popped in a region 1 DVD to check out anything nasty and glad to say nothing to report. This is using component.

One issue I have been noticing is the black level of this TV it seems very black! overall via external i/p's. Compared it to my Sony last night and while black level isn't really nearly as good the detail and accuracy of colouring look much better. The set just seems to resolve darker scenes much more clearly. This is one area I certainly now have some concerns. It may well be to do with the much blacker shade of the CRT when turned off.

Again I need to fiddle.

9. Neiliboy

Neiliboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek:

10. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    No none at all. You may need to adjust vertical height in the service menu, under some other heading I think like H-AMP maybe? can't remember, you'll soon see what does what.

The screen height (or positioning) seems to differ slightly from different sources so a little over adjustment is needed. Could of course just be geomagnetic correction adjustment required if it's not completley covering the entire bottom of screen.