1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic PD30 and Xbox

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by jerkyboy, Jan 1, 2004.

1. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am very close to buting one one these sets, mainly for use with Xbox, and PS2.

How good is the picture quality via Component ??.

What is progressive scan mode like on some PS2 games.

Is the picture sharper via component ??.

Any feedback please.

2. Demolition Man

Demolition Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder too how consoles works with PD30. I also have PS2 and Cube but I can´t decide should I buy PD30 because many in this forum has told that the picture quality with RGB is awful. Anyone, please tell us how it is!?

3. Futski

Futski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have purchased a PD30 just before christmas, and I must say my XBOX via fully wired RGB Scart is excellent, but not 110% perfect.

Thus I am thinking of buying a component video converter box for it and linking it up that way as DVD via this route is excelent.

However, i have a dirty screen when watching footie on Sky via RGB and therefore I am currently not impressed with the rest of the set...so its Project Gotham City2 rather than eastenders for me !!

4. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    why do you want to hook up your xbox via a RGB scart cable into a component convertor? Would it not be cheaper and provide a better picture just to get the component cable for the xbox?

The official xbox cable (at least my one) suffered from the blacks not being black enough, compared to the RGB scart. This was fixed when I switched to the monster component cable.

The PD30 offers noticable improvements when hooked up via component or s-video compared to RGB scart.

5. Futski

Futski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would love to go for the cheaper and easier route. where do i find a component cable for the xbox ?

Dont want to use Svideo as on the panny PD30 its on the front panel.

What do you think about the panny ?

Do you have a dirty screen / watermark on RGB ?

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    PD30 AV2 or 3 IIRC accepts S-video over scart so you would need an adapter £5 at maplins and thats it really!

7. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    play asia do the offical component pack (which works with a US/JPN/UK console)

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-2b-70-1ce-4-7.html

I cannot seem to find a uk supplier (only checked the big online retailers).

I really like my PD30, it offers an amazing picture, if:

1) You spend the time tweaking the settings
    2) Stay away from RGB scart connections

That could just be my set, I've only had one of the first batch, and not needed a replacement one.

8. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the Xbox picture much sharper through component compared to RGB (problems aside).

I have always found the picture to be a bit on the soft side with RGB.

Have you tried any progressive scan games on PS2, is it a big improvement ?.

What problems do you get with RGb scart, are all inputs dodgy ?.

9. Futski

Futski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stupid question but is the Asian Xbox High Definition pack compatable for us in the ? It says its not PAL compatible ! Does this apply to component as well ?

Also with regards to the Maplin adapter what exactly do i need ?

You say that you love your PD30, but what settings do you find the best ? I appreciate that each set is different but it would be nice to understand how others are set up.

The biggest problem i have is the dirty screen affect, which is not really noticable until footie comes on the telly and then its terrible.

As for XBOX RGB is a bit soft with sharpness right down, otherwise it smudges some of the writing (perhaps more settings in the service menu to play with)

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Scarrt>S-video one!

11. Futski

Futski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry you are going to think that I am really thick...BUT what converter do I need ?

I have a Xbox unoffical scart lead. Does the converter plug into this ?

or do I use the composite lead and plug that into a Scart(with svideo socket)

Or are you saying I have to get an xbox Svideo cable and then find a svideo to scart converter ?

I have check the Maplin website but can not find anything which would appear to fit apart from a svideo cable to scart but its much more than £5.

Please can you be more specific.

Regards !!!

(Really interested to note that Svideo via the scart is better than RGB even though its presented though a scart socket...is this really correct, as surely its the same 21 pin connectors or am i missing something)

All help extremely appreciated....

12. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I have the official japanese component leads (came with my Japanese XBox), these work with my US, UK and JPN consoles (yes I have three xboxes). This lead is the same one as the one at play asia that I linked to - I have also been able to use my Monster XBox Component cable with all three xboxes with no problems.

I have not posted a link to the Monster Component cable as its impossible to get any online shops to import it to the UK, I had to get mine via a friend who lives in the US, so I didn't bother linking to it - besides, its £60.

Picture quality is excellent with the official compoenet leads, but it does look softer and less black when compared with the official RGB scart cable - this was fixed when I switched to the higher quality Monster cable. I won't comment on un official cables, most are pretty crap when I've tried them in the past with other consoles. (IXOS, Monster and certain Blaze cables aside).

I run prog scan with my Cube, PS2 and Xbox, it looks "sharper" and there are less jaggies (does not completely remove them like with DVDs) - its not a massive improvement compared to an interlaced game source, but a noticable and welcome improvement over the built in de-interlacer than runs on the progressive video mode for interlaced sources.

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215