1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic PC DVD writers?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by General Panic, Aug 22, 2003.

1. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Guys
    In the process of buying my first PC Dvd writer and have narrowed my choice down to 2 Panasonic machines. The LF-D521E which e-buyer has for £142 boxed version or the SW9571CYY drive for £100 OEM version.
    I was after a drive that records onto RAM and -R to complement my Toshiba standalone machine and these 2 look like they can do the job.
    Any owners out there with any recomedations or any machines i should maybe checkout.? My budget stands at £150 and i use Windows XP Pro if that helps or not.

:D

TIA

General Panic

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    I have the LF-521 drive - it's given excellent service. Haven't actually used much of the software that came with the drive (apart from the DVD-RAM Format utility) as I already had Nero.

If you thought being able to make editted recordings onto DVD-R using your HDD/DVDR combo was good wait until you see some of the things you can create with a PC DVD Burner! It also provides a very easy way of backing up your existing DVD-Rs.

3. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Cheers Rasczak as usual for a quick reply. The LF drive was the one i was going to buy till i saw the other Panny. They both sound very similar and as i will probablly use my own software i didn't want to slpash out £40 or so more for what might be the same drive?
    I was hoping someone in here might have the other model and let me know.
    On the subject of media , is a PC drive similar to the standalone machines in needs. I was hoping to be able to use my Datawrite yellows -R on the Panasonic? Or i do i need a faster X-speed disc?

Thanks again.

General Panic

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    The Panasonic DVD burners are the same core drives as included in the set-tops. AFAIK the Toshiba RX3 uses a Panny sourced drive so again should be the same. There do tend to be firmware differences, which could affect your use of media, but the only way your going to know is by trial and error.

My old desktop had the Panasonic LF310 (DVD-RAM/-R only) which was the same core as the E20/30/HS2 but Mirror DVD-Rs which worked on my E20 would record but not play properly on my LF310. Yet I have no problems in this department on my current DVD burner - everything I through at it burns and plays properly - so I would suggest that may have been an early compatibility problem that was simply solved.

Firmware updates are issued on a semi-regular basis on the internet which, should you run into problems, may lead to a solution. In which case why not bookmark this page for future reference:
    http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php

I should stress though you'll unlikely to need this - I've thrown all sorts of write-once media at my current unit (Panasonic, JVC, Sony, Mirror, Verbatim, Maxell, TDK, Packard Bell, Pioneer) and it's all worked successfully. Only ever had coasters from Mirror disks (but given they are so cheap this is hardly a big issue).

5. sparkybun

sparkybun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    hi,

They are essentially the same drive. Save yourself £40 and go for the 9571.

cheers

mel

6. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks again Rasczak for that info , as you say trail and error.

Sparky , i think your right. I just did another Google search and found a thread stating both drive codes were the same , one retail and one OEM. I usually prefer the retail versions of these kinda goods but in this case i think i'll go for the OEM one.

Cheers

Panic

7. yonderblue

yonderblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    True, But I am sure I read somewhere that the 9571 does not allow you to insert DVD-RAM in their cartridges where as the Retail LF-521 does. But as long as you buy DVD-RAM's that can be removed from the cartridge it's should not be a problem with the 9571.

8. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for that Yonderblue. My RAM disks at the mo are all in caddies. OK then maybe the retail version is the one to get. Glad i didn't order it last night.
    I'll leave it over the weekend and see if any other words of wisdom come my way. :)

Panic

9. yonderblue

yonderblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    There are different types of DVD-RAM's some that can be removed from the caddies some that can't here is a list

4.7GB / 9.4GB (5"/12cm/120mm) DVD-RAM's :-

Type 1: sealed (non-removable); for single and double sided DVD-RAM

Type 2: removable; for single sided DVD-RAM. Has a sensor hole originally closed that will stay open as soon as the case is opened for the first time so you'll know the original disk has been removed

Type 3: empty; same as Type 2 but the sensor hole is always open;

Type 4: removable; for double-sided DVD-RAM

Type 5: empty; same as Type 4

2.8GB (3"/8cm/80mm) DVD-RAM's :-

Type 6: removable; for double sided DVD-RAM

Type 7: removable; for single sided DVD-RAM

Type 8: empty; for double sided DVD-RAM

Type 9: empty; for single sided DVD-RAM

-----------------------------------------------------------

10. sparkybun

sparkybun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi,

WRONG!! The 9571 accepts caddied disks, I've got one.
    It's the 9581 that doesn't accept caddied disks.

cheers

Mel

11. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for all the advice people. I've just taken Mel's advice and ordered the 9571 for £100 on the dot from ebuyer.
    Just need to go looking online for appropriate software now :)

Panic

12. yonderblue

yonderblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thank you for pointing that out, I will now go and stand in the corner of the room.

13. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wanted to clarify something that seems to be confusing some people???

The only difference between an Oem drive and a retail drive is the accompanying software etc. With the retail version you get leads, software manual etc. with the Oem you get basically nothing apart from the drive. So when you try to say that one model can't do something and the other can, then your mistaken as they are the same drive just given different numbers for different distribution

14. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Sinbrad
    I think the confusion , in my part at least , was the fact i didn't realise with completly different manufacture numbers both Panasonic drives in question were the same. I knew OEM meant bare drive but if the other model was a more recent release as well as having the software etc it would have been worth the extra dosh just for it being an updated drive if you see what i mean?

General Panic