Panasonic PD30 - Thoroughbred or Mule?

Emm

Standard Member
Reaction score
Is the Panasonic PD30 really that bad?

Having read this forum for the last couple of months, this model range seems to get a fair few negative comments.

But, is it a true reflection of the product?

I guess that the majority of people that are going to post here are those who have a fault, but what percentage of the total number sold do these 'sufferers' represent?

This is not meant to be an antatagonistic post, I want to draw an objectve, informed conclusion before spending

I bought my set 3 months ago and have been really pleased with it - have not had any of the faults reported elsewhere except a minor fault with NTSC material on the component input which I'm trying to fix at the moment. I would still recommend this set to anyone.

Hi,

I have had a PD30 32" set for four weeks and think it fab. So far I have seen no dirty screen or any other nasty that has been talked hereabouts.

My rooftop arial is very poor and the analog signal to the TV is not good, but with the Nokia 122?? somat freeview box it is miles better. New arial being installed this weekend so will improve things further.

Playing DVD's via a Denon 2200 using component out is to my eyes superb!

Happy punter here. Hope to stay that way :)

I heard that the component input is widescreen only. Is this true? It seems a bit limiting. What happens if you watch a 4:3 disc? Do you have to reconfigure the telly to use the SCART input instead?

Is this the case with all tellies with component inputs, or is the Panny the exception?

Yep, thats right - I've just checked with Shrek on R1 that comes with both 4:3 and 16:9 versions and the 4:3 version is stretched to fill the screen.You would have to connect with a scart cable as well so that you could alter the aspect ratio control on the TV to suit 4:3 material. I'm not sure if this is the case with all other TV's though.

Icarus,

Just got my 32PD30 today.

Coincidentally, I'm using it with a Denon DVD 2200 too.

I've noticed on progressive/component a slight 'moire' effect on the very right hand side of the screen in a 50mm wide vertical band. (not immediately noticeable but there).

Have you spotted this, or am I being picky........:(

I've noticed on progressive/component a slight 'moire' effect on the very right hand side of the screen in a 50mm wide vertical band. (not immediately noticeable but there).

Have you spotted this, or am I being picky........:(

I havn't seen that, I will take a look later - second thoughts, perhaps I shouldn't....:)

The white bar on the right hand side is a standard "feature" on the Pal PS set up of the PD30. It is easily fixed by changing the H-POS values in the service menu - see the sticky for details. Don't let this put you off.

Emm,

i've read the linked post above, and to me it describes the white bar problem. I suppose technically the bar isn't white, nor an exact straight line bar - but it is as far as I can tell the same problem. It's a shimmering vertical band (or moire effect, as you call it) about 2-3cm (sometimes more, sometimes less depending on how much you need to adjust H-POS) from the RHS of the screen.

Hope that helps

shawkins002,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I realise that it's hard to convey what's actually observed by words alone; it would seem that myself and others could well be seeing what you describe (except the lines on mine don't 'shimmer' - they're static).

On closer scrutiny, these lines are present under the following scenarios:

DVD, PAL progressive - component
Present and noticeable from viewing seat

DVD, NTSC progressive - component
Present but virtually unseen (really have to look for it)

DVD, PAL interlaced - component
100Hz: Not noticed
100Hz+: Present and noticeable from viewing seat
75/883i: Not noticed
Progressive: Present and noticeable from viewing seat

Freeview - RGB - AV1
100Hz: Not noticed
100Hz+: Present and noticeable from viewing seat
75/883i: Not noticed
Progressive: Present and noticeable from viewing seat

I appreciate that this list does not cover every single permutation, but what concerns me is that these lines seem to be a TV 'processing' artifact, in that it is not purely DVD related.

If by some chance this can be remedied by picture position adjustment,

am I right in assuming that there is individual geometry settings for:

PAL 16:9, 14:9, 4:3
NTSC 16:9, 14:9, 4:3
for each of the AV inputs?

(I'm guessing its AV input number dependant, regardless RGB/S-VIDEO/COMPOSITE etc).

Based on your suggestion then, a service menu adjustment of the H-POS(and H-AMP ?) would be enough to lose these lines?

I assume that you'd adjust the picture position to the left, ie away from the lines?

I've briefly checked the NTSC progressive geometry using the THX test; the picture's set well down from horizontal centre and offset to the left. If I centre my picture in NTSC, will I induce this line pattern? Also if PAL has a similar 'factory set' offset left, and I have to adjust left to lose these lines, whatever picture am I going to end up with?.....

Sorry for the long post, but I'd like to crack this - having had a long saga of various TV/DVD exchanges over the last six months, I'm getting heartily sick of the whole business.

Thanks in advance,

Emm.

Equipment:
Panasonic 32PD30
Denon DVD-2200
Netgem freeview

Emm,

Thanks for the detail in your post - I'm somewhat relieved that I'm not the only one that can see the lines!! :clap:

As you've already seen, I've also posted about this problem in the PD30 sticky, but I didn't explain the problem half as well as you did! Your listing of screen setting combinations is very thorough and - fortunately/unfortunately - exactly the results I have for those combinations of settings.... :(

I've tried adjusting H-POS and H-AMP as suggested on the PD30 sticky and unless there are a magic combination of settings that work together to remove the moire effect, then it's not working for me....

Would it be worth keeping the specifics of these problems to the PD30 sticky where maybe more satisfied or disgruntled owners can contribute and help us to sort this out? :confused:

Cheers for the input, :smashin: .

Originally posted by paul710
Yep, thats right - I've just checked with Shrek on R1 that comes with both 4:3 and 16:9 versions and the 4:3 version is stretched to fill the screen.You would have to connect with a scart cable as well so that you could alter the aspect ratio control on the TV to suit 4:3 material. I'm not sure if this is the case with all other TV's though.

It is true that component on AV4 outputs in 16:9 only, but as long as you also have a scart cable attached to the AV4 scart socket from your DVD player, Pioneer DV565 in my case, then the set carries out automatic ratio changing. I have 4:3 as the default setting as I cannot abide Panasonic Auto. With the Pioneer the option to output Progressive as well as Interlaced is available, if Progressive is chosen then the aspect will be 16:9 only.
If the scart is not used then you will not have any sound delivered to the TV unless audio jacks are used, or indeed a proper AV setup.
My word what a fantastic picture, the Alien Quadrilogy on R1 has been a joy.
Incidentally am I the only one whose set buzzes? I know I keep asking but I have become obsessed.
Cheers.

Are you using scart or Svid robtodd?. Its just mine does not like scart from sky+ and I am tempted to change to svid from sky+ problem is to complex for the kids to keep switching AV as it will not auto like scart:(

Originally posted by Anastie
Are you using scart or Svid robtodd?. Its just mine does not like scart from sky+ and I am tempted to change to svid from sky+ problem is to complex for the kids to keep switching AV as it will not auto like scart:(
The AV output from the Pioneer is set S-Video. I can also use Video. If RGB is used in conjunction with Progressive component then AV4 on the TV displays a rolling pattern, which can only be stopped by resetting the DVD player, as I have to do now dammit!
I have a normal Sky Digital Pace box and the output via scart to AV1 is set to the default as RGB gives those odd wavy lines with some transmissions. S-Video is not an option.
Which AV are you using for your SKY+? Are you talking about automatic ratio changing or automatically switching AV inputs? I find I have to toggle between the TV and SKY switches on the Digibox remote to get the TV to pick up the Digibox signal. Turning the TV on takes me firstly to the analogue input, normally it hits VCR, to view SKY if the Digibox is off then simply turning it on switches the TV to the relevant AV input, otherwise toggling is the thing.
Hope this helps.
Cheers.

Originally posted by robtodd
It is true that component on AV4 outputs in 16:9 only, but as long as you also have a scart cable attached to the AV4 scart socket from your DVD player, Pioneer DV565 in my case, then the set carries out automatic ratio changing.

Ah. So you're saying it needs to see a voltage on pin 8 because there's no line 23 switching?

Originally posted by Rojo Habe
Ah. So you're saying it needs to see a voltage on pin 8 because there's no line 23 switching?

Apparently I am. Being as technical as a gorilla's elbow I'll take your word for it.

im wondering, does this tv come with dolby digital sound? and also pro-logic sound?

or does that other flagship TOSHIBA model have these?

The Panny 36PD30 only has 2 speakers and a sub, so has to employ Dolby Virtual to give the surround effects. You can elect to turn this off if you don't like it.

The Tosh 36ZP38, however, comes with 2 speakers and a sub built-in, as with the PD30, but also comes with surround satellite speakers for true Dolby Digital. I sent back 2 ZP38s, so I never got as far as opening the speaker parcel up and finding out whether they supply four satellites or five (ie. a centre speaker)!!

As I remember it, the ZP38 has the speaker connections on the back so that you wire the supplied satellites directly into the back of the box. The TV also has digital inputs to accept the digital feed from a DVD player, and then the TV can decode the signal into the relevant separate channels.

I think that's right, anyway - I didn't really pay much attention to the sound capabilites, as my TV is used primarily as a screen, with my amp and speakers providing the sound. I think that's how Panny are marketing the PD30 - it's aimed more at those who already have a dedicated sound setup and are out for the best CRT display you can get for your money.

Hope that's right (!) and hope that answers your question!!

:hiya:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom