panasonic pc input quality th-42pwd6

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by jimbo2, Jun 29, 2004.

1. jimbo2

jimbo2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi-all,
    Read pages and pages of info on this much loved plasma all over this forum but could anyone please tell me if using the v.g.a input or d.v.i external input card for p.c display gives "acceptable" results? Ideally i`d like to view photos occasionally which i`m sure would be ok but say for instance surfing the internet, would text be legible to read with its resolution? I know higher res plasmas are available but i`m still drawn to this model.(AND IT`S CHEAPER!), only the hitachi42pd500 seems within reach which has the higher resolution but i kind of got my heart set on the panny! Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks :)

2. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was wondering this also

You can use Powerstrip to set the output resolution to same as Plasma which would help

I also wondered what HD Material would look like playing on plasma from PC

3. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    The Hitachi is an ALIS panel so while the extra resolution is there, it is only using half the lines at once and flickering the image so you get slightly soft edges on everything. The Panasonic 852x480 does well if you send it 1024 x 768, or use powerstrip to send exactly 852 x 480. Text is readable for the odd bit of browsing (nothing more though). High Def Video fed from a PC is awesome, sharper still on the hig res model but stil absolutely awesome on the standard. If you plan to do a lot of surfing rather than just the odd bit of playing around then you should get a demo to judge for yourself.

4. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    You can use the screen to view pictures, do PowerPoint presentations etc. But for doing any serious computer work, then it's best to use a serious PC display! PC monitors are best for this, and CRT being the prefered option. TFT displays are very good, but for resolution can't match a very good CRT. I'm still old school when it comes to PC monitors - my IBM 21" being superb!

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

5. jimbo2

jimbo2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I didn`t realize the resolution on the hitachi wasn`t as it seemed, many thanks for your help everyone, cheers :)

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,123
    jimbo2

I'm with the others on not using the 852x480 displays for anything other than the odd bit of PC work - though I have to say move up to a 1024x768 Panasonic 42" HD or Pioneer MXE1 and its a fair step forward in PC legibility even with small text.

We have a fair few customers using the 43" Pioneer MXE Displays for Video and Home PC duties and all say they enjoy the experience.

Best regards

Joe