Panasonic PD30 - progressive ?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by efraga, May 4, 2004.

Tags:
  1. efraga

efraga
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

My only problem with my PD30, now, is that when I put a region1 DVD in my Pioneer 656A (both in RGB and component) my only option is to watch it in Progressive mode.

I can not select between 100Hz, Progressive and Acuity scan modes because in the picture menu the 100/Prog/Acuity option just isn't there any more.

1- Is this normal?

2- Since the 656A is not oficially Progressive scan what does this mean ?

PS- I bought my 656A in Portugal, first it was region2 and I made it multi-region.

Thanks in advance,

Eduardo Fraga
    :devil: :clown: :devil:

2. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Progressive is superior to any picture mode because you get rid of the scanlines.

3. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +757
    Hi there Eduardo,

This isn't actually a problem as such. Firstly, for the PD30 to only be accepting a Progressive signal it must be receiving a 'progressive' input:lesson:

Yes, it is 'normal' for the PD30 to act in this way, since a pure progressive signal cannot work with 'interlaced' scan modes anyway, and as Lizzard says, Prog. Scan is superior to interlaced, so who'd want it to:confused:

So since your Pioneer isn't officially progressive, :)lease: this is my specualtion) it seems as if by your making it multi-region, it maybe outputting a PAL60 signal, which equally only plays back in Progressive mode on the PD30.

Hope that helps,

Best regards,

LAGAVULIN

4. efraga

efraga
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Lagavulin,

I'm pleased to know that it's somehow a normal behavior.

Please can tell me whats Pal60 ?

or give me a link to a good web site.

In terms of quality > Pal60 versus NTSC ?

:devil: :clown: :devil:

Eduardo Fraga

5. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +757
    Hi Eduardo,

No probs, happy to help.

Ok, in basic terms; the PAL (i.e. mostly European + Aussie and South African I believe) colour standard runs at 50hz (hertz), or another way of putting it 50 frames (of pictures) a second, e.g. 50fps. NTSC (US & Jap) colour standard runs at 60hz, or 60fps. But making PAL run at 60hz (or 60fps; i.e. PAL60) allows an NTSC signal to play back on a PAL colour standard TV set. This is the type of 'technology' used on those VCR's which can playback NTSC video tapes. It is also a technology used for encoding PAL video games to run smoother than bog-standard PAL50 stuff.

However, as a general rule, most top brand TV's (i.e. the PD30 et al) don't really need a PAL60 signal as most decent DVD players can output a pure NTSC signal, rather than converting it to a quasi-PAL format, e.g PAL60. Obviously, a pure NTSC signal is prefered to a pseudo-NTSC signal, so pure NTSC should be better than PAL60, and PAL60 should be better than normal PAL50:zonked:

As to why this might be happening on your Pioneer though is beyond my limited understanding. I can only assume it's a result of making the player multi-region:confused:

Hope that helps,

Best wishes,

LAGAVULIN